Couts extended

sekkes85

Gagner/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn

Umberger/Laughton/Read

VLC/White/Bellemare

Maybe this is what we will see?

All in all, this isn't a bad lineup at all. The real question revolves around the defense.

Striet/Medvedev

MacDonald/Schenn

MDZ/Gudas

Mason/Neuvirth

I may be missing something, but I do not get all the negativity. With the proper coaching, this isn't a bad looking line-up on paper. Maybe Gudas does not make the squad and a prospect does? Who knows?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the proper coaching, this isn't a bad looking line-up on paper.

Rather than "negative" I just look at it as a bunch of question marks.

Does Hakstol make the transition to NHL coach?

Is it a smooth one in his first year?

Is Gagner an effective first line LW?

Can Couturier be the second line center?

Will he be played there?

Will BSchenn continue to develop or plateau?

RJ Umburglar? No, seriously...

Is Laughton ready for the NHL?

Can he be a solid third line center?

Would Hakstol likewise rather have "experienced" Couturier playing a "defensive system" still in that role?

Where's Raffl?

Where's VandeVelde?

Does VLC fit here? There? Anywhere?

Will Medvedev make a smooth KHL to NHL transition?

Can MacDonald be a better player?

Where's Schultz?

We won't know answers to these "on the ice" for quite a while yet. And there are good reasons to believe that there are positive answers to all of these questions. But we're a long way from "potential" and while it's all well and good to slot in younger players, the Flyers currently have 13 forwards and 7 defensemen (plus Manning) under contract. In that scenario a Laughton/Gotstobehere/Provorov/etc. would really need to blow doors off to force their way onto the squad.

FWIW, I don't see Streit and Medvedev as a pair. A lot has to do with how Medvedev fits in and what he brings to the table. There could be three solid pairs of "stay at homes" and "offensive" guys - something more along the lines of:

Streit/Schenn

Medvedev/Gudas
MDZ/Schultz

I'm still not an AndyMac fan :hocky:

Rather than "negative" I just look at it as a bunch of question marks.

Does Hakstol make the transition to NHL coach?

Is it a smooth one in his first year?

Is Gagner an effective first line LW?

Can Couturier be the second line center?

Will he be played there?

Will BSchenn continue to develop or plateau?

RJ Umburglar? No, seriously...

Is Laughton ready for the NHL?

Can he be a solid third line center?

Would Hakstol likewise rather have "experienced" Couturier playing a "defensive system" still in that role?

Where's Raffl?

Where's VandeVelde?

Does VLC fit here? There? Anywhere?

Will Medvedev make a smooth KHL to NHL transition?

Can MacDonald be a better player?

Where's Schultz?

We won't know answers to these "on the ice" for quite a while yet. And there are good reasons to believe that there are positive answers to all of these questions. But we're a long way from "potential" and while it's all well and good to slot in younger players, the Flyers currently have 13 forwards and 7 defensemen (plus Manning) under contract. In that scenario a Laughton/Gotstobehere/Provorov/etc. would really need to blow doors off to force their way onto the squad.

FWIW, I don't see Streit and Medvedev as a pair. A lot has to do with how Medvedev fits in and what he brings to the table. There could be three solid pairs of "stay at homes" and "offensive" guys - something more along the lines of:

Streit/Schenn

Medvedev/Gudas

MDZ/Schultz

I'm still not an AndyMac fan :hocky:

I honestly see the reasoning with the questions. I guess in a perfect world, if it all pans out then the worry was for nothing, but yes there are a lot of questions surrounding this team. 

I left Raffl out I see, so that certainly does add a monkey wrench to my line-up. 

I just cannot wait till we have a better understanding of what this team is. I can say that I have never anticipated a season like this in the past. 

I honestly see the reasoning with the questions. I guess in a perfect world, if it all pans out then the worry was for nothing, but yes there are a lot of questions surrounding this team. 

I left Raffl out I see, so that certainly does add a monkey wrench to my line-up. 

I just cannot wait till we have a better understanding of what this team is. I can say that I have never anticipated a season like this in the past. 

agree Bert.... the most important thing here is that NOBODY knows what Hakstol is going to bring to this Team.  For all of us hating on Berube all I read is "with Hakstol in place this player will be better".... While this may be true it really is a wait and see.  I have full faith in Hak but there is a large "unknown" factor right now.   It is exciting for sure but time will tell here...

Archived