The next two games

The next two games are biggest games of the season.

Absolutely.  A win in each of these games (in any fashion whatsoever) will determine the fate of this season.  It'll put critical distance between their competition and it will also create the first back-to-back win for the Red Wings in over a month.  The month of March sucked, let's call it what it is.  Now March is (will be) over, so put it in the books and forget about it.  New Month - New Team.  To quote one of Babcock's favorite platitudes - "Our best players need to be our best players"

@WingNut722

I always loved that quote, I find it to be real guuud.

Two wins this week and nothing else matters, we are in like we should be, sure, a bit of a minor scare but nobody ever got more than 3 points of us. That is why the Bruins game is so critical, we gotta put them away.

@yave1964

Let's face it: if they Beat Boston, but they lose to other opponents and Boston wins, same thing. We've gotta be consistent! What good is it if we beat Boston but then lose to The Wild and, say, Carolina and Boston wins their games? And Ottawa wins theirs?

Boston had a better March than we did. If they have a better April, they may have a much better May & June than we will.

And we'd better keep one eye on Ottawa, as I mentioned (I think) in another thread. They have been the most improved team in the second half, and if we keep playing like we are, they are within striking distance. @Old School Hockey is right to be concerned, maybe not yet worried about that. But if we don't win either game of the next two, then yep! Worrying time!

Disappointed, but not surprised with Mrazek's performance last night. He's still got a lot to learn. I like him, but he is still on the steep part of the learning curve, and that can hurt for a bit. And in the regular season you can afford to give up a few of those. How many can you afford to give up in a best-of-seven against a playoff opponent?

@SpikeDDS

Maybe I'm being a bit naive about this, but Mrazek may be very good in the playoffs, and here's why.  I know the kid has no experience in the post-season, and a lot of people look to that as a mark against him, but Mrazek is a bit different.  I think he may be young enough and brash enough not to give a damn.  He goes out there and plays his game.  He may get lit up, sure, but he just may keep pace.  He's getting lit up now (yesterday) and he's learning from it.  This being so close to the post-season, he may develop his thick-skin just in time.

@WingNut722

I'm not so worried about Mrazek. I agree with you that he's probably young enough where if he had a bad game it wouldn't matter. And it won't...so long as it's just 1. If he has 2...

But the larger issue is the team. They've gotta play like they KNOW that he's gonna make the saves he's supposed to make. The D can't afford to think they need to cheat to make up the difference or this thing is over before it starts. The TEAM has to believe in whomever is back there.

Archived