Preseason Game 1

@J0e Th0rnton

It's always hard to tell at the prospect games how well they would do against older guys, but I was really excited for Donskoi. I think he makes the team. He looked good.

Deboer has been tight lipped about speaking praise to any players by name, but he broke that trend with Donskoi, saying he really caught their attention :)

Sharks coach Peter DeBoer has been careful not to mention many individual players by name in his public comments through the first three days of training camp. But there was one slight exception made for winger Joonas Donskoi on Sunday.

The Finnish-born Donskoi continued his strong month as he scored a goal around the net in the first of two 25-minute periods, then added another in a seven-minute, 3-on-3 overtime session as San Jose held an intrasquad scrimmage at Sharks Ice.

“He looked good today. He’s had a good start, and I think he’s caught our attention,” DeBoer said. “We have a long way to go before opening night … but he’s definitely grabbed our attention.”

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Oh TMNH, are you going to be up for watching the preseason game tonight?

I see it listed on Hockeystreams so ill likely be up and watching and in chat here if anyone else is around :)

Flyers are playing the Isles too, so a few people will probably be watching their teams.

NO. POS. PLAYER
12 LW Michael Raffl
15 D Michael Del Zotto
20 RW R.J. Umberger
22 D Luke Schenn
23 D Brandon Manning
25 C Ryan White
28 C Claude Giroux
40 C Vincent Lecavalier
41 LW Jay Rosehill
43 D Davis Drewiske
68 C Cole Bardreau
76 LW Chris VandeVelde
78 RW Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
79 D Ivan Provorov
80 RW Travis Konecny
82 D Evgeny Medvedev
89 LW Sam Gagner

93 RW Jakub Voracek

Goaltenders
30 G Michal Neuvirth
67 G Martin Ouellette

Those 4 will merit watching for the Flyers. Ill admit, I am not a flyers fan, but many of my friends on this site are, so i can give my opinions on players better if I watch em :)

No word yet on the Sharks lineup

@J0e Th0rnton

I am currently watch NHLN, with the Caps and 'Canes on. 

Eddie Lack and Braden Holtby look good, Lack especially! Kuznetsov looks like Nik Backstrom out there. Derek Roy looks terrible..

I will be watching the Sharks on NHLN after this game.

@J0e Th0rnton

I am currently watch NHLN, with the Caps and 'Canes on. 

Eddie Lack and Braden Holtby look good, Lack especially! Kuznetsov looks like Nik Backstrom out there. Derek Roy looks terrible..

I will be watching the Sharks on NHLN after this game.

I could not wake back up from my nap :(

5 years ago, no problem. But now I am 35 with twin daughters that tire me out completely lol.

So we lost 1-0 in the 3 on 3 period? 3rd string goalies vs Canucks second string goalie. Seems like we iced the all kid's defense. Our most experienced Dman was the 23 year old Dillon and a Mueller with half a season under his belt + Tennyson with 1/3rd a season under his belt. They had Edler, Tanev, Sbisa and Bartkowski and 2 kids.

At forward we had Hertl, Tierney and Wingels, along with Nieto and Smith/Brown. Then all kids.They had a similar lineup, albeit with a few more elders.

The score doesn't tell me how the game went. But it seems they iced more vets than we did and we managed to take it to 3 on 3?

How did the game look? I heard the word boring thrown around lol

I could not wake back up from my nap :(

5 years ago, no problem. But now I am 35 with twin daughters that tire me out completely lol.

So we lost 1-0 in the 3 on 3 period? 3rd string goalies vs Canucks second string goalie. Seems like we iced the all kid's defense. Our most experienced Dman was the 23 year old Dillon and a Mueller with half a season under his belt + Tennyson with 1/3rd a season under his belt. They had Edler, Tanev, Sbisa and Bartkowski and 2 kids.

At forward we had Hertl, Tierney and Wingels, along with Nieto and Smith/Brown. Then all kids.They had a similar lineup, albeit with a few more elders.

The score doesn't tell me how the game went. But it seems they iced more vets than we did and we managed to take it to 3 on 3?

How did the game look? I heard the word boring thrown around lol

Dillion is 24.

The Hertl-Tierney-Wingels line looked okay. Nieto looked quick. Goodrow looked out of place. Grosenick looked good in net, but he will still be in the AHL. Meier played extremely well in my opinion. He got a great chance in the first period, and he was strong on the forecheck. Roy needs a little bit more work. Mueller looks stronger on the puck.

Keep in mind this game was incredibly slopy, as all first preseason games are.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Game 2 was a nice one :)

Hertl centering Donskoi and Goldobin. Jones looking cool as a cucumber in net. Burns and Martin scoring :)

Mueller taking down Burrows was LOL.

Donskoi was terrific two way. Bunch of takeaways on the PK and always on the puck. If Brown or Goodrow make the team over him, ill chew rocks in anger.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Game 2 was a nice one :)

Hertl centering Donskoi and Goldobin. Jones looking cool as a cucumber in net. Burns and Martin scoring :)

Mueller taking down Burrows was LOL.

Donskoi was terrific two way. Bunch of takeaways on the PK and always on the puck. If Brown or Goodrow make the team over him, ill chew rocks in anger.

So if you had to guess now what would you say the starting lineup looks like. I'm a closet Sharks fan............so i guess now it's not so much in the closet now...

@OccamsRazor

I'm going to go a little out of the box for lines. 

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski

Marleau-Couture-Ward

Nieto-Tierney-Hertl

Donskoi-Smith-Torres

Extra: Karlsson, Brown

Vlasic-Braun

Martin-Burns

Dillion-Tennyson

Extra: Stollery

Jones

Stalock

This will give young guys like Meier, Goldobin, Roy, and Mueller playing time to develop in the CHL and AHL. I think Mueller was rushed to the NHL, and the others aren't quite there yet. I think Goldobin might see a callup at some point.

Player in the AHL who could see some time:

Forwards- Goodrow, Goldobin, McLaren

Defensemen- Mueller, DeMelo

Goalies- Grosenick

@OccamsRazor

Marleau-Couture-Ward

Nieto-Tierney-Hertl

Donskoi-Smith-Torres

Vlasic-Braun

Martin-Burns

Dillion-Tennyson

Jones

Stalock

This will give young guys like Meier, Goldobin, Roy, and Mueller playing time to develop in the CHL and AHL. I think Mueller was rushed to the NHL, and the others aren't quite there yet. I think Goldobin might see a callup at some point.

Goalies- Grosenick

That is a solid lineup. If Jones plays anywhere like I think he can that in itself will be a huge boost. I think he can add anywhere between 7-10 more wins from loss column this year.

I would insert Karlsson into the lineup instead of Torres though.

@OccamsRazor

Marleau-Couture-Ward

Nieto-Tierney-Hertl

Donskoi-Smith-Torres

Vlasic-Braun

Martin-Burns

Dillion-Tennyson

Jones

Stalock

Goalies- Grosenick

Well, Mueller's ELC is burning, but I do agree, A year as the top guy in the AHL will do him wonders instead of 6th Dman time on his off side.

Tennyson is on a one way contract, so he stays. Last chance to be a 6th Dman. Demelo is the guy the org is high on, yet has a two way contract. Pair Mueller and Demelo(Lefty and righty) as the Cuda's top pairing.

With the Cuda now in SJ, they don't even need to dress a 7th Dman. Quite frankly, Burns, Vlasic and Martin are minute munchers, and Braun can play 20 too. A 7th Dman rides the bench and does nothing. Unless Tennyson royally messes up ala Hannan/Irwin last year, he should suffice as 6th(He was better than them last year).

And Yeah, Torres is done. His skating was his strongest asset and by all accounts from those watching camp, he has lost his burst speed. Karlsson is the guy and I don't even want Brown as an extra

Well, Mueller's ELC is burning, but I do agree, A year as the top guy in the AHL will do him wonders instead of 6th Dman time on his off side.

Tennyson is on a one way contract, so he stays. Last chance to be a 6th Dman. Demelo is the guy the org is high on, yet has a two way contract. Pair Mueller and Demelo(Lefty and righty) as the Cuda's top pairing.

With the Cuda now in SJ, they don't even need to dress a 7th Dman. Quite frankly, Burns, Vlasic and Martin are minute munchers, and Braun can play 20 too. A 7th Dman rides the bench and does nothing. Unless Tennyson royally messes up ala Hannan/Irwin last year, he should suffice as 6th(He was better than them last year).

And Yeah, Torres is done. His skating was his strongest asset and by all accounts from those watching camp, he has lost his burst speed. Karlsson is the guy and I don't even want Brown as an extra

We the 7th defenseman doesn't dress. He is there in case of emergency. They are going to keep one on the roster, but I'm sure they might send him back and forth a lot to get some playing time.

I'd rather burn a year of Mueller's ELC if it means he will actually be a good player in the future. Lots of players spend a year in the AHL and improve a lot. He is not going to get a significant raise after the ELC anyways.

I think Torres could help the team, but I think this is his last season in the NHL. He will play 30-40 games this year at most.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Tonight's lines vs the Ducks

Patrick Marleau - Logan Couture - Joel Ward
Matt Nieto - Tomas Hertl - Joonas Donskoi
John McCarthy - Ben Smith - Barclay Goodrow
Frazer McLaren - Ryan Carpenter - Mike Brown

Paul Martin - Brent Burns
Karl Stollery - Dylan DeMelo
Gus Young - Matt Tennyson

Martin Jones

That 2nd line! Hertl getting long looks as a center for coaching staff and Donskoi getting another chance to shine.

Can't help but notice Demolo AND Tennyson both paired with tweeners. Probably to see what they can do under rough circumstances. Tonights game could make the decision between Tennyson/Demelo. Honestly thought Tennyson had it locked up, but Demelo is getting a longer look than I thought.

Ward getting a look alongside Marleau and Coots!

@J0e Th0rnton

Karl Stollery is 27. He's not quite a tweener.

Hertl and his line looked good last night!

I agree that last night was probably the game to decide between DeMelo and Tennyson. I think they both looked okay, but I think I would go with Tennyson.

I think Frazer made it real easy for the Sharks to waive him. 

@teenagemutantninjahertl
Goldobin - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Nieto - Hertl - Wingels
Torres - Tierney - Brown

Tonights lines via twitter

CQFQvsTUEAABi32.jpg

Who will be cut tonight?

And why is poor Tierney stuck with Torres/Brown?

Ward seems destined to be with Marleau/Couture. Hasn't left their sides

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Goldobin - Thornton - Pavelski

Marleau - Couture - Ward

Nieto - Hertl - Wingels

Torres - Tierney - Brown

Tonights lines via twitter

CQFQvsTUEAABi32.jpg

Who will be cut tonight?

And why is poor Tierney stuck with Torres/Brown?

Ward seems destined to be with Marleau/Couture. Hasn't left their sides

Tonight is the night that they decide on Goldobin.

Tierney is on the fourth line because Hertl has played so well as the third center. Really you could flip those two if you needed to. I think Torres is playing so they can gauge how well his knee is right now. Brown is auditioning for a fourth line spot, and he might get waived.

I agree about Ward on the second line. I think he works well with those two. I think the hard part will be finding someone for Thornton and Pavelski, and it might just be Goldobin.

I also think that time might be running out for Donskoi and Goodrow to make impressions. I like Donskoi, but Goodrow has not looked good in three games. I would not be surprised if he is sent down after tonight.

I also have not noticed Melker Karlsson at all.

Here's my final thought: the Sharks need to cut two forwards and one defenseman. I think Goodrow will get cut so that he can develop further. I think it is between Torres, Goldobin, and Brown for the last cut. If Goldobin can show that he can play in all three zones, I think he will stay. He also needs to play. There is no use in keeping a young guy in the press box. I'd rather have Torres on the roster over Brown IF he is healthy. As far as defenseman are concerned, I think Tennyson has earned a spot. I think he has looked good as #6 will Dillion. Then the question is do you send down Mueller or DeMelo? I would send down Mueller because he needs more development and playing time. DeMelo and Tennyson are both better, and they could rotate as the #6 because they are both right handed shots.

I think the lineup looks like this:

Donskoi-Thornton-Pavelski

Marleau-Couture-Ward

Wingels-Hertl-Goldobin

Torres-Tierney-Smith

Brown/Karlsson

Martin-Bruns

Vlasic-Braun

Dillion-Tennyson

DeMelo

Jones

Stalock

Tonight is the night that they decide on Goldobin.

Tierney is on the fourth line because Hertl has played so well as the third center. Really you could flip those two if you needed to. I think Torres is playing so they can gauge how well his knee is right now. Brown is auditioning for a fourth line spot, and he might get waived.

I agree about Ward on the second line. I think he works well with those two. I think the hard part will be finding someone for Thornton and Pavelski, and it might just be Goldobin.

I also think that time might be running out for Donskoi and Goodrow to make impressions. I like Donskoi, but Goodrow has not looked good in three games. I would not be surprised if he is sent down after tonight.

I also have not noticed Melker Karlsson at all.

Here's my final thought: the Sharks need to cut two forwards and one defenseman. I think Goodrow will get cut so that he can develop further. I think it is between Torres, Goldobin, and Brown for the last cut. If Goldobin can show that he can play in all three zones, I think he will stay. He also needs to play. There is no use in keeping a young guy in the press box. I'd rather have Torres on the roster over Brown IF he is healthy. As far as defenseman are concerned, I think Tennyson has earned a spot. I think he has looked good as #6 will Dillion. Then the question is do you send down Mueller or DeMelo? I would send down Mueller because he needs more development and playing time. DeMelo and Tennyson are both better, and they could rotate as the #6 because they are both right handed shots.

I think the lineup looks like this:

Donskoi-Thornton-Pavelski

Marleau-Couture-Ward

Wingels-Hertl-Goldobin

Torres-Tierney-Smith

Brown/Karlsson

Martin-Bruns

Vlasic-Braun

Dillion-Tennyson

DeMelo

Jones

Stalock

Donskoi so far has outplayed Goldobin. Not sure why Goldobin might get a top line spot.

But your lineup below is close to how I think it will pan out, except Torres. I feel The guy is done and it is a shame. Unless he was really holding back to see how his knee responds, he has looked slow and meh, and his speed was one of his only contributing attributes, along with his hits.

I'd rather waive Torres and Brown and keep Donskoi up. His PK work, active stick, speed and skating really impressed me.

Karlsson is injured, so that is why he is not around. But ideally, he would slot in with Tierney and Smith or go back to the top line with the Joe's since he fills a need(Forechecking winger who goes to the net), despite his lack of top 6 skill. Smith scored 15 goals on the 4th line in Chicago 2 years back playing RW. Yes he is good at faceoffs, but Center is not his comfort zone and it shows. If anything, have him in a situation like Pavelski is in. Take faceoffs then drift back to RW while Tierney centers during the play.

Tierney has great vision and playmaking. He really shined last year once he was away from the Goodrow's and John Scott's and was given linemates like Wingels, Nieto and Hertl. Karlsson might just fit well with him as he is a forecheck and go to the net kinda guy.

Quite frankly, this is Nieto's year to put it together or get traded. We have such forward depth in our farm that he needs to knock it out of the park to stick around and make a prospect expendable.

If anything, I am excited at all the possible line combos and our improved Defense.

• 1 month later...

Donskoi so far has outplayed Goldobin. Not sure why Goldobin might get a top line spot.

But your lineup below is close to how I think it will pan out, except Torres. I feel The guy is done and it is a shame. Unless he was really holding back to see how his knee responds, he has looked slow and meh, and his speed was one of his only contributing attributes, along with his hits.

I'd rather waive Torres and Brown and keep Donskoi up. His PK work, active stick, speed and skating really impressed me.

Karlsson is injured, so that is why he is not around. But ideally, he would slot in with Tierney and Smith or go back to the top line with the Joe's since he fills a need(Forechecking winger who goes to the net), despite his lack of top 6 skill. Smith scored 15 goals on the 4th line in Chicago 2 years back playing RW. Yes he is good at faceoffs, but Center is not his comfort zone and it shows. If anything, have him in a situation like Pavelski is in. Take faceoffs then drift back to RW while Tierney centers during the play.

Tierney has great vision and playmaking. He really shined last year once he was away from the Goodrow's and John Scott's and was given linemates like Wingels, Nieto and Hertl. Karlsson might just fit well with him as he is a forecheck and go to the net kinda guy.

Quite frankly, this is Nieto's year to put it together or get traded. We have such forward depth in our farm that he needs to knock it out of the park to stick around and make a prospect expendable.

If anything, I am excited at all the possible line combos and our improved Defense.

It has been 4 games since Karlsson came back. They started him on the 4th line and lost to the Isles.

The next 3 games he goes back to where he had the most impact. With the Joe's. He is not at their skill level, but he fills a crucial need on that line. People argue with me that we should pick up a top winger to go with them, but i always argue back that Karlsson just fits on that line the way Burns did. Not as good as Burns, but did the things the Joe's need their wingers to do.

In the 3 games since he has been back, he has 2 goals and an Assist. Pavelski has 2 goals and 3 assists, and Thornton has a goal and 3 assists.

Not Coincidence!

Archived