Larkin makes the lineup, so does Cleary

SpikeDDS

Blashill announced yesterday that Dylan Larkin has made the opening day roster. I am slightly surprised, but I'm actually more surprised that Cleary also made it. Certainly, our IR list has a lot to do with it.

First, Larkin. I am very glad to see that Larkin has been given the nod. It would have been safer to put him in GR, but there isn't much not to like about this kid. When you make the kind of impression on veteran players as he has, you belong in the NHL. I am glad to see the Red Wings do this. This is Blashill's sounding call that he is in charge. I'm not sure if Babs would have done this. Maybe. I think Blash was more likely to do it, and I think it is a healthy thing for our franchise to give young talent more opportunity based upon their ability, and not so much about their waivers status. Gotta be smart, but I think we have been playing a little too safe in the past.

Having Larkin makes the statement that its going to be different this year for the Red Wings, and different is likely to be good. Early playoffs exits have become the norm, and change is definitely needed. Here is our first step. I think it changes the players' mindsets, and that is also good. They feel like this is a new chance, not the same chance over again.

Now to Cleary. Why? Why not give another young player an opportunity--even if for a short basis--to reward a player like AA or Mantha for their camp performance? Or, if you are going to argue that they want a player who plays more of a role like Cleary's, why not Bertuzzi? Was Cleary's performance really as good as, say, AA's?

I'm not saying that Cleary has no value as a player, but I think at this point his BEST role is to be the veteran than helps the kids along down in GR. I would have liked to see another young kid play a few games as a reward for their great play in the preseason AND to see what happens when they are given an opportunity. A missed opportunity IMHO. If you are going for the "fresh start," then do it. Was Cleary's name even on a scoresheet?

No need to go overboard on the "fresh start" meme, but I think it would have been fine to give another young player a chance, even if it is only until Helm comes back, or Pav, or whoever that will require them to be sent back down simply due to numbers/waivers.

Larkin making the team, anyone who watched the preseason saw a kid with an absolute ton of confidence and skill. I love that Blash has put his signature upon the team in this way.

As for Cleary, well he is a 13th forward who will play sparingly and knows his role, he gets in when someone is hurt and gonna miss one game, nothing more. Frankly I would rather he sit in the press box than one of the kids. If an injury or a regular spot in the lineup opens rest assured Cleary will not be the one to fill the void, he is there to give a tired vet a day off occasionally or fill in for an emergency, nothing more.

As for Cleary, well he is a 13th forward who will play sparingly and knows his role, he gets in when someone is hurt and gonna miss one game, nothing more. Frankly I would rather he sit in the press box than one of the kids. If an injury or a regular spot in the lineup opens rest assured Cleary will not be the one to fill the void, he is there to give a tired vet a day off occasionally or fill in for an emergency, nothing more.

I get that, but I still think his best role would be to help the kids along in GR. I WILL grant you your point that I'd rather the kids play in GR than sit in the press box in Detroit. So if the choice was to have either Dan Cleary sit in there or a kid, I agree for Cleary to sit. I want the kids to continue to play and develop their game, whether it is in GR or Detroit. Doesn't make sense to have them sit.

Having said that, if there is a roster player who isn't pulling his weight, I'd call up a kid before subbing in Cleary for him. If he needs a rest, OK. But if a player is hurting the team? Bring someone up who will help the team. Cleary just becomes a body at that point.

The whole Babber leaving and Blas coming is a big plus for the youngsters. Blashill knows that he is coaching for a finicky fan base, one spoiled with 20+ consecutive years in the playoffs.....and Mr. Illitch, who is also used to seeing the Wings win. Getting off to a slow start is not an option....thus the roster will be constructed with the players who can turn games into points in the standings. Babber was established, and could afford the luxury of rewarding the vets....Blas is not even in the same neighborhood.

Edit, not saying Blas is not a good head coach, he just has a slimmer margin for error.

I love that Larkin is on the team. I thought he looked out of place last year when the University of Michigan came up to Houghton to play my Huskies, but after he played a few more games in Maze and Blue, he dominated. He easily could have won the Hobey Baker this year if he stayed in college. He looked great in the preseason as well. I'm excited for him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was at the top of the second tier of rookies this year (the best rookies not named McDavid or Eichel).

I think a big reason Larkin made this team (besides the obvious offensive talent) is how hard nosed this kid is and thus, very strong on the puck. If this part of his game did not come to the forefront in TC, he would be on GR right now.

Archived