Greatest Hockey Books Written by Former NHL Players

Kings Redeem LA

I'm curious to know who's read what books by former NHL greats. 

Which ones would you recommend and why? What ones might you 

steer people away from and why? 

I got thinking about this tonight after checking some YouTube hockey videos, 

including fanboying it up from a distance while Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux 

shared a table and took questions*. :lovethis:

:thankyou1: for your feedback! :plus1:

* In the video they were asked if the greatest hockey player ever was sitting 

at the table and Bobby immediately answered "No" in the loudest voice by far 

that he used throughout the Q-and-A. He was noticeably soft-spoken otherwise. 

He's a Gordie How guy. :firstplace: :hocky: :firstplace:

@thenewestlights

This is right up my alley.

THE GAME Kenny Dryden is one Hell of a book. a lot of folk in here dont care for it but I enjoy it tremendously.

THE CODE Not necessarily a bio but lots of interviews as fighters and tough guys explain the code of honor/fighting that is unwritten in the game.

JOURNEYMAN Sean Pronger, Chris's brother played for 16 teams in the minors and the NHL and he tells what it is like being afraid every time a coach taps your shoulder or a GM is watching you practice. Very well written.

KING OF RUSSIA Dave King, former NHL and team Canada coach went to Russia as the first NA to coach a team in the KHL he does a magnificent job of describing the difference between the game here versus there and the insanity that is living in 'modern' Russia. A favorite.

CROSSING THE LINE Derek Sanderson a bit self serving but paints a great picture of the seventies and the WHA.

AFTER THE APPLAUSE Bittersweet short bio of half a dozen retired NHLers who find life completely different and difficult once the game has moved on and forgotten them.

BETWEEN THE LINES Ray Scampinello who was an NHL linesman forever tells about the job. A revered on ice official gives his side.

BOY ON ICE Derek Boogard not a bio, he was dead already by the time the book was even conceived but it is the story of his life and death.

PLAYING WITH FIRE Theo Fleury. I am not usually a fan of these type of books but Fleury does a great job of making one squirm as he tells of his life and the millions that he blew on drugs and other insanity before getting his life sort of together.

That is my list. Current players as a rule write (or have ghostwritten) very vanilla books as they do not want to offend. It is usually the guys who have called it quits who give a better glimpse of the game.

OH and ANYTHING written by Brian Mcfarland. The best hockey writer of all time counting anyone.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@thenewestlights

This is right up my alley.

THE GAME Kenny Dryden is one Hell of a book. a lot of folk in here dont care for it but I enjoy it tremendously.

THE CODE Not necessarily a bio but lots of interviews as fighters and tough guys explain the code of honor/fighting that is unwritten in the game.

JOURNEYMAN Sean Pronger, Chris's brother played for 16 teams in the minors and the NHL and he tells what it is like being afraid every time a coach taps your shoulder or a GM is watching you practice. Very well written.

KING OF RUSSIA Dave King, former NHL and team Canada coach went to Russia as the first NA to coach a team in the KHL he does a magnificent job of describing the difference between the game here versus there and the insanity that is living in 'modern' Russia. A favorite.

CROSSING THE LINE Derek Sanderson a bit self serving but paints a great picture of the seventies and the WHA.

AFTER THE APPLAUSE Bittersweet short bio of half a dozen retired NHLers who find life completely different and difficult once the game has moved on and forgotten them.

BETWEEN THE LINES Ray Scampinello who was an NHL linesman forever tells about the job. A revered on ice official gives his side.

BOY ON ICE Derek Boogard not a bio, he was dead already by the time the book was even conceived but it is the story of his life and death.

PLAYING WITH FIRE Theo Fleury. I am not usually a fan of these type of books but Fleury does a great job of making one squirm as he tells of his life and the millions that he blew on drugs and other insanity before getting his life sort of together.

That is my list. Current players as a rule write (or have ghostwritten) very vanilla books as they do not want to offend. It is usually the guys who have called it quits who give a better glimpse of the game.

OH and ANYTHING written by Brian Mcfarland. The best hockey writer of all time counting anyone.

Cool...! :goodjob: :horn::toast:

And why not a little Zorro for good measure: 

:zorro:

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@yave1964 

Hello...! Finished The Game just now. 

Generally I really enjoyed it. Drew me in intensely at places. 

Liked what Ken said about athletes getting artificially inflated 

in public perspective, how he spent so much time detailing 

his teammates. 

My main complaint with the book would actually be a cosmetic one: 

it needs--at least the version in my possession needs--a good proofread. 

Some vocabulary problems. And way too many proofing errors. Especially 

early on. 

But all in all a good read! Dryden seems a wise observer of hockey from 

any era he's studied or played in. 

In addition to other books from your recommendation list, I'm looking forward 

to reading 99: Stories of the Game from Wayne Gretzky. A local library has 

ordered it and will put in on hold for me when it's in. The thing's got a 

good average review on Amazon.com. Have you read it? I happened to 

run across it right about when this books thread kicked off. 

:toast:

@thenewestlights

No, that is one that I havent gotten to yet but a good read froma different angle is Walter Gretzky, on family, Hockey and healing. The first father of Hockey, (Wayne's Dad) is insightful and writes a beautiful book about being the father of a legend and dealing with a crippling disease, Parkinson disease. A wonderful read.

Archived