All time greatest Maple Leaf

yave1964

GREATEST MAPLE LEAF POST EXPANSION  

8 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS THE GREATEST POST ORIGINAL SIX MAPLE LEAF EVER?

• Darryl Sittler
    • Mats Sundin
    • Borje salming
    • Davey Keon
    • Felix Potvin

True. It's all hypothetical. But considering the era he played in (the dead puck era), to say that he would have amassed 1682 points isn't far off because his diminished performance with age is offset by the fact that he never got to enjoy any 80's or early 90's "easy pickin's" when it comes to collecting points. (Mats Sundin had his best season in 1992-93 when he collected 47 goals and 114 pts. He never came close to those numbers again, reflecting the decrease in scoring league-wide.) So because Forsberg never got to benefit from the high scoring era, I'm not going to punish him for reduced performance with advancing age. Therefore, his 1682 points are a realistic estimate of what a healthy Peter Forsberg could have done, adjusted to allow for some playing time in an era other than the dead puck era.  :)

Also, Sundin's best season came in his third year. Forsberg's first full year in the NHL was the year in which he got 116 points. If we give Forsberg his best year under 1992-93 league average scoring, how many points does 116 turn into? 130? 140? 150?

Again, your disregarding one crucial detail. His playing style is what shortened his career. If he kept playing the same style of hockey in todays league, he would probably play a slightly increased number of games due to the fact that this league is less phsyical then the era Forsberg played in, but he would still eventually falter.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post that....but believed you deserved the honor.

Someone needs to put Mats Sundin's head on the Stay-Puft marshmellow man and roll the video.  Just say'in..... I would probably wet myself laughing.  ;)

(I like Sundin, but that would still be hilarious.)

Again, your disregarding one crucial detail. His playing style is what shortened his career. If he kept playing the same style of hockey in todays league, he would probably play a slightly increased number of games due to the fact that this league is less phsyical then the era Forsberg played in, but he would still eventually falter.

His playing style and the fact that star players were slaughtered by goons during the dead puck era.  :(

That's why I say this is all hypothetical. *IF* he could have played the same number of games as Sundin, and *IF* he could have had some of his best years in the early 90's like Sundin did, then we'd be looking at Forsberg retiring up there with Sakic and Yzerman on the all-time points list. He was that good.  (At least in terms of playmaking.)   :)

Archived