Moves still to be made

I get the feeling the DW is not done making moves this offseason. Honestly, if he could, I would move Marleau out. Probably to a team like Montreal. I think the Habs should be interesting enough to Patty to get him to waive his NTC. Where does he fit on the current team? I don't know. Speculation on lines are:

48-19-8

39-50-57

83-12-82

89-21-68/71/18

Can #12 play the center position again? Will he accept a 3rd line role?

Not if he can Top 6 somewhere else in contention...

The the Sharks need a LW, and Hertl goes to 3C, which he looks best at.

I wouldn't mind 39-19-8. Could be a dynamic line. Remember when Couture was just coming up and he was playing great with Jumbo?

Any other ideas on moves?

To me defense looks good.

44-61

7-88

4-41/80

(34)

I get the feeling the DW is not done making moves this offseason. Honestly, if he could, I would move Marleau out. Probably to a team like Montreal. I think the Habs should be interesting enough to Patty to get him to waive his NTC. Where does he fit on the current team? I don't know. Speculation on lines are:

48-19-8

39-50-57

83-12-82

89-21-68/71/18

I wouldn't mind 39-19-8. Could be a dynamic line. Remember when Couture was just coming up and he was playing great with Jumbo?

44-61

7-88

4-41/80

(34)

Quite frankly, I think Marleau is staying and want to see how he responds under a new coach.

Last time he dogged it this badly was the year he wanted Ron WIlson fired. He still has his speed and skill.

The fact that Stalock(Who was twice benched after shutouts and no given a fair shake) and Marleau were the first sharks at the presser introducing the new coach spoke volumes to me. Wingels being there was a bit surprising

Quite frankly, I think Marleau is staying and want to see how he responds under a new coach.

Last time he dogged it this badly was the year he wanted Ron WIlson fired. He still has his speed and skill.

The fact that Stalock(Who was twice benched after shutouts and no given a fair shake) and Marleau were the first sharks at the presser introducing the new coach spoke volumes to me. Wingels being there was a bit surprising

Wingels has always been an under-the-radar team guy. I love him. 

I agree with you that Marleau probably isn't going anywhere, but he's the only logical move to me. DW isn't always logical though.

Stalock was benched by TM, and he's gone. DeBoer will probably having a longer leash to start the season.

Wingels has always been an under-the-radar team guy. I love him. 

I agree with you that Marleau probably isn't going anywhere, but he's the only logical move to me. DW isn't always logical though.

Stalock was benched by TM, and he's gone. DeBoer will probably having a longer leash to start the season.

Marleau has a full No movement clause and said he would not waive, just like Jumbo did lol.

Jumbo flat said ""If the fans don't want me anymore, then i would leave". The fans responded with a standing ovation, while booing DW.

Marleau said if he felt he was no longer wanted he would leave. Pretty much the same thing

Part of me wants to see Jumbo and Marleau stick around but another part of me wants to see them go, Sharks could get some decent prospects and picks for them that could really solidify SJ's future moving forward. As a Canadian as well I was really impressed with Burns at the 2015 World Championships, he was incredible on route to being named the best defender, hopefully he can continue his form from that tournament this October. 

Part of me wants to see Jumbo and Marleau stick around but another part of me wants to see them go, Sharks could get some decent prospects and picks for them that could really solidify SJ's future moving forward. As a Canadian as well I was really impressed with Burns at the 2015 World Championships, he was incredible on route to being named the best defender, hopefully he can continue his form from that tournament this October. 

I think we are fine and they should retire Sharks. Quite frankly, they are the two best superstars in Sharks history and should get the Sakic/Yzerman treatment from the fanbase.

Sharks drafting has proven high picks don't mean crap. We get so many 1st round busts and late round gems.

You almost want to cry when you see how we drafted Steve Bernier as an "out there" pick, over universally ranked higher guys like Getzlaf, Parise and Burns(Who went almost immediately after(Kinda like Boston's picks this year lol. Passing on Barzal and Connor)

I forgive the Kaspar pick the next year, mostly because it was not the greatest draft.

But Setoguchi over Kopitar? Kopitar was ranked higher, and both had work ethic issues, but for some reason, we went with Seto. At least he let us get Burns lol. Kopitar of course, went on to be a thorn in our side.(in fact, a salted cactus up our butts)

Ty Wishart? lol. At least we traded him in time before everyone found out what we knew and got Boyle.

Trading up for Couture was a masterstroke, even if it ended Toskala's career with the blue and White goalie graveyard. but Patrecki? Why can't Sommer develop defensemen?

Fortunately, we have been extremely fortunate with our 2nd-7th round picks. Even if coaching does give up on them a bit too soon sometimes. Bonino, McGinn, Ehrhoff, etc

but We milked what we could from Clowe and Murray :) and Vlasic/Pavelski are still going strong!

I think we are fine and they should retire Sharks. Quite frankly, they are the two best superstars in Sharks history and should get the Sakic/Yzerman treatment from the fanbase.

Sharks drafting has proven high picks don't mean crap. We get so many 1st round busts and late round gems.

You almost want to cry when you see how we drafted Steve Bernier as an "out there" pick, over universally ranked higher guys like Getzlaf, Parise and Burns(Who went almost immediately after(Kinda like Boston's picks this year lol. Passing on Barzal and Connor)

I forgive the Kaspar pick the next year, mostly because it was not the greatest draft.

But Setoguchi over Kopitar? Kopitar was ranked higher, and both had work ethic issues, but for some reason, we went with Seto. At least he let us get Burns lol. Kopitar of course, went on to be a thorn in our side.(in fact, a salted cactus up our butts)

Ty Wishart? lol. At least we traded him in time before everyone found out what we knew and got Boyle.

Trading up for Couture was a masterstroke, even if it ended Toskala's career with the blue and White goalie graveyard. but Patrecki? Why can't Sommer develop defensemen?

Fortunately, we have been extremely fortunate with our 2nd-7th round picks. Even if coaching does give up on them a bit too soon sometimes. Bonino, McGinn, Ehrhoff, etc

but We milked what we could from Clowe and Murray :) and Vlasic/Pavelski are still going strong!

Obviously there were a lot of poor decisions made on the draft floor, with regards to Toskala he wasn't really that great to say his career was ended or ruined after being traded as his stats were pretty much the same in SJ and TOR. The sample size with Toskala in SJ is also so small with how few games he played which also helps his stats appear better…he never got the chance to play 60+ games so those stats would fall a little. He never played more than 38 games in a season so we never really knew how good/bad/consistent he was going to be.

Toskala

2002–03 San Jose Sharks NHL 11GP 4W 3L  1OT       2.35 .927 2003–04 San Jose Sharks NHL 28GP 12W 8L 4OT       2.06 .930 2005–06 San Jose Sharks NHL 37GP 23W 7L 4OT       2.56 .901 2006–07 San Jose Sharks NHL 38GP 26W 10L 1OT       2.35 .908 2007–08 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 66GP 33W 25L 6OT       2.74 .904 2008–09 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 53GP 22W 17L 11OT       3.26 .891 2009–10 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 26GP 7W 12L 3OT       3.66 .874

48-19-8

39-50-57

83-12-82

89-21-68/71/18

44-61

7-88

4-41/80

(34)

Patty fits perfectly on the line with Cooch. Why not try slotting Joel Ward next to the Joes to attempt at a Burns 2.0 line? I know they aren't the same player as forwards (Burns is lightyears better), but Ward can at least do the forechecking while the Joes set up. The best teams do not stack their lines, they spread the wealth. And I don't think we will fetch a high return as you think. Look at recent deals of top-6 forwards getting traded like Ryan Kesler and TJ Oshie. Now imagine a declining 35 year old fetching that kind of return, it just won't happen so we should keep Patty for his career. We owe him that much for throwing him under the bus (unjustified) every time the depth can't score a goal in the playoffs. He is regressing, but he is still very capable and *should* bounce back.

We will probably run with:

Pavs-Jumbo-Ward

Patty-cooch-Nieto

Wingels-Tierney-Hertl

Torres-Smith-Brown/Goodrow/Goldobin/Meier/Chartier etc...

We could also very well make a bottom-6 like this if Tierney gets a sophomore slump:

Wingels-Hertl-Torres

Smith-Tierney-Goodrow/etc....

I personally like the 2nd bottom-6 because it makes our center depth crazy deep but both will suffice, though I don't think center is Smith's natural position. Unlike last year, the Sharks have a lot of interchangeable parts among the 4 lines so we could mix and match to see what fits best. Having a ton of converted centers helps with that as well as the signing of jack-of-all-trades guy Joel Ward.

Patty fits perfectly on the line with Cooch. Why not try slotting Joel Ward next to the Joes to attempt at a Burns 2.0 line? I know they aren't the same player as forwards (Burns is lightyears better), but Ward can at least do the forechecking while the Joes set up. The best teams do not stack their lines, they spread the wealth. And I don't think we will fetch a high return as you think. Look at recent deals of top-6 forwards getting traded like Ryan Kesler and TJ Oshie. Now imagine a declining 35 year old fetching that kind of return, it just won't happen so we should keep Patty for his career. We owe him that much for throwing him under the bus (unjustified) every time the depth can't score a goal in the playoffs. He is regressing, but he is still very capable and *should* bounce back.

We will probably run with:

Pavs-Jumbo-Ward

Patty-cooch-Nieto

Wingels-Tierney-Hertl

Torres-Smith-Brown/Goodrow/Goldobin/Meier/Chartier etc...

We could also very well make a bottom-6 like this if Tierney gets a sophomore slump:

Wingels-Hertl-Torres

Smith-Tierney-Goodrow/etc....

I personally like the 2nd bottom-6 because it makes our center depth crazy deep but both will suffice, though I don't think center is Smith's natural position. Unlike last year, the Sharks have a lot of interchangeable parts among the 4 lines so we could mix and match to see what fits best. Having a ton of converted centers helps with that as well as the signing of jack-of-all-trades guy Joel Ward.

I agree that we should keep Marleau. He would be the first top 6 guy I would move if DW decided we needed to move one, though.

You're right, Marleau has great chemistry with Couture. But it is evident that Marleau is slowing down. He might be more suited for a strong third line. Imagine Marleau-Hertl-Ward. That would be a great third line in the NHL! Speed, forechecking, backchecking, grit, goal scoring ability.

I don't agree with you on Joel Ward. I think he will see some time with Thornton and Pavelski at some point, but he is not going to be anything close to Burns 2.0. He is simply not Brent Burns. He, again, is more suited for a third line role. Like I said, he will move up and down the lineup because he is a good player and does a lot in a lot of different roles. But long term, over the whole season, he is a third liner.

Personally, I think the top line does need a power forward, though. Something like Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski or Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski. Someone to go get the puck to Thornton, so he can pass it to Pavs.

I honestly doubt we will see Goldobin this year. At least not to start. I think he is going to be a good player in this league, but give him time to develop in the AHL, and he will provide a lot more next year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

?

I think both these players should be moved, time to move on and completely rebuild.

In another year or two neither one of these guys will have any value on the market , so now would be the time to move them and move onward with younger players.

These two despite management and coaching being blamed for the teams short comings in the playoffs should be shouldering a lot of the blame for playoff collapses.

They just don't get it done and have proven to come up short time and time again when it really matters.

Heck they couldn't even make the playoffs last year, when on paper they should have been a shoe in with the players on the team.

At some point it comes down to on ice leadership, and imo these two have been just as guilty of the team failing as Wilson , and McClellan are{were}. :hocky:

48-19-8

39-50-57

83-12-82

89-21-68/71/18

44-61

7-88

4-41/80

(34)

I don't understand the center depth logic here.

Cooch has been serviceable as a 1/2C guy and managed to generate points despite the entire team playing like garbage (save Jumbo) last year. Moving him to the wing and pushing a 2nd year player up to fill his role is a recipe for disaster. Tierney is great, but we have to brace for a sophomore slump so the expectations should be lower for him this year. With the acquisition of Joel Ward we now have a piece who can slot in anywhere in the lineup and play. Start him next to the Joes and see how he performs before we re-unite Hertl with them.

As for Patty, his numbers were abysmal, but not consistent with how he has played over his career. Trading him at the lowest point of his stock would be unwise and a slap to the face to a career Shark. He has played his best with Cooch so we should continue that chemistry and make that second line dynamic.

Here is what the optimal lines should be to help the depth problem from last year:

Ward-Jumbo-Pavs

Patty-Cooch-Nieto

Wingels-Hertl-Karlsson

Smith-Tierney-Torres/Goodrow/Goldobin/Brown

Remember that Tierney is only 21 and that we do not need to give him huge minutes here. He has to earn his time and with a fourth line like that, this team can roll everyone and be confident they can score goals.

The Sharks need a top-6 dman to replace the too-young Mueller so we have depth there.That kid is not ready yet.

I don't understand the center depth logic here.

Cooch has been serviceable as a 1/2C guy and managed to generate points despite the entire team playing like garbage (save Jumbo) last year. Moving him to the wing and pushing a 2nd year player up to fill his role is a recipe for disaster. Tierney is great, but we have to brace for a sophomore slump so the expectations should be lower for him this year. With the acquisition of Joel Ward we now have a piece who can slot in anywhere in the lineup and play. Start him next to the Joes and see how he performs before we re-unite Hertl with them.

As for Patty, his numbers were abysmal, but not consistent with how he has played over his career. Trading him at the lowest point of his stock would be unwise and a slap to the face to a career Shark. He has played his best with Cooch so we should continue that chemistry and make that second line dynamic.

Here is what the optimal lines should be to help the depth problem from last year:

Ward-Jumbo-Pavs

Patty-Cooch-Nieto

Wingels-Hertl-Karlsson

Smith-Tierney-Torres/Goodrow/Goldobin/Brown

Remember that Tierney is only 21 and that we do not need to give him huge minutes here. He has to earn his time and with a fourth line like that, this team can roll everyone and be confident they can score goals.

The Sharks need a top-6 dman to replace the too-young Mueller so we have depth there.That kid is not ready yet.

The entire team playing like garbage, except Joe Thornton? Are you forgetting Joe PAVELSKI? I don't know if you consider him playing like garbage last year. He was the most consistent player on the Sharks roster, and deserved to go to the All-Star Game more than anyone (Brent Burns deserved to go, but not before Pavelski).

As far as Joel Ward is concerned, he played most of his time in Washington on the third line. He played in big moments with Ovechkin because they don't have a great pair for him. Joel Ward will see most of his time on the third line. If you think that he will play most of his time on the first line, you're crazy. The guy has never done that is his life. Can we stop all the hype on Joel Ward? He is a great depth signing. Do you really think he is going to stick with Joe and Joe? (Although it would be funny with Joe, Joe, and Joel). He's scored more than 40 points ONCE. He's scored more than 20 goals ONCE. We finally have the depth that we have always been lacking. Don't make this more than it is.

We are more likely to see him with Patty and Couture on the "second" line if anything. Couture plays real well with a powerforward on his line, and that is what Joel Ward is.

Couture is a great player on the top two lines. But, he is not that great at faceoffs, and he benefits from other creative players on the ice. In the long term, he is going to play wing for either Pavelski or Tierney, both of whom are better at faceoffs. Tierney is just so creative on the ice. He sees the ice. I hesitate to compare him to Thornton, but that's honestly what he looked like in juniors. I know we should expect a sophomore slump from him (see Tomas Hertl), but if he doesn't slump...

As face as Marleau playing the third center line, he has not looked the same in the defensive zone the last couple of years. I wouldn't say he is declining, but he has been getting beat in the d-zone. That being said, the third line is probably the most sheltered line in hockey. They play a decent amount of minutes, and contribute offensively, but they almost always start in the offensive zone. They play in the right situation, usually against the other team's fourth line. They don't play against lines like the Triplets in Tampa or Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim. Given the fact that Marleau was a serviceable center when he still played the position, it stands to argue that he could move back there. This move is predicated that Tierney makes the jump up to the top 6, but if he does do that, I think it's Hertl or Marleau that moves down. Given that the Sharks need to get Hertl back into Ninja Hertl form (see Martin Biron's retirement party), I think he stay up and Marleau moves down. He will still be on the first powerplay, and he will still score a lot.

Maybe something like

19-39-8

48-50-57

is more appropriate. Keep in mind that the "first line" will probably have three centers on it (someone added to Thornton and Pavelski), no matter how you slice it, so all of them will be playing wing at some point. 

Last, if you think the best thing to do for Goldobin is to stick him on the fourth line, and probably play the same kind of minutes that John Scott (I just saw him at the Michigan Technological University Alumni Game, cause I go there. Go Huskies!!) did last year, then you should probably join Todd in Edmonton. He needs playing time to develop. He is not going to get that playing almost strictly defense for six minutes a game on the fourth line. I don't expect him to beat out anyone for a third line role this year, so he should be back in juniors or the AHL (I don't know if he is eligible for the AHL) next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on more than one occasion during the season, but the right wing is kind of crowded.

I agree with your comment about Mueller. He needs work. A couple of months playing top pair for the Barracuda would serve him nicely.  But just as Mirco was rushed to the show, you are risking doing the same with Goaldobin! a year later. The signing of Ward means someone is not going to stick with the Sharks, but that isn't a bad thing. Developing Goldobin's game could be the best thing for the Sharks. 

The entire team playing like garbage, except Joe Thornton? Are you forgetting Joe PAVELSKI? I don't know if you consider him playing like garbage last year. He was the most consistent player on the Sharks roster, and deserved to go to the All-Star Game more than anyone (Brent Burns deserved to go, but not before Pavelski).

As far as Joel Ward is concerned, he played most of his time in Washington on the third line. He played in big moments with Ovechkin because they don't have a great pair for him. Joel Ward will see most of his time on the third line. If you think that he will play most of his time on the first line, you're crazy. The guy has never done that is his life. Can we stop all the hype on Joel Ward? He is a great depth signing. Do you really think he is going to stick with Joe and Joe? (Although it would be funny with Joe, Joe, and Joel). He's scored more than 40 points ONCE. He's scored more than 20 goals ONCE. We finally have the depth that we have always been lacking. Don't make this more than it is.

We are more likely to see him with Patty and Couture on the "second" line if anything. Couture plays real well with a powerforward on his line, and that is what Joel Ward is.

Couture is a great player on the top two lines. But, he is not that great at faceoffs, and he benefits from other creative players on the ice. In the long term, he is going to play wing for either Pavelski or Tierney, both of whom are better at faceoffs. Tierney is just so creative on the ice. He sees the ice. I hesitate to compare him to Thornton, but that's honestly what he looked like in juniors. I know we should expect a sophomore slump from him (see Tomas Hertl), but if he doesn't slump...

As face as Marleau playing the third center line, he has not looked the same in the defensive zone the last couple of years. I wouldn't say he is declining, but he has been getting beat in the d-zone. That being said, the third line is probably the most sheltered line in hockey. They play a decent amount of minutes, and contribute offensively, but they almost always start in the offensive zone. They play in the right situation, usually against the other team's fourth line. They don't play against lines like the Triplets in Tampa or Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim. Given the fact that Marleau was a serviceable center when he still played the position, it stands to argue that he could move back there. This move is predicated that Tierney makes the jump up to the top 6, but if he does do that, I think it's Hertl or Marleau that moves down. Given that the Sharks need to get Hertl back into Ninja Hertl form (see Martin Biron's retirement party), I think he stay up and Marleau moves down. He will still be on the first powerplay, and he will still score a lot.

Maybe something like

19-39-8

48-50-57

is more appropriate. Keep in mind that the "first line" will probably have three centers on it (someone added to Thornton and Pavelski), no matter how you slice it, so all of them will be playing wing at some point. 

Last, if you think the best thing to do for Goldobin is to stick him on the fourth line, and probably play the same kind of minutes that John Scott (I just saw him at the Michigan Technological University Alumni Game, cause I go there. Go Huskies!!) did last year, then you should probably join Todd in Edmonton. He needs playing time to develop. He is not going to get that playing almost strictly defense for six minutes a game on the fourth line. I don't expect him to beat out anyone for a third line role this year, so he should be back in juniors or the AHL (I don't know if he is eligible for the AHL) next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on more than one occasion during the season, but the right wing is kind of crowded.

I agree with your comment about Mueller. He needs work. A couple of months playing top pair for the Barracuda would serve him nicely.  But just as Mirco was rushed to the show, you are risking doing the same with Goaldobin! a year later. The signing of Ward means someone is not going to stick with the Sharks, but that isn't a bad thing. Developing Goldobin's game could be the best thing for the Sharks. 

We both know what kind of player Pavs is without Jumbo. We would have been close to dead last if Jumbo wasn't there to keep us afloat.

Joe Ward is never going to be a 50 point guy for this team but that is not what he will be brought in for. The best teams can spread their wealth throughout the lineup and Joel Ward's presence on the first line will help with that. He will essentially try to replace Burns (impossible) as the winger with his primary objective being a fetcher and establishing the cycle for the Joes. It is not about loading the top line, it is about preserving the bottom ones.

for example: after game 3 in the LA-SJS series, Sutter made line adjustments. His main one being moving Brown up to the first line and moving Williams down. Is Brown a first liner? Hell no. But he did his job well. What this did for LA is allow Williams to wreak havoc on a Sharks third line that moved Pavs up because Hertl wasn't scoring. Moving Pavelski up was one of TMacs many mistakes in that series and it continues to this day.

When has the Patty-Cooch line ever played with a power forward? Nieto is really the only guy that slotted (and worked) beside them. They are effective because they are all fast and defensively sound so they can generate chances off the rush. That line should bounceback next season with the improved defense but Marleau should still regress a bit sadly. that being said, he is still worthy of being on that second line. By taking him and Cooch out you have replaced them with Wingels-Tierney-Hertl. That is not a very good shutdown line against other teams and will be exposed against Malkin, Bergy, Carter, Statsny, Oshie, Mackinnon, McDavid, etc..

In order for Hertl to develop, he needs his own line. Playing with Jumbo doesn't really improve his game. If SJ gives him the third line this year, we will finally see what he will become in the NHL. When given the third line last year, Hertl played pretty good. If he returns to form, that third line will be dangerous no matter who is playing on his wing. Moving Patty down just messes up his chemistry and taking risks should only be out of necessity.This team has the depth, let it work itself out instead of juggling right away.

Did you not see? Goldobin is slotted in as the 14th forward for this team. That means he will start in the AHL like you want. My thoughts are that with all the depth that we finally have, injuries won't hurt as bad as they have in the past. With guys like Donskoii, Jevlapovs, Meier, Goldobin, and Chartier all potentially playing in the AHL this year, there will be no shortage of replacements for this roster. My goal for this team is to get all 4 lines running equally so that it helps with our old guys over the course of the season and allows our depth to run in full force. Even if Goldobin is on the 4th line, he won't get the usual 4th line minutes. That is the hope, but I don't think DeBoer sees the same as I do.

We both know what kind of player Pavs is without Jumbo. We would have been close to dead last if Jumbo wasn't there to keep us afloat.

Joe Ward is never going to be a 50 point guy for this team but that is not what he will be brought in for. The best teams can spread their wealth throughout the lineup and Joel Ward's presence on the first line will help with that. He will essentially try to replace Burns (impossible) as the winger with his primary objective being a fetcher and establishing the cycle for the Joes. It is not about loading the top line, it is about preserving the bottom ones.

for example: after game 3 in the LA-SJS series, Sutter made line adjustments. His main one being moving Brown up to the first line and moving Williams down. Is Brown a first liner? Hell no. But he did his job well. What this did for LA is allow Williams to wreak havoc on a Sharks third line that moved Pavs up because Hertl wasn't scoring. Moving Pavelski up was one of TMacs many mistakes in that series and it continues to this day.

When has the Patty-Cooch line ever played with a power forward? Nieto is really the only guy that slotted (and worked) beside them. They are effective because they are all fast and defensively sound so they can generate chances off the rush. That line should bounceback next season with the improved defense but Marleau should still regress a bit sadly. that being said, he is still worthy of being on that second line. By taking him and Cooch out you have replaced them with Wingels-Tierney-Hertl. That is not a very good shutdown line against other teams and will be exposed against Malkin, Bergy, Carter, Statsny, Oshie, Mackinnon, McDavid, etc..

In order for Hertl to develop, he needs his own line. Playing with Jumbo doesn't really improve his game. If SJ gives him the third line this year, we will finally see what he will become in the NHL. When given the third line last year, Hertl played pretty good. If he returns to form, that third line will be dangerous no matter who is playing on his wing. Moving Patty down just messes up his chemistry and taking risks should only be out of necessity.This team has the depth, let it work itself out instead of juggling right away.

Did you not see? Goldobin is slotted in as the 14th forward for this team. That means he will start in the AHL like you want. My thoughts are that with all the depth that we finally have, injuries won't hurt as bad as they have in the past. With guys like Donskoii, Jevlapovs, Meier, Goldobin, and Chartier all potentially playing in the AHL this year, there will be no shortage of replacements for this roster. My goal for this team is to get all 4 lines running equally so that it helps with our old guys over the course of the season and allows our depth to run in full force. Even if Goldobin is on the 4th line, he won't get the usual 4th line minutes. That is the hope, but I don't think DeBoer sees the same as I do.

Neither of them can play in the AHL until their respective teams are done for the year. Like Mueller last year, who could make the big team, or play for Everett, but not the AHL.

Guys who played in Canadian junior teams need to wait till they are 20 to play in the AHL as part of the bargain they have with those leagues.

Pavelski is a terrific player with or without Jumbo. In all forward positions.

Just so we're clear, we're talking about the regular season, not the playoffs here. Brown was moved up in LA during the playoffs. Ward was moved up in Washington in the playoffs. I'm not saying that Joel (it is Joel, by the way) Ward won't play with Thornton. I'm just saying that in the long run, he would not be effective with Thornton than he would be on the second or third line.

How has Joe Pavelski playing with Joe Thornton been a mistake? Yes, Pavelski is a better player for playing with Thornton, but who isn't? Jonathan Cheechoo led the league in goals one year while playing with Joe Thornton. Then he was traded to Ottawa and fell off the map. You mean to tell me that playing Pavelski on the third line with Raffi Torres and Matt Nieto is better than playing him on the a line with Thornton and anyone? You're nuts. This guy kills penalties, plays on the powerplay. He gets to the net. He attacks the puck. He wins faceoffs. Pavelski and Thornton are together because they are dynamic. Who benefit from playing with Thornton? 

Do you want to know why Pavelski didn't have great success playing on the third line? Because, like today, our third line is constantly changing and constantly has little talent. Would Pavelski have great numbers with Nieto and Ward this year? The answer is no. Would Tierney? No. Would Couture? No. Would Thornton? No. Why? Because Nieto and Ward are not the same caliber players are Thornton and Pavelski and Couture. When you play a good player with a great player, it turns the good player into a great player. When you play a bad player with a great player, it turns him in a better player. You mean to tell me that if Pavelski did not play with Thornton this year, that he would essentially be like Dany Heatley in Minnesota or Jonathan Cheechoo in Ottawa? I think you give an aging Thornton a little too much credit on this one. Take Pavelski away from Thornton and we'll see just who has the better year. My money is on Pavelski.

Okay, so you want to move Pavelski off the first line. Where does he go? You just said that you want Hertl to center the third line. There is no where else to play for Pavelski. He is going to play in the top six, and he has chemistry with Thornton. You, yourself said that we shouldn't ruin the chemistry.

When has Couture played with a powerforward? Remember, I said Couture enjoys a powerforward, not the combination of Couture and Marleau. Do you remember Ryane Clowe? Because Couture needs someone to go get the puck. The biggest issue I see in Couture's game is he has to go get the puck for Nieto or Marleau. Lines in the NHL work like this: someone goes and gets the puck. That player gets it to someone who can set up the goal scorer. It works really really well. Couture spends so much time getting the puck, and when he finally has possession, he has no where to go. If he had a Joel Ward of Tommy Wingels to go get the puck for him, he can focus on setting up Marleau for good shots and potentially goals. That is why Nieto is not the best fit on that line. Yes, there is a lot of speed, but Nieto doesn't go ground out the puk like Joel Ward does.

I agree with you that Hertl would be best served by centering a line, but center is the deepest position on the team. He would end up playing on the fourth line, and I doubt that is the best use for him. It's time for the Sharks to make a decision. Hertl is either going to be a center, or he is going to be a left wing. He will be damn good at either spot, but he needs to get a spot and work at it.

Who said Goldobin is the Sharks 14th forward? Where did you get your information? I would love to see that article or interview. If you are referring to the Sharks website, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to General Fanager, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to Bleacher Report, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to NHL.com, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to AHL.com, he is still in the AHL. AND, training camp has not started, so I don't think anyone has stated where exactly Goldobin is within the organization. That being said, he could be the 14th forward. In which case, it would be interesting to see who is 15 and how far behind they are. If the 15th forward is a healthy Raffi Torres (which is actually a possibility), why would you play Goldobin over Torres? You would play a 19 year old with barely a season of pro experience on the fourth line over a 33 year old who was born to play on the fourth line? It's going to be so easy to call guys up this year, so why not stick him in the AHL where he can play more than five minutes a game and see how he looks. Remember that the 14th forward will spend most nights in the press box. You really think it's better to have Goldobin in the press box instead of playing?

I'd also like to know when the last hockey game was that you personally saw that all four line were played equally. Because I can guarantee you that that does not happen very often. And it sure as heck does not happen at the pro level. I have seen thousands of hockey games in my life at every level. Every team has a first line that plays close to 30% of the game. Every team has a second line that plays close to 30% of the game. Every team has a third line that plays close to 18% of the game. And every team has a fourth line that plays close to 12% of the game. If you mean to tell me that you are going to give the same amount of playing time to Joe Thornton (in your words, the best player on the Sharks last year) and John Scott (who was outskated by 50 year old men last Friday), you are out of your mind.

Neither of them can play in the AHL until their respective teams are done for the year. Like Mueller last year, who could make the big team, or play for Everett, but not the AHL.

Guys who played in Canadian junior teams need to wait till they are 20 to play in the AHL as part of the bargain they have with those leagues.

Pavelski is a terrific player with or without Jumbo. In all forward positions.

Mueller could have played last year in Europe. Goldobin did that last year.

Goldobin is eligible to play in the AHL. I checked.

Mueller could have played last year in Europe. Goldobin did that last year.

Goldobin is eligible to play in the AHL. I checked.

I know he is NOW. I highlighted Meier and Chartier because they will not be until their teams are done, or next year

Just so we're clear, we're talking about the regular season, not the playoffs here. Brown was moved up in LA during the playoffs. Ward was moved up in Washington in the playoffs. I'm not saying that Joel (it is Joel, by the way) Ward won't play with Thornton. I'm just saying that in the long run, he would not be effective with Thornton than he would be on the second or third line.

How has Joe Pavelski playing with Joe Thornton been a mistake? Yes, Pavelski is a better player for playing with Thornton, but who isn't? Jonathan Cheechoo led the league in goals one year while playing with Joe Thornton. Then he was traded to Ottawa and fell off the map. You mean to tell me that playing Pavelski on the third line with Raffi Torres and Matt Nieto is better than playing him on the a line with Thornton and anyone? You're nuts. This guy kills penalties, plays on the powerplay. He gets to the net. He attacks the puck. He wins faceoffs. Pavelski and Thornton are together because they are dynamic. Who benefit from playing with Thornton? 

Do you want to know why Pavelski didn't have great success playing on the third line? Because, like today, our third line is constantly changing and constantly has little talent. Would Pavelski have great numbers with Nieto and Ward this year? The answer is no. Would Tierney? No. Would Couture? No. Would Thornton? No. Why? Because Nieto and Ward are not the same caliber players are Thornton and Pavelski and Couture. When you play a good player with a great player, it turns the good player into a great player. When you play a bad player with a great player, it turns him in a better player. You mean to tell me that if Pavelski did not play with Thornton this year, that he would essentially be like Dany Heatley in Minnesota or Jonathan Cheechoo in Ottawa? I think you give an aging Thornton a little too much credit on this one. Take Pavelski away from Thornton and we'll see just who has the better year. My money is on Pavelski.

Okay, so you want to move Pavelski off the first line. Where does he go? You just said that you want Hertl to center the third line. There is no where else to play for Pavelski. He is going to play in the top six, and he has chemistry with Thornton. You, yourself said that we shouldn't ruin the chemistry.

When has Couture played with a powerforward? Remember, I said Couture enjoys a powerforward, not the combination of Couture and Marleau. Do you remember Ryane Clowe? Because Couture needs someone to go get the puck. The biggest issue I see in Couture's game is he has to go get the puck for Nieto or Marleau. Lines in the NHL work like this: someone goes and gets the puck. That player gets it to someone who can set up the goal scorer. It works really really well. Couture spends so much time getting the puck, and when he finally has possession, he has no where to go. If he had a Joel Ward of Tommy Wingels to go get the puck for him, he can focus on setting up Marleau for good shots and potentially goals. That is why Nieto is not the best fit on that line. Yes, there is a lot of speed, but Nieto doesn't go ground out the puk like Joel Ward does.

I agree with you that Hertl would be best served by centering a line, but center is the deepest position on the team. He would end up playing on the fourth line, and I doubt that is the best use for him. It's time for the Sharks to make a decision. Hertl is either going to be a center, or he is going to be a left wing. He will be damn good at either spot, but he needs to get a spot and work at it.

Who said Goldobin is the Sharks 14th forward? Where did you get your information? I would love to see that article or interview. If you are referring to the Sharks website, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to General Fanager, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to Bleacher Report, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to NHL.com, he is still in the AHL. If you are referring to AHL.com, he is still in the AHL. AND, training camp has not started, so I don't think anyone has stated where exactly Goldobin is within the organization. That being said, he could be the 14th forward. In which case, it would be interesting to see who is 15 and how far behind they are. If the 15th forward is a healthy Raffi Torres (which is actually a possibility), why would you play Goldobin over Torres? You would play a 19 year old with barely a season of pro experience on the fourth line over a 33 year old who was born to play on the fourth line? It's going to be so easy to call guys up this year, so why not stick him in the AHL where he can play more than five minutes a game and see how he looks. Remember that the 14th forward will spend most nights in the press box. You really think it's better to have Goldobin in the press box instead of playing?

I'd also like to know when the last hockey game was that you personally saw that all four line were played equally. Because I can guarantee you that that does not happen very often. And it sure as heck does not happen at the pro level. I have seen thousands of hockey games in my life at every level. Every team has a first line that plays close to 30% of the game. Every team has a second line that plays close to 30% of the game. Every team has a third line that plays close to 18% of the game. And every team has a fourth line that plays close to 12% of the game. If you mean to tell me that you are going to give the same amount of playing time to Joe Thornton (in your words, the best player on the Sharks last year) and John Scott (who was outskated by 50 year old men last Friday), you are out of your mind.

See here is where I think you didn't grasp my point and that is partly my fault (I used my phone yesterday so I didn't really go over it). The best Sharks lineup I ever watched was the one that went up 3-0 to the Kings in that series and the reason for that was Burns. Because of Burns moving up we were able to allow Pavelski to center and dominate that third line while we allowed Hertl to set up on jumbo's wing. Now that it looks like Burns will never return to forward, we have no choice but to keep him there in order to allow the young guns to develop. That is the mistake. I never said that Pavs is the next Cheechoo, Heater, etc because he isn't. He has shown that he can control the game when he wants and he is a solid top-6 guy. But if the Sharks want to be the best, loading up the top will not win a cup. I completely disagree that he struggled on that third line because how did SJ do that season and what was the series like when he was 3C? The only reason he moved up was because TMac thought you need to score to be productive and Hertl wasn't scoring. When the Sharks iced, jumbo-Cooch-Pavs they were practically unstoppable and they showed it. You cannot deny that.

To my knowledge Ryane Clowe was not on SJ by the time Cooch and Patty were united (even if they did it was for a short time) so my point still stands that no power forward has played on that wing.

As for Hertl, I agree with you but if Pavs were to be moved down like I want, Hertl would most likely be on Jumbo's wing and so would Burns. That is not optimal for his development, but it makes the Sharks a lot better.

You need to read what I typed before calling me crazy. Those lineups are MY predictions, I slotted in Goldobin as the 14th guy, meaning he would be a call-up from the AHL where he will begin his season. I didn't get it from any source it is just what I thought he would be. No team dresses 14 forwards for a game and the reason as to why I have so many guys marked on that fourth line spot is because throughout the season that rotation is going to change and all of those listed are potential candidates to make the jump. What I want to see with Goldobin is leave him in the AHL until we think he is ready to jump. Give him the 10 game NHL treatment firs to see what we like with him, then send him back no matter what. Depending on how the season goes, he may get a call-up, he may not. We both are thinking the same thing, let him develop. Read my previous post, I even said: "he will start in the AHL like you want".

The last team to field a rotation that tried to make it as even as possible is the Boston Bruins and that team won the cup. It doesn't happen very often, but the Sharks have to be wary of the aging of Jumbo and Patty. If the Sharks can bring that 30% down to give them a bit of rest, I am all for it. With great two-guys like Cooch and Tierney, SJ can afford to let teams ice their top lines against our bottom. That is the beauty of depth. Boston was able to rotate between Krejci-Bergy-Seguin-Peverley against the Sedin's in the final and it worked. All lines were able to minimalize their damage because they were all capable of doing so. If SJ ices a Jumbo-Cooch-Hertl-Tierney center depth, they might be able to do the same. I am probably wearing the teal-tinted glasses right now but this team looks as good as any, even if it is not my dream lineup. A fourth line of Smith-Tierney-Torres/Goodrow would do a lot more damage than the one that was Scott-Smith-Brown, no?

See here is where I think you didn't grasp my point and that is partly my fault (I used my phone yesterday so I didn't really go over it). The best Sharks lineup I ever watched was the one that went up 3-0 to the Kings in that series and the reason for that was Burns. Because of Burns moving up we were able to allow Pavelski to center and dominate that third line while we allowed Hertl to set up on jumbo's wing. Now that it looks like Burns will never return to forward, we have no choice but to keep him there in order to allow the young guns to develop. That is the mistake. I never said that Pavs is the next Cheechoo, Heater, etc because he isn't. He has shown that he can control the game when he wants and he is a solid top-6 guy. But if the Sharks want to be the best, loading up the top will not win a cup. I completely disagree that he struggled on that third line because how did SJ do that season and what was the series like when he was 3C? The only reason he moved up was because TMac thought you need to score to be productive and Hertl wasn't scoring. When the Sharks iced, jumbo-Cooch-Pavs they were practically unstoppable and they showed it. You cannot deny that.

To my knowledge Ryane Clowe was not on SJ by the time Cooch and Patty were united (even if they did it was for a short time) so my point still stands that no power forward has played on that wing.

As for Hertl, I agree with you but if Pavs were to be moved down like I want, Hertl would most likely be on Jumbo's wing and so would Burns. That is not optimal for his development, but it makes the Sharks a lot better.

You need to read what I typed before calling me crazy. Those lineups are MY predictions, I slotted in Goldobin as the 14th guy, meaning he would be a call-up from the AHL where he will begin his season. I didn't get it from any source it is just what I thought he would be. No team dresses 14 forwards for a game and the reason as to why I have so many guys marked on that fourth line spot is because throughout the season that rotation is going to change and all of those listed are potential candidates to make the jump. What I want to see with Goldobin is leave him in the AHL until we think he is ready to jump. Give him the 10 game NHL treatment firs to see what we like with him, then send him back no matter what. Depending on how the season goes, he may get a call-up, he may not. We both are thinking the same thing, let him develop. Read my previous post, I even said: "he will start in the AHL like you want".

The last team to field a rotation that tried to make it as even as possible is the Boston Bruins and that team won the cup. It doesn't happen very often, but the Sharks have to be wary of the aging of Jumbo and Patty. If the Sharks can bring that 30% down to give them a bit of rest, I am all for it. With great two-guys like Cooch and Tierney, SJ can afford to let teams ice their top lines against our bottom. That is the beauty of depth. Boston was able to rotate between Krejci-Bergy-Seguin-Peverley against the Sedin's in the final and it worked. All lines were able to minimalize their damage because they were all capable of doing so. If SJ ices a Jumbo-Cooch-Hertl-Tierney center depth, they might be able to do the same. I am probably wearing the teal-tinted glasses right now but this team looks as good as any, even if it is not my dream lineup. A fourth line of Smith-Tierney-Torres/Goodrow would do a lot more damage than the one that was Scott-Smith-Brown, no?

if Cooch and Tierney improve on faceoffs this yes.

But Torres I feel is not likely and Goodrow is not an NHL player to me. I like Brocoli, but he flubs good chances a lot. Saw him play with Tierney for Woosta too and it was more of the same.

The problem I have with this lineup is it splits the Tierney/Hertl combo. Those two found some magic chemistry at the end of last year, even if it did not show up on the scoresheet for Hertl. Wingels and Nieto were rotating as their RW and it jut, well, WORKED. Tierney ended the year with 4 goals and 6 assists in the last 10 games and they just looked magical together. Tierney's vision is far better than I expected. Jammer, who posts her and watched London a lot, told me before the season that Tierney was better than his draft spot and better than his projected 3rd line center status and was going to force and will his way on to the lineup.

Damn jammer, you were right on.

I do agree Hertl looked more comfortable and better at his natural position of center though, although he got very few chances there. But Tierney looked "Meh" when on wing moreso than Hertl.

Its a conundrum. But a win win kinda conundrum for forward depth.

Ward is a great addition who can slot in anywhere. Literally. I hope Karlsson improves on his rookie year.

My only concern is icing one of Dillon/Mueller on their offhand side. Dillon looked putrid the few games they changed his side. Mueller is young enough that it might not affect him and he did switch sides in junior.

Obviously I am super high on Timo Meier. He is the real deal. Take it from a Halifax Mooseheads fan. he will work and work on things until he improves them dramatically. His skating was PUTRID in his rookie year. He worked his butt off and suddenly has above average skating the next year and explodes.

Literally every time someone would point out a flaw, he would work until that flaw was gone. Supreme work ethic and dedication.

if Cooch and Tierney improve on faceoffs this yes.

But Torres I feel is not likely and Goodrow is not an NHL player to me. I like Brocoli, but he flubs good chances a lot. Saw him play with Tierney for Woosta too and it was more of the same.

The problem I have with this lineup is it splits the Tierney/Hertl combo. Those two found some magic chemistry at the end of last year, even if it did not show up on the scoresheet for Hertl. Wingels and Nieto were rotating as their RW and it jut, well, WORKED. Tierney ended the year with 4 goals and 6 assists in the last 10 games and they just looked magical together. Tierney's vision is far better than I expected. Jammer, who posts her and watched London a lot, told me before the season that Tierney was better than his draft spot and better than his projected 3rd line center status and was going to force and will his way on to the lineup.

Damn jammer, you were right on.

I do agree Hertl looked more comfortable and better at his natural position of center though, although he got very few chances there. But Tierney looked "Meh" when on wing moreso than Hertl.

Its a conundrum. But a win win kinda conundrum for forward depth.

Ward is a great addition who can slot in anywhere. Literally. I hope Karlsson improves on his rookie year.

My only concern is icing one of Dillon/Mueller on their offhand side. Dillon looked putrid the few games they changed his side. Mueller is young enough that it might not affect him and he did switch sides in junior.

Obviously I am super high on Timo Meier. He is the real deal. Take it from a Halifax Mooseheads fan. he will work and work on things until he improves them dramatically. His skating was PUTRID in his rookie year. He worked his butt off and suddenly has above average skating the next year and explodes.

Literally every time someone would point out a flaw, he would work until that flaw was gone. Supreme work ethic and dedication.

Cooch is meh on faceoffs but Patty would take whatever was on his side so it balanced out a bit. This is just my opinion but faceoffs never really made or broke a player to me. Tierney has years to improve, even if he doesn't he will still be a hell of a center.

Goodrow should start in the AHL like Goldobin to develop a bit; but Goodrow, Tierney, and Goldobin all had great chemistry in training camp last year so assembling a fourth line out of those three at some point could bring results (who knows though).

The win-win is so true with this forward core. That being said, mixing up the chemistry like slotting two centers (Jumbo and Cooch) together on one line and moving up a potential sophomore slump guy in Tierney to the 2nd line along with demoting Marleau to the third without having played center for years seems to look like a recipe for disaster. We could try it and see how it goes, but I am not optimistic with those results.

I noticed that in Dillon too last year. The depth on D is concerning as the only other guy we got is Tennyson. Mueller is definitely not ready and we will have to hope Dillon can be just as good as he was last year to save that bottom pair.

As for Meier I admit I am not excited about the pick but in 5 years we will see what he becomes. It just looked to me that Ehlers was the guy that drove play and Meier was a product of it. We'll see.

Cooch is meh on faceoffs but Patty would take whatever was on his side so it balanced out a bit. This is just my opinion but faceoffs never really made or broke a player to me. Tierney has years to improve, even if he doesn't he will still be a hell of a center.

Goodrow should start in the AHL like Goldobin to develop a bit; but Goodrow, Tierney, and Goldobin all had great chemistry in training camp last year so assembling a fourth line out of those three at some point could bring results (who knows though).

The win-win is so true with this forward core. That being said, mixing up the chemistry like slotting two centers (Jumbo and Cooch) together on one line and moving up a potential sophomore slump guy in Tierney to the 2nd line along with demoting Marleau to the third without having played center for years seems to look like a recipe for disaster. We could try it and see how it goes, but I am not optimistic with those results.

I noticed that in Dillon too last year. The depth on D is concerning as the only other guy we got is Tennyson. Mueller is definitely not ready and we will have to hope Dillon can be just as good as he was last year to save that bottom pair.

As for Meier I admit I am not excited about the pick but in 5 years we will see what he becomes. It just looked to me that Ehlers was the guy that drove play and Meier was a product of it. We'll see.

I am hoping for more from Dillon this year to be honest. He played top pair in Dallas under Lindy Ruff and they made the playoffs. He had a hard time adapting to the Sharks.

Mueller looked like a confident man among boys at the prospect game and plays with more of a chip on his shoulder than I thought. I am happy with his development.

Depth on D does not concern me for the first time in a long time. Demelo is actually better than Tennyson to be honest. Neither will be better than a 6th Dman, but both are serviceable.

Be thankful the years of bottom pairs like Davison/Semenov , Huskins/Vandermeer/White, or last years AWFUL Hannan/Irwin are behind us. hell, be thankful the years of top pairings like Hannan/Preising/Hannan/Carle with mistake prone "Error" Ehrhoff before he was good was on the second pairing are behind us lol.

This looks like one of the best defense corps we have ever rocked. Martin was playing as a legitimate top pairing guy covering for Letang on the pens. Burns finally came around to form towards the end of the year and was MVP best Dman at the world cup. Vlasic is Vlasic the best Defensive puck moving Dman in the league, with Braun, who is Vlasic lite. Jesus, Dillon on the 3rd pairing sounds marvelous compared to years passed. Mueller was a rookie making rookie mistakes last year, yet he still looked light years better than old yeller Hannan and can't skate Irwin.

Jeremy Roy is the real deal too, although a few years away. His Hockey IQ is elite. If he can just fix his acceleration(And Sharks have a good record for fixing Skating) I see a top two way Dman in the making. Better prospect than Mueller. Still dumbstruck he did not go first round. Most scouts had him 15-25, but he had a few injuries and suspensions last season and it lowered his stock.

Be excited about Meier. He has Corey Perry+ potential. The Ehlers comment is off base. With Ehlers, Meier scored at a 1.49PPG pace. Without Ehlers, he scored at a 1.40. How many mooseheads games did you see? Yeah, typically Meier is not the puck carrier. That is not where his strength lies. He would drive into the zone forechecking like hell and barrel to the net and into scoring positions with abandon. He improved all the time in the last 2 years

I am hoping for more from Dillon this year to be honest. He played top pair in Dallas under Lindy Ruff and they made the playoffs. He had a hard time adapting to the Sharks.

Mueller looked like a confident man among boys at the prospect game and plays with more of a chip on his shoulder than I thought. I am happy with his development.

Depth on D does not concern me for the first time in a long time. Demelo is actually better than Tennyson to be honest. Neither will be better than a 6th Dman, but both are serviceable.

Be thankful the years of bottom pairs like Davison/Semenov , Huskins/Vandermeer/White, or last years AWFUL Hannan/Irwin are behind us. hell, be thankful the years of top pairings like Hannan/Preising/Hannan/Carle with mistake prone "Error" Ehrhoff before he was good was on the second pairing are behind us lol.

This looks like one of the best defense corps we have ever rocked. Martin was playing as a legitimate top pairing guy covering for Letang on the pens. Burns finally came around to form towards the end of the year and was MVP best Dman at the world cup. Vlasic is Vlasic the best Defensive puck moving Dman in the league, with Braun, who is Vlasic lite. Jesus, Dillon on the 3rd pairing sounds marvelous compared to years passed. Mueller was a rookie making rookie mistakes last year, yet he still looked light years better than old yeller Hannan and can't skate Irwin.

Jeremy Roy is the real deal too, although a few years away. His Hockey IQ is elite. If he can just fix his acceleration(And Sharks have a good record for fixing Skating) I see a top two way Dman in the making. Better prospect than Mueller. Still dumbstruck he did not go first round. Most scouts had him 15-25, but he had a few injuries and suspensions last season and it lowered his stock.

Be excited about Meier. He has Corey Perry+ potential. The Ehlers comment is off base. With Ehlers, Meier scored at a 1.49PPG pace. Without Ehlers, he scored at a 1.40. How many mooseheads games did you see? Yeah, typically Meier is not the puck carrier. That is not where his strength lies. He would drive into the zone forechecking like hell and barrel to the net and into scoring positions with abandon. He improved all the time in the last 2 years

I won't lie, this is one of the best d-cores we have ever fielded. Mueller, Tennyson, and Demelo will have to prove it this year if SJ wants solid depth at D.

Jeremy Roy was an awesome pick, if he can become Dan Boyle 2.0 that would be fantastic.

The Ehlers comment is definitely apart of the discussion. In 2013-14 Meier scored 34 points in 66 games then got shifted onto a line with one of the best prospects in hockey and his numbers skyrocketed.

Per FTF:

Ehlers assisted on 26 of Meier's 44 goals while Meier assisted on 14 of Ehlers' 37.  In his draft review he says this: "That suspicion is confirmed by watching Mooseheads games where Ehlers is constantly the primary puck-carrier and set-up man on that line although Meier does do a commendable job of driving the net and finding open areas of the ice"

Less than 60% of his points and less than 50% of his goals have come on even strength which suggests that he heavily relied on the PP to produce.

I watched enough Moosehead games (6) to know and understand what kind of player both Ehlers and Meier are and I hope Meier turns into the next Perry but there is a lot more evidence and precedence that he is likely to be a hardworking bottom-6 guy. There were better players on the board (Barzal, Connor, Konecny) and they took a big gamble. We needed a Thornton replacement with this pick, and it is hard to see that we got him. I hope I am wrong though.

I won't lie, this is one of the best d-cores we have ever fielded. Mueller, Tennyson, and Demelo will have to prove it this year if SJ wants solid depth at D.

Jeremy Roy was an awesome pick, if he can become Dan Boyle 2.0 that would be fantastic.

The Ehlers comment is definitely apart of the discussion. In 2013-14 Meier scored 34 points in 66 games then got shifted onto a line with one of the best prospects in hockey and his numbers skyrocketed.

Per FTF:

Ehlers assisted on 26 of Meier's 44 goals while Meier assisted on 14 of Ehlers' 37.  In his draft review he says this: "That suspicion is confirmed by watching Mooseheads games where Ehlers is constantly the primary puck-carrier and set-up man on that line although Meier does do a commendable job of driving the net and finding open areas of the ice"

Less than 60% of his points and less than 50% of his goals have come on even strength which suggests that he heavily relied on the PP to produce.

I watched enough Moosehead games (6) to know and understand what kind of player both Ehlers and Meier are and I hope Meier turns into the next Perry but there is a lot more evidence and precedence that he is likely to be a hardworking bottom-6 guy. There were better players on the board (Barzal, Connor, Konecny) and they took a big gamble. We needed a Thornton replacement with this pick, and it is hard to see that we got him. I hope I am wrong though.

Ftf went into it wanting to hate any pick DW made, and their stats are misleading.

I think you completely missed it, as they did. Meier did not suddenly start scoring because he was moved to ehlers line. He scored nearly the same clip without him.

His rookie year was low because, as I already pointed out, his skatingwas putrid and below average. He worked and worked and became above average

Archived