HABS sign Jeff Petry 6 years, 33 million dollars

yave1964

Petry's contract  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the contract?

• about right
    • Too much
    • a bargain

I would have to think that if Kieth was a UFA later this month, he would get a 7 year max contract....I mean, teams would be lining up to pay him that....so the Hawks "slight" discount deal has evolved into a big giant robbery of monumental proportions. I suspect the agent who told Kieth to sign that deal is dismissed. That deal showed no foresight for the cap shooting upwards, or how crazy GM's down the road would be with money to burn in their pockets.

I suspect, in a few short years, decently young 30-35 goal scoring UFA's will make around 9 or 10 mill a year.....a figure reserved only for franchise players right now....how long for this...2 years, UFA class of 2017 is my guess. All depends on how the cap rises, but I expect a big jump in the next few years after this....and hey...that would get us close to the next strike/labour lock out....and all the Owners can once again cry poor and dispense their awkward brand of justice....starve the fans who feed the tummy!!!

I suspect, in a few short years, decently young 30-35 goal scoring UFA's will make around 9 or 10 mill a year.....a figure reserved only for franchise players right now

Let's take a look at the potential future here, with an assumption that you can plug in 4 line and 3rd pairing guys at close to minimum

10-10-8 (28)

8-8-8 (24)

5-5-5 (15)

.8-.8-.8 (2.4)

7-8 (15)

5.5-5.5 (11) - these are Andrew MacDonald-type numbers(!) :ph34r:

.8-.8 (1.6)

That's a $101.5M payroll. We can quibble about details and shave off parts here and there, but they are heading towards a scenario where they are pricing themselves out of being able to ice a team unless the cap goes up by 40-50%.

and hey...that would get us close to the next strike/labour lock out....and all the Owners can once again cry poor and dispense their awkward brand of justice

Exactly.

If you're paying run of the mill players $5M a season, you're screwed.

Archived