Thoughts on Morgan Rielly?

WordsOfWisdom

He has 1 goal in 23 games, 12 points, and he's a -6 (the official +/-). 

I've been analyzing Rielly's performance defensively with the rest of the Leafs and the numbers don't lie. Last season he committed 28 errors. This season he already has 12 (one third of the way in). They play this guy 23 minutes a night and give him free reign to shoot the puck yet he can't put the puck in the net. 

Teams are usually willing to sacrifice defence to have an offensive defenceman. That being said, Rielly isn't providing any of the defence that the Leafs require and he's not doing enough offensively (other than collecting a few assists) to offset it.  

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

He has 1 goal in 23 games, 12 points, and he's a -6 (the official +/-). 

I've been analyzing Rielly's performance defensively with the rest of the Leafs and the numbers don't lie. Last season he committed 28 errors. This season he already has 12 (one third of the way in). They play this guy 23 minutes a night and give him free reign to shoot the puck yet he can't put the puck in the net. 

Teams are usually willing to sacrifice defence to have an offensive defenceman. That being said, Rielly isn't providing any of the defence that the Leafs require and he's not doing enough offensively (other than collecting a few assists) to offset it.  

Good analysis WOW, I had hoped Reilly was going to increase his late season pace of last year as I drafted him late in all of my fhl teams.  He just isn't there.  I'm assuming he is focusing more on his defensive play but he really needs to get some more shots on net to spark his offensve game.

I'm not surprised to see his +/- go up given the 'new' makeup of this year's team. More rookies = more mistakes, and as you have pointed out, Reilly is out there for more time than any other defenceman on the team.

Keep in mind he is still very young. Could he use some better help? Sure he could, who couldn't? Do I think he is struggling under his new load? Yes, but I'm not concerned. He has the talent and the drive to use it. Let's see where we're at at the next quarter pole.

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

Good analysis WOW, I had hoped Reilly was going to increase his late season pace of last year as I drafted him late in all of my fhl teams.  He just isn't there.  I'm assuming he is focusing more on his defensive play but he really needs to get some more shots on net to spark his offensve game.

Me too. I keep looking for this upward trajectory to see him blossom into a top offensive defenceman.

Here are the current NHL points leaders among defencemen. Rielly is ranked 29th currently. Points wise he's still basically in the mix, but goal wise he doesn't measure up to Burns, Weber, Fowler, Shattenkirk, etc.  

Personally, I think Gardiner should be getting that extra ice time. He plays about 3-4 minutes less per game and he's better than Rielly at everything. 

pts.png

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

I'm not surprised to see his +/- go up given the 'new' makeup of this year's team.

His +/- is the second worst on the team. Only Zaitsev was worse I think. 

Using my figures, Rielly has a defensive % of .977, which ranks him 6th out of 8 D-men. His TPM is 0 (even), which ranks him tied for 4th with Polak. 

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Keep in mind he is still very young. Could he use some better help? Sure he could, who couldn't? Do I think he is struggling under his new load? Yes, but I'm not concerned. He has the talent and the drive to use it. Let's see where we're at at the next quarter pole.

Hopefully he can still turn it up another notch. :)

FYI: The rule of thumb is that if you don't have a high TPM (True +/-) score, then you should have a high defensive % to compensate for that. A "stay-at-home" defenceman type doesn't accumulate many points, so they struggle to get a high TPM score and can't be compared to other players using that stat. They should however, have a high Def% because they shouldn't be getting caught out of position, losing coverage, and giving up goals. 

In Rielly's case, we could excuse the low Def% if he had a higher TPM. He should be the #1 defenceman on the Leafs in TPM given his style of play and the opportunity for eye popping offensive numbers.

More food for thought:

At his current pace, Rielly would have to finish the season with at least 43 points just to out-score his mistakes. That is to say: to break even. Yikes! :blink[1]:

Archived