Brendan Smith traded to the Rangers

yave1964

The rebuild continues.......

Potential UFA defender Brendan th?id=OIP.M79797efd15ee3a38d76344b317f34Smith has been dealt to Broadway and the Rangers for a second and third round pick in this years draft.

I watch my fair share of big ten Hockey and after the Wings drafted him I watched him grow slowly at Wisconsin, then of course my well known love for the AHL made him a favorite of mine in Grand Rapids in spite of his glacial pace of developing. I had him pegged as a solid rugged defender who could play in all situations.

He took forever at the NHL level, Kyle Quincey carried him for a couple of years covering up for mistakes, I thought he must have mental issues because he not only made the same mistakes over and over he actually perfected them and got better at them as time went by. His most famous moment in a Wings uniform was challenging Chara to a fight in a playoff game and Chara literally laughing at him.

He is a decent player now, nothing special, a bit of grit, very little offense, responsible enough in his own zone unless you pressure him too much in which case his mind blows and he either gives up the puck or does something stupid but honestly his game will probably translate well with the Rangers who have a few offensive pieces in place on the back end and need someone to allow a McDonough or Skjei to roam.

A second and a third seems like a bit of overpay from the Rags but they just lost out on Shattenkirk yesterday and they needed to do something. Good on Ken Holland, so far for Jurco and Smith he has netted a second and two thirds in this years draft and still has multiple pieces to deal.

I don't think it is an over payment from the Rangers, seems like pretty good value. I think Smith is a decent 2nd pairing/ good 3rd pairing defenseman, and talk from Rangers fans indicates that he should be an upgrade on a couple of their guys. Draft picks are far from a guarantee, so at least for them they get what they know is an NHL d-man.

But I'm definitely happy with the trade myself. A couple more kicks at the can always helps, and now we are up to 3 3rd round picks this year. Too bad we wasted our own last year on Sadowy, or we'd have 4. I'm hoping that Holland will be able to get a couple more picks for Vanek and Sheahan.

In his announcement, Ken Holland discussed the trade with an eye to potentially bringing Smith back this summer.  However, Brendan Smith's own announcement via Twitter seemed to suggest that his plane ticket was one-way.

"It was a pleasure to be a part of an outstanding organization like the Detroit Red Wings -- thank you for everything!"

"Looking forward to being a part of the another original six team with the New York Rangers!!

1 hour ago, Haliax said:

I don't think it is an over payment from the Rangers, seems like pretty good value. I think Smith is a decent 2nd pairing/ good 3rd pairing defenseman, and talk from Rangers fans indicates that he should be an upgrade on a couple of their guys. Draft picks are far from a guarantee, so at least for them they get what they know is an NHL d-man.

But I'm definitely happy with the trade myself. A couple more kicks at the can always helps, and now we are up to 3 3rd round picks this year. Too bad we wasted our own last year on Sadowy, or we'd have 4. I'm hoping that Holland will be able to get a couple more picks for Vanek and Sheahan.

I am not ready to say that we wasted ours on Sadowy, I think he is a project but I am not ready to write him off yet. He has looked lost quite often in this his first year as a pro but that happens to pretty much all but the elite level talent at the AHL but has been looking better of late. Remember Mantha was a wreck in GR coming back from injuries of course, Not saying Sadowy is another Mantha but I still think he might have a career.

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am not ready to say that we wasted ours on Sadowy, I think he is a project but I am not ready to write him off yet. He has looked lost quite often in this his first year as a pro but that happens to pretty much all but the elite level talent at the AHL but has been looking better of late. Remember Mantha was a wreck in GR coming back from injuries of course, Not saying Sadowy is another Mantha but I still think he might have a career.

I'll be honest in that I've not really seen much of Sadowy and I'm just judging based on stats. We'll see how it turns out.

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Kyle Quincey carried him for a couple of years covering up for mistakes, I thought he must have mental issues because he not only made the same mistakes over and over he actually perfected them and got better at them as time went by. His most famous moment in a Wings uniform was challenging Chara to a fight in a playoff game and Chara literally laughing at him.

I had actually forgotten about that incident with Chara.

What I remember, instead, was Smith reaching over the wall and playing a puck that was in play while sitting on the bench toward the end of a really close, hard-fought game against the Habs toward the end of the season a couple years ago. It was 0-0 at that point, and he was penalized and the resulting PP for the Habs gave them the GW goal, 1-0. Babs was furious and scratched him for the remainder of the season or close to it.

Just the kind of stupid mental errors that he likes to make. We will let him make  them somewhere else. 

Archived