Concussions and CTE

Podein25

Perhaps this can be merged with another thread or them with this one for all concussion-related discussions.

This story is on the front of Canada's national newspaper the Globe today re Todd Ewen, who I always liked as a player: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/was-todd-ewens-death-caused-by-his-nhlcareer/article26987457/

Todd Ewen

Yeah i mentioned him in the other thread. Did they ever do a study on his brain? I was just wondering because i know he shot himself in the head. Not sure if they can do a study in that case. That is why Junior Seau shot himself in the chest because he wanted them to study his brain.

It's a sad epidemic.

Concussions is what cost my cousin a promising career as a linebacker he was highly recruited but had a few concussion playing in high school and before he was done with his senior season he was having bad headaches and was seeing a doctor for his depression.

He eventually graduated and never sign a scholarship offer. He was being recruited by the Tarheels Clemson and another school i can't remember who it was. Anyways he told me a couple christmas it was the best decision he ever made yet he still has issues with depression. He said he will not let either one of his sons play football. They both play baseball and basketball.

The NFL has a huge issue with this on their hands. Basically all collision sports have this issue.

Did they ever do a study on his brain? I was just wondering because i know he shot himself in the head. Not sure if they can do a study in that case.

I had the same question. The article says they did or will be looking at his brain, but yeah not sure of how that will work as he reportedly shot himself in the head. 

I had the same question. The article says they did or will be looking at his brain, but yeah not sure of how that will work as he reportedly shot himself in the head. 

From Bill M.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/was-todd-ewens-death-caused-by-his-nhlcareer/article26987457/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

Enjoy....

Edit: I just realized it was the same thing you posted so ignore............or reread if you like......ooooops! :blink[1]:

Something else that is troubling' you don't even need to take a serious knock to the head to have a very bad concussion. If you aren't checked out on a regular basis, some concussions will be missed. It's like rolling your ankle, it doesn't take much more movement to actually break a bone in the ankle. I say donate organs to people who need them and donate your brain so more information about CTE can be learned even faster. Let the young men and high flying vetrens alike make an informed decision. Although.... it would be wickedly hard to turn down a promising career in the sport that you love.... but it is to save your brain, your life and the agony inflicted on your family and friends.

I was never good enough to make it to the CFL or NFL but if I was... even I would have the hardest time trying to decide what to do here.

Archived