Classic Article on the Hakstol Hiring

@ruxpin I'm very interested to see who Hak hires as an Asst Coach that is responsible for the defense. Considering how are prospect pool is set up, the asst in charge of defense is going to a major contributor from the get go AND must be a strong teacher. The other big hire will whoever is in charge of the power play, both will play huge roles.

Agreed.

I may have missed it. Did they hire a goalie coach yet?

@ruxpin I'm very interested to see who Hak hires as an Asst Coach that is responsible for the defense. Considering how are prospect pool is set up, the asst in charge of defense is going to a major contributor from the get go AND must be a strong teacher. The other big hire will whoever is in charge of the power play, both will play huge roles.

I wonder if there are any former Oregon Ducks left.

Go Beavers

Actually no because to me they are diametrically opposed.

what is "diametrically opposed" the coaching styles of Hakstol and Berube? it doesn't read that way to me. Jack gave a good example talking about DZ and there are others - the way he talks about accountability, playing 200 feet, etc.

He got back in the lineup, played Berube's way, and that was that. Everything that I've heard about Hakstol suggests he would do the same thing.

edit: @ruxpin

I know you think Berube is a complete bonehead who doesn't  have an ounce of intelligence. Maybe so but I figure a guy doesn't get a HC gig without quite a few people believing he merits the chance. My point isn't to stick up for Berube it's only to say that he and Haxtol sound fairly similar in their approach. Describing he and Berube as "diametrically opposed" is off-base I think. Obviously we don't know how Haxtol will handle the Flyers - just going by what I've read, his comments.

If you meant Lavy and Berube are diametrically opposed - i can see that, which is why I called Haxtol's [projected] style an amalgam of those 2 coaches, "familiar" to Flyers' fans I think I said. Savvy?

If you meant Lavy and Berube are diametrically opposed - i can see that, which is why I called Haxtol's [projected] style an amalgam of those 2 coaches, "familiar" to Flyers' fans I think I said. Savvy?

Yeah, that's what I meant but agree that I wasn't clear.

Amalgam I'm not sure, but somewhere in the middle yes (which is what I was driving at with Blitzkrieg vs. Scorched Earth.  He HAS to be in the middle.).

I think we're probably on the same page with this one.

As for Hakstol vs. Berube first I have to say that you're right it's hard to say given we haven't seen Hakstol yet.   But just based on advertisement and things he's said (taken with a cautious grain) I don't think he and Berube have a similar approach.  And not just because I do think Berube is a complete bonehead.

It's more because at ND he seemed to be able to make adjustments other than just flopping new lines together.  He seems to be a bit more Xs and Os than Berube.  And, hopefully (yet to be seen), he actually follows through on the accountability he talks about.  I'm guardedly optimistic there but only guardedly given that Berube, too, talked about accountability coming in and then displayed anything but.

I will give you this, though:  he seems to be closer to Berube in regard to defense-first than he is to Lavy.  I don't expect the run and gun that Lavy seemed to prefer.

So, as am writing you and thinking in context of what you said ... yeah, amalgam is probably not a bad term actually.

Archived