Bruins did a good job with no cap space

yave1964

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.607988527155906922&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Boston entered the trade deadline with a desperate need at wing and no cap space. Other teams were drooling at the possibility of prying one of the Bruins young d-men away from them in exchange for help on the Wing. Without help on the Wing the Bruins are in big trouble.

I watched the Trade deadline show on TV, waiting to hear that the Bruins had made a panic move and traded Krug or Hamilton to fill a hole.

Instead, they went out and with a nip and a tuck here and there may have done enough to help the team get into the postseason without giving up one of their prized young blueliners.

First, yesterday Brett Connolly came over from the Lightning in exchange for two second round picks. He is not a bad prospect, Tampa is just in the unique position of being absolutely loaded at forward especially on the wing and there is only one puck so Connolly was the odd man out. Connolly was the 6th pick in the draft in 2011 has 12 goals in 50 games after nearly a point a game last year in the AHL. His salary easily fits under the cap.

Then they traded for Maxime Talbot who came from Colorado for perennial underachiever Caron, Talbot is getting up there but he is a third liner who can play any position.

Zach Phillips came over from the Wild organization in exchange for Jared Knight, another underachiever. Phillips is another former first rounder with some offensive skill, likely to play at the AHL level but likely wouldn't embarrass himself if recalled to the big club.

Finally Paul Carey came over from Colorado in the Talbot deal. The Boston native has bounced up and down between the Avalanche and Lake Erie, a bit old for a prospect but I have watched him the three times I went to see a Lake Erie game this year, he is a heads up smart player with a sneaky shot. He will likely be with the Bruins down the stretch.

So with no money the Bruins netted a solid player in Connolly, a veteran of many a playoff in Talbot, and two forwards who could help down the stretch if recalled. Frankly, I think they had an under the radar quietly solid deadline.

All of the draft review "experts" gave Boston poor ratings on this one.

That is because they were looking for them to go out and trade Krug or Hamilton and figure out how to get a big name. Instead, they added Connolly who is going to wind up with 20 plus goals, Talbot, who, I mean, is not the player he once was but for a third/4th liner is very adequate, and two AHLers with NHL experience who can step in. Don't get me wrong, it is not the Aanheim Ducks or the Black Hawks or one of the other teams who added big names, but I like Connolly, Talbot helps and the two AHLers give organizational depth at the teams biggest weak spot. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means saying they won the cup with this haul but they are a much better team now than they were before the deadline and without giving up a key player off the team.

Archived