Sergei Gonchar

Gonch has been with the organization for a couple years now working with the defense. He could not do full time coaching because of his children(still in Dallas, attached article above).  With the style of play that the Penguins use on the defensive side, Gonchar is a natural fit with the organization.  I think he's the reason the defense has been able to move pretty easily through the injuries the past two years.    If you're a young defenseman, whom better to learn your trade.

!!! Stupid Pittsburgh Sports Media Notice !!!

As we were mentioning Rossi the other day, I had to laugh at part of a Rob Rossi article today when I read his article about Sergei Gonchar. He's always blowing things out of proportion.    He's calling the move of Gonchar to a full time coaching position a "considerable coup" for Mike Sullivan. A "considerable coup"? HUH?  Does he realize that the only reason that he wasn't already a full time coach was that his wife and children are still in Dallas?   Does he realize that Gonchar really likes it here, and really wanted to be coaching here?   This is no "coup", the only thing that has changed is that his children are older now .  This is just a natural progression by someone who already loved what he was doing and where he was doing it.   If there is something that makes it a "coup", its certainly not explained. 

A "considerable coup" would have been if he was doing it for another contender and they signed him on anyway.   Rob old boy, you should not just toss out phrases just because they sound good, it just makes you sound very "Rossi"-like. 

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

!!! Stupid Pittsburgh Sports Media Notice !!!

As we were mentioning Rossi the other day, I had to laugh at part of a Rob Rossi article today when I read his article about Sergei Gonchar. He's always blowing things out of proportion.    He's calling the move of Gonchar to a full time coaching position a "considerable coup" for Mike Sullivan. A "considerable coup"? HUH?  Does he realize that the only reason that he wasn't already a full time coach was that his wife and children are still in Dallas?   Does he realize that Gonchar really likes it here, and really wanted to be coaching here?   This is no "coup", the only thing that has changed is that his children are older now .  This is just a natural progression by someone who already loved what he was doing and where he was doing it.   If there is something that makes it a "coup", its certainly not explained. 

A "considerable coup" would have been if he was doing it for another contender and they signed him on anyway.   Rob old boy, you should not just toss out phrases just because they sound good, it just makes you sound very "Rossi"-like. 

He really wrote that?  I'll admit I was surpirsed when Gonchar went full time as I swear I saw an article a few weeks ago about how he was staying part time for the sake of his family. Either way, I'm not sure what Rossi is getting at with this one.

22 minutes ago, B21 said:

He really wrote that?  I'll admit I was surpirsed when Gonchar went full time as I swear I saw an article a few weeks ago about how he was staying part time for the sake of his family. Either way, I'm not sure what Rossi is getting at with this one.

I'm not sure he knows! :hehe:

28 minutes ago, B21 said:

Direct quote:

The addition of Gonchar is a considerable coup for Sullivan, who had parted with two holdovers from former coach Mike Johnston's staff. But the departures of former top assistant Rick Tocchet and previous goalie coach Mike Bales likely will be offset by bringing Gonchar into the full-time fold.

His comment about Bales is equally confussing as he was a hold over just for Fleury, and with Fleury gone Bales was let go. I guess he doesn't understand the difference between departing and fired either. 

Archived