Tomas Plekanec signs 2-year Ex

Zz_

And why not?

The offense starved Habs need every bit of scoring they can get....and this season, it looks like they are getting it from all the right players, not the least of whom, is this very Thomas Plekanec.

$6M per seems a tad high to me for a player who figures to be a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point guy, but then again, the term is quite short, the guy is still just 32, and he IS producing at a good pace this year, picking up where he left off last season (which happened to be one of his best in quite a while).

@TropicalFruitGirl26   I think overall, it's a pretty fair deal for both sides. I did not realize that Plek was that old, thought he was a few years younger. The salary is fair when you consider it's only a 2 year deal. If he starts to slip due to age, they are not on the hook for a long term deal. The Habs get flexibility of knowing they can deal him if a decent trade comes across their table. The Habs kinda screwed up their salary structure when they gave Petry, a 3rd pair d-man 5.5 mill until 2021. With Plek you also have to factor in that he is an excellent 2 way center, he plays a very nice up tempo defensive game.

@jammer2

Good point about his 'intangibles'.

I wasn't trying to imply that it should be all about the numbers.

If he can bring stability to other areas of the ice besides offense, I can see that part of his game factoring into what the team decided to give him.

But at 2 yrs, with a player like him LIKELY to continue to do well, one can't really call this a 'bad deal' no matter how you slice it.

Only way this can go sideways is if Plekanec has some sort of chronic injury that will cause him to miss significant time or not play at the level he is capable of.

I think this is the last contract he gets in Montreal. He is a very effective player, but he is getting up there in age, and I bet he starts slowing down in his contract year. $6.0mil for this guy is not bad at all.

Tomas Plekanec after he is done with this contract will be 34 years old. He is a good player an although I don't think he will get another contract after this one over 1 year he still maybe a good player by 34. We have Jaromir Jagr at 43 years old and he is still pretty good.

Tomas Plekanec after he is done with this contract will be 34 years old. He is a good player an although I don't think he will get another contract after this one over 1 year he still maybe a good player by 34. We have Jaromir Jagr at 43 years old and he is still pretty good.

True, but I think you will see a Canadiens team with too much young talent for him to come back and I think he will ask for way too much money. If he fits in their plans, he will definitely be back.

Archived