Pens Acquire Reaves From Blues

B21

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12435747-74/penguins-trade-1st-round-pick-for-tough-winger-ryan-reaves

I like the move. He adds some much need muscle to the line-up. Little steep on the price but I can live with it. However, the trade makes me wonder...Sundqvist was in line to compete for the 3C spot. Is the plan now to bring Bonino back? If so, I'd be thrilled. They can certainly afford him. I can see Rowney slotted in as the 4C - not 3C.

1 minute ago, B21 said:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12435747-74/penguins-trade-1st-round-pick-for-tough-winger-ryan-reaves

I like the move. He adds some much need muscle to the line-up. Little steep on the price but I can live with it. However, the trade makes me wonder...Sundqvist was in line to compete for the 3C spot. Is the plan now to bring Bonino back? If so, I'd be thrilled. They can certainly afford him. I can see Rowney slotted in as the 4C - not 3C.

I agree that the price is a little steep for the return! Maybe he is here to be on Malkin wing? I'm guessing wildly on that! I am not to crazy about trading draft choices!  Supposedly it's going to be a good draft years in 2018.

Well put me in the "do not like" column of this trade. Can't see paying that price for someone who's going to average about 8:00 of ice time.  I really liked Sundqvist, with is big frame could have turned into a force at center, and liked to use his body on the forecheck.   With a year or two more of conditioning, he could have been a bigger version of Hornqvist out there, and a physical player capable of playing solidly on the 3rd line if not the 2nd.   

If Rutherford wanted protection, physicality and limited minutes, just resign and bring up Sestito and don't burn a prospect while moving down in the draft. Oh, and he's only signed through next year also.

”While the league looks to reduce the slashing throughout the league via rule changes, Rutherford does exactly what he said he didn't want to do.

“I hear year after year how the league and everyone loves how the Penguins play,” said Penguins GM Jim Rutherford. “ ‘They play pure hockey and they skate.’ Well, now it’s going to have to change and I feel bad about it, but it’s the only way we can do it. We’re going to have to get one or two guys…and some of these games that should be just good hockey games will turn into a sh—show. We’ll go right back to where we were in the ’70s and it’s really a shame.”

58 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well put me in the "do not like" column of this trade. Can't see paying that price for someone who's going to average about 8:00 of ice time.  I really liked Sundqvist, with is big frame could have turned into a force at center, and liked to use his body on the forecheck.   With a year or two more of conditioning, he could have been a bigger version of Hornqvist out there, and a physical player capable of playing solidly on the 3rd line if not the 2nd.   

If Rutherford wanted protection, physicality and limited minutes, just resign and bring up Sestito and don't burn a prospect while moving down in the draft. Oh, and he's only signed through next year also.

Yeah - but a lot of "ifs" there on Sundqvist. Sesito is a goon.  This guy is a big hitter and can actually play a little. If it means Bonino is coming back (meaning no real role for Sundqvist anyway) I can live with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 10:26 AM, B21 said:

Yeah - but a lot of "ifs" there on Sundqvist. Sesito is a goon.  This guy is a big hitter and can actually play a little. If it means Bonino is coming back (meaning no real role for Sundqvist anyway) I can live with it.

Sesito is back too.    Adding more enforcers...   :thumbsd:

57 minutes ago, nossagog said:

With Reeves on the team, I don't think Sestito will see a game in the NHL.

Deterrent Vengeance depth. Good move. :DancingGrape:

Archived