Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2016-17

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

A very nice Christmas gift from the Leafs. Winning both ends of a back-to-back and looking good doing it. :DancingGrape:

As a Flyer fan it's been way too long since I've hated the Leafs. Heres hoping to the rebuild continuing on an upward swing so we can get back to despising each other.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:52 AM, flyercanuck said:

As a Flyer fan it's been way too long since I've hated the Leafs. Heres hoping to the rebuild continuing on an upward swing so we can get back to despising each other.

Yeah, there was a brief rivalry there back in the early 2000's with the teams crossing paths in the playoffs a few times, and both teams being very competitive. 

The Leafs and Flyers both have a die-hard fanbase, so they remember things from game to game and the little stuff doesn't slip by unnoticed, which makes things great. I still remember the Tie Domi water bottle incident with the Philly fan in the penalty box. Those moments were good times. :)

16 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Matthews is an absolute beast. :firstplace:

I haven't seen him score any "spectacular" goals since his debut game, but he's quietly effective. He positions himself well to collect rebounds and he makes accurate passes. He might be the next Mats Sundin for the Leafs. :)

Jan. 1: TOR vs DET

1. Matthews, Andersen
  2. C. Carrick, Marner
  3. Van Riemsdyk
  4. Hyman, Brown

Final score: 5-4(OT) TOR.

Wow. What a finish! Almost looked like it was going to slip away again at the end, but another nice win to keep the streak alive. :)

1: Bit of an "excuse me" shot block attempt by Matthews here, and I thought Andersen should have had this one.

2: Carrick is too loose with his coverage here, not really defending anyone. Marner doesn't pick up his guy in time.

3: Giveaway by JVR.

4: Hyman can't get the puck out, turns it over, and Brown doesn't pick up his guy in front of the net.

I can't wait until this team reaches the stage where the game ends at 4 - 1, like this one should have. The heart attack kids strike again. :VeryCool:

p.s. Does Matthews' goal in OT count in his stats?

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I can't wait until this team reaches the stage where the game ends at 4 - 1, like this one should have. The heart attack kids strike again. :VeryCool:

p.s. Does Matthews' goal in OT count in his stats?

There was a brief period of time there in the 3rd period when the Leafs were up 4-1 that I thought: "wow, they've finally turned the corner" but then they followed it up by allowing three quick goals and next thing you know the game is in OT.  So they defeat Detroit, but they only gained a point on them, not the two points like it should have been. Things like that help to keep Detroit hanging around in the standings so that when they go on a 10 game win streak and finish 8th again, it won't be difficult to leapfrog all the teams in front of them.  :bonkingheadonwall:

What do you mean does Matthews goal in OT count?  :thinking:

Well, Babs was pretty unhappy after that one - as he should be. But I think he was more pissed that he was going to be questioned, again about the team losing leads late in games. He keeps trying to convince everyone that there is no such problem. Give it up Babs.

I sure hope he is doing something about it. :readytofight:

On 1/4/2017 at 7:17 AM, BluPuk said:

Well, Babs was pretty unhappy after that one - as he should be. But I think he was more pissed that he was going to be questioned, again about the team losing leads late in games. He keeps trying to convince everyone that there is no such problem. Give it up Babs.

I sure hope he is doing something about it. :readytofight:

My highlight of the game was the pass by Matthews, one of the finest I've seen in a long time.  

Matthews @2:30

Jan. 6: TOR vs NJD

1. Polak
  2. Andersen

Final score: 4-2 TOR.

1: Penalty.

2: Andersen caught out of position. 

Leafs were lucky to win this game. They got a few gifts in this one to prevent PA Parenteau's "touching moment" from being the story tonight. :)

Jan. 7: TOR vs MTL

1. Kadri, Zaitsev
  2. Gardiner
  3. Gardiner, Rielly
  4. Marner, Polak
  5. Andersen

Final score: 5-3 MTL.

1: Poor coverage.

2: Bad pinch.

3: Penalty + poor coverage.

4: Penalty + poor coverage.

5: Soft goal.

The Habs continue to own the Leafs. Some sloppy defensive play in this one. Nice to see some hitting and some fights. It was an entertaining game for sure. :)

Actually, I thought both teams sucked. Playing Andersen two nights in a row did not work. Marner and Matthews and few others were good, but overall we were not very good at all. Against the Habs? These young guys gotta learn when to get up for a game. :mad:

JK

7 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Actually, I thought both teams sucked. Playing Andersen two nights in a row did not work. Marner and Matthews and few others were good, but overall we were not very good at all. Against the Habs? These young guys gotta learn when to get up for a game. :mad:

JK

A slow start, a couple of bad penalties, poor defence, and Andersen having an off-night are what really burned the Leafs.

The Habs are just a better team, and they played like it.  :cry:

Archived