The Dying Breed of the Power Forward

NRH

I dunno. I'm not thrilled with the author's definition that Simmonds is a power forward because he is a "Pest".  When did the term power forward get transposed to a "4th line player" term?

A power forward is generally a player who is big and strong scoring goals in front of the net.  I think every GM still desires to have that type of player especially on the #1 power play. 

Younger players generally aren't termed "Power forwards" right away when the make it into the NHL as it takes a number of years to build up that kind of body strength.  

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I dunno. I'm not thrilled with the author's definition that Simmonds is a power forward because he is a "Pest".  When did the term power forward get transposed to a "4th line player" term?

A power forward is generally a player who is big and strong scoring goals in front of the net.  I think every GM still desires to have that type of player especially on the #1 power play. 

Younger players generally aren't termed "Power forwards" right away when the make it into the NHL as it takes a number of years to build up that kind of body strength.  

Agreed with every bit of that.

Shanny to me was the best power forward that I ever saw, granted a certain Red Winged bias, lol but he was a warrior in front of the net, he would drop the gloves, he would fearlessly go into the hard places and come out with the puck, I cannot tell you how many times I would see interviews with him where he had cuts and bruises and scrapes all over his face from simply playing the game. And you oughta see the other guy.

I remember a meaningless game against the Blues, the last game before the all star break we were down by a couple with a minute to go and Osgood pulled, a Blues player stole the puck and fired it towards an empty net and Shanny dove and blocked it with his face. His face. He ended up with a dozen or so stitches across the bridge of his nose but after the break, looking uglier than ever he was back out there in the corners, in front of the net, scoring, scratching and fighting and after witnessing that I doubt that a teammate would have dared to take a shift off and float.

That is what a veteran power forward brings to the table.

I would label Simmonds as a power forward because of his fighting and dirty battles he wins and his power play ability. Others whom I consider power forwards today would include Backes in Boston, Lucic, Palmieri in New Jersey doesn't fight much but is always either getting knocked down or knocking someone else down in front of the net, that number eight fella in Washington comes to mind.

But for my money Shanahan is unparalleled with the caveat again that I might be just a wee bit biased.

Archived