Shootout Woes

WingNut722

-d443a10fb4573618.jpg

I think we all knew that last night's game against the Sens was going to be a low-scoring affair.  Mrazek was unbelievable and I doubt he had much of a chance on that shot from MacArthur (though he did get a piece of it).  But the shoot-out...oh woe to the shootout.  

Nyquist?  Wonderful!  

Tatar?  Good choice!  

Zidlicky?   Umm......okay well being that Nyquist and Tatar both made their shots then we should be okay.  

Wait, you say Mrazek let in the first two Sens shooters as well?  Okay no big deal, you can't really blame Mike Babcock because he had to turn in his list with all three names prior to the start.  

What?  You say he doesn't have to do that anymore?  How curious...  

Well Zid's got a good hard right-hand shot from the point and he could probably just blow it past the Hamburglar.  No problem!

Umm..he tried to juggle, deke, and dangle like his two predecessors?  Well I got nothing.  

Thank God Mrazek stopped a shot!  Okay no harm no foul!  Who we got next?

..........................Stephen Weiss.....???

Was Abdelkader in the bathroom or something?  Was Zetterberg busy with the paperwork?  Did Darren Helm have to leave early to get diapers at CVS before they closed?

ZIDLICKY AND WEISS???  

I have to be missing something here.  Somebody PLEASE explain this to me........

I think we all knew that last night's game against the Sens was going to be a low-scoring affair.  Mrazek was unbelievable and I doubt he had much of a chance on that shot from MacArthur (though he did get a piece of it).  But the shoot-out...oh woe to the shootout.  

Nyquist?  Wonderful!  

Tatar?  Good choice!  

Zidlicky?   Umm......okay well being that Nyquist and Tatar both made their shots then we should be okay.  

Wait, you say Mrazek let in the first two Sens shooters as well?  Okay no big deal, you can't really blame Mike Babcock because he had to turn in his list with all three names prior to the start.  

What?  You say he doesn't have to do that anymore?  How curious...  

Well Zid's got a good hard right-hand shot from the point and he could probably just blow it past the Hamburglar.  No problem!

Umm..he tried to juggle, deke, and dangle like his two predecessors?  Well I got nothing.  

Thank God Mrazek stopped a shot!  Okay no harm no foul!  Who we got next?

..........................Stephen Weiss.....???

Was Abdelkader in the bathroom or something?  Was Zetterberg busy with the paperwork?  Did Darren Helm have to leave early to get diapers at CVS before they closed?

ZIDLICKY AND WEISS???  

I have to be missing something here.  Somebody PLEASE explain this to me........

I did not see the game itself but I have noticed that some coaches have a tendency to "reward" for lack of a better term, players who worked hard/hustled throughout the game. This is probably why the Flyers absolutely suck when it comes to the shoot out. Was Datsyuk out or something? I would have him penciled into my top 3 for shootout before the game even started.....

@WingNut722

The only advantage of the multiple shootout losses is we are winning the first tiebreaker against both Boston and Ottawa, which is the ROW category, regulation, overtime wins so in essence we have another point on both teams. They cannot tie us, they have to actually beat us out.

That said I agree, where was Z or Helm or Abdelkader, Weiss and Zidlicky? Really, that is the best that we have??

I did not see the game itself but I have noticed that some coaches have a tendency to "reward" for lack of a better term, players who worked hard/hustled throughout the game. This is probably why the Flyers absolutely suck when it comes to the shoot out. Was Datsyuk out or something? I would have him penciled into my top 3 for shootout before the game even started.....

Datsyuk was a last minute scratch from the game, but yes he is almost always among the top 3 shooters.  I can see the notion of rewarded a player for good hustle during the game.  But when that player is a defenseman (Zidlicky) to begin with, how well does that player need to be in order to be selected for what is clearly an offensive task?  (And he was not the lone scorer in regulation, that was Nyquist).  Specifically, Zid did not play bad, but he wasn't exceptional.

Archived