Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2016-17

WordsOfWisdom

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Talent isn't enough. They also have to work hard every game...... 

I was almost expecting to hear someone say they lost because Marner was missing... :bonkingheadonwall:

They had an opportunity to make up serious ground on the teams in front of them and they squandered a 6-game in hand advantage. 

Kadri took a lazy holding penalty that cost the team. There was also a 5-on-3 but fortunately Ottawa didn't score on that one or this could have been an 8-3 game. On the third goal, three Leafs skate to the same Senators player and leave the rest of the area wide open for Mr. Laser beam shot to bury it. 

One thing about the Leafs that is killing them defensively is that the entire team collapses down low in the zone. All FIVE Leafs players will be within 20 feet of Andersen during 5-on-5 play, leaving two or even sometimes three opposing players wide open at the points with all day long to set up a shot and work towards a screen or tip. That's ridiculous. Take away that option by covering the d@mn points!

:(

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Unless I'm mistaken, he had a goal and two assists. :)

You weren't mistaken, I simply didn't realize that Gardiner was playing that well.

Feb. 21: TOR vs WPG

1. Kadri, Komarov, Zaitsev
  2. Kadri, Zaitsev
  3. Nylander, Zaitsev
  4. Zaitsev, Martin, Leivo

Final score: 5-4(OT) TOR.

Big win for the Leafs!

History in the making as well! Zaitsev becomes the first player to record 4 errors in a single game! Owch! :)

49 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Feb. 21: TOR vs WPG

1. Kadri, Komarov, Zaitsev
  2. Kadri, Zaitsev
  3. Nylander, Zaitsev
  4. Zaitsev, Martin, Leivo

Final score: 5-4(OT) TOR.

Big win for the Leafs!

History in the making as well! Zaitsev becomes the first player to record 4 errors in a single game! Owch! :)

I saw the first goal different, I think it was the 1st goal, Rielly didn't close in on Schieffle so he had loads of time and space to get the puck to Laine. This is a recurring problem I see with Rielly, his IQ. In a lot of ways Rielly reminds me of Drake Berehowsky, all the tools but IQ missing.

30 minutes ago, hobie said:

I saw the first goal different, I think it was the 1st goal, Rielly didn't close in on Schieffle so he had loads of time and space to get the puck to Laine. This is a recurring problem I see with Rielly, his IQ. In a lot of ways Rielly reminds me of Drake Berehowsky, all the tools but IQ missing.

Yeah, on the first one I dinged Kadri and Komarov because they both went to the same guy, came up empty in retrieving the puck, and were both caught flat footed as the play moved along. That sort of forced Rielly to back off because he had two forwards coming at him, at least for a moment. Zaitsev got dinged because he didn't manage the gap properly between himself and the shooter and was just acting as a screen for his goalie. He needs to either prevent the shot by covering the shooter, or go down to block that shot so it doesn't get there. He's kind of in no-man's-land on that one. Tough break but oh well. :(

I agree that Rielly doesn't seem to have the hockey IQ though. He is consistently (year over year) one of the worst defenders on the Leafs in his own zone.  

Updated DE Totals

2016-17-de-totals.png

Notables:

• Leivo makes an impact! +7 TPM in 9 games played
  • "Steady as she goes" Roman Polak is still Toronto's quiet shutdown defenceman, but Hunwick is keeping it close.
  • Komarov is the best shutdown forward.
  • Kadri leads the team with 25 errors. Thank goodness he can score.
  • Rielly still not figuring things out. Unimpressive offensive numbers with lackluster defence.
  • Gardiner takes over as the Leafs #1 overall defenceman.
  • Matthews is the Leafs best forward, and the kids continue to carry the load. 

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Typical end to a shoot-out for us I'm afraid.

They allowed 38 shots on goal and that will not get it done. They were lucky to get a point IMHO. These guys can (and should) be much better. :Isaidnow:

The shootout is supposed to keep inferior teams like Toronto in the mix with its "coin toss" nature but somehow the Leafs manage to lose almost every shootout too. :(

Feb. 25: TOR vs MTL

1. Soshnikov, Hyman
  2. Kadri, Rielly
  3. Andersen, Hyman

Final score: 3-2(OT) MTL.

1: Penalty by Sosh. Turnover by Hyman.

2: Lost coverage by Kadri, Rielly far out of position here.

3: Terrible gamble by Andersen here, and lost coverage by Hyman.

Leafs have squandered at least 15 points in overtime and shootout games this season. It's going to be the reason they miss the playoffs this year. Count on it. :(

On 2/25/2017 at 7:20 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Feb. 25: TOR vs MTL

1. Soshnikov, Hyman
  2. Kadri, Rielly
  3. Andersen, Hyman

Final score: 3-2(OT) MTL.

1: Penalty by Sosh. Turnover by Hyman.

2: Lost coverage by Kadri, Rielly far out of position here.

3: Terrible gamble by Andersen here, and lost coverage by Hyman.

Leafs have squandered at least 15 points in overtime and shootout games this season. It's going to be the reason they miss the playoffs this year. Count on it. :(

I think the word squandered is a bit harsh considering TO has fielded 6 to 8 rookies most nights, that TO got to OT in most of those games was an accomplishment and maybe some summertime tweaking might enable TO to win in regulation.

Are all the goals scored against TO the result of someone failing rather than superior effort from the opponent?

4 hours ago, hobie said:

I think the word squandered is a bit harsh considering TO has fielded 6 to 8 rookies most nights, that TO got to OT in most of those games was an accomplishment and maybe some summertime tweaking might enable TO to win in regulation.

Yeah, it's just a case of missed opportunity. The shootout is a coin toss, but the Leafs have only won one shootout. I think of all the games were they had the lead and either lost in regulation (losing out on 2 points) or lost in OT (failing to secure the 2 points and settling for less). All of those missed chances will come back to bite them shortly. 

There was an opportunity (no matter how brief) to secure a top 3 spot in the division. That opportunity is now gone. (Montreal and Boston's coaching changes have ensured that. Both teams are revitalized and rolling.) The Islanders are coming on strong. The Panthers are hanging around. The Flyers are one key trade away from being in the mix. 

I guess it's just disappointing that a playoff spot was there for the taking and the Leafs went ice cold right at that moment. Sort of a "we don't belong here" moment. Now they're kind of limping along playing .500 hockey (sort of) and they're going to get run over by the teams coming up behind them. Like a car puttering along on the freeway going 50km/h and a big rig bearing down on them at 120km/h in the rear view mirror. It's going to be messy.   :(

4 hours ago, hobie said:

Are all the goals scored against TO the result of someone failing rather than superior effort from the opponent?

Good question. It's simply the "player(s) most responsible for the goal being allowed". 

Think of it this way: When a player scores a goal, was it because of their great effort or because the goalie completely blew it? Not all goals are a result of great effort. A defensive error can be a horrendous mistake or a player simply being beat by a superior player. If you're a defenceman, and I just deke you out completely, go around you, and score, it's still a defensive error. Doesn't matter if it's Gretzky or if it's Martin. :)

Feb. 28: TOR vs SJS

1. Rielly, Komarov, Andersen
  2. Gardiner, Marner
  3. (Empty net.)

Final score: 3-1 SJS.

Leafs were outplayed. Good game by Andersen (overall). Leafs needed to lose this game in overtime. Another opportunity for a point goes away. It's a shame. :(

7 hours ago, hobie said:

TO is being outplayed by better teams, I thought the Bozak line was brutal tonite, really bad.

I'd like to see them in the draft lottery again. They're not a playoff team this year and even if they slip into 8th and face the Capitals, it's going to be a monumental waste of time. That has 4-0 sweep written all over it. Given the amount of work still to be done, this team doesn't need to be finishing in the middle of the pack again. Rebuilding teams plateau early when they start finishing 9th in their conference. We need those draft picks. 

I think TO can make the playoffs if Babs can find a way to shake up Bozak and JVR. Their good players up to Feb. every year then they disappear like last night, Marner can't do it himself just like Kessel couldn't, Babs has to motivate them to go beyond their traditional level of compete/productivity we see yearly at this time of year.

TO isn't going to defend it's way to success, it's going to need to outscore it's problems.  

20 hours ago, hobie said:

I think TO can make the playoffs if Babs can find a way to shake up Bozak and JVR. Their good players up to Feb. every year then they disappear like last night, Marner can't do it himself just like Kessel couldn't, Babs has to motivate them to go beyond their traditional level of compete/productivity we see yearly at this time of year.

TO isn't going to defend it's way to success, it's going to need to outscore it's problems.  

Agreed.  

The way things are shaping up, the Leafs are zeroing in on 8th or 9th. I think it's a coin toss. If they get in, they run into the best team in the NHL. I imagine the Caps would have little difficulty shutting the Leafs down and making it 4-0 or 4-1 before moving on. If the Leafs miss, they'll be in a crappy draft lottery position. 

I'm curious what they will do in the off-season to improve this team. :)

I'm expecting TO to finish 11th in the East and 19th overall which would give them the 11th pick.

Lou has said they're going to be evaluating the players to go forward with and I expect JVR and Bozak won't pass.

Neither JVR or Bozak are worth a top 2 d-man so I'm expecting TO to change the d, whether or not the changes will result in a better d will be interesting. 

Mar. 2: TOR vs LAK

1. Marner, Boyle, Zaitsev
  2. Kadri, Rielly
  3. (Shootout.)

Final score: 3-2(SO) LAK.

Another day, another shootout loss for the Leafs. 

1: Penalty by Marner. Not sure what Boyle is doing here but he looks lost. Tough break for Zaitsev as the puck caroms in off him.

2: Bad pass by Kadri and/or bad pass reception by Rielly results in a turnover.

Archived