Flyers offseason review

yave1964

3 hours ago, vis said:

At the very least, I hope to see more consistent play from the team in general.

Yeah I think that's a fair ask. But is it too much to also ask that they also play less goddamn boring? I assume more youth = less boring, but there's no guarantees. 

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I think that's a fair ask. But is it too much to also ask that they also play less goddamn boring? I assume more youth = less boring, but there's no guarantees. 

This goes back to the Defense problem IMHO.  They didn't start last year boring.  They were kinda crazy fun as I recall.  They were just losing a lot.

They got boring when Hakstol realized his defense was so terrible he basically had to skate all three forwards like defensemen too.  

Ruined all the fun and killed virtually everyone's season at even strength.  

The PP wasn't boring (or at last the first unit).  This team has skill.  This team is not untalented.  Their defense was just so horrible last year that they basically had a choice of being exciting but terrible or boring and incredibly mediocre.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

They didn't start last year boring.  They were kinda crazy fun as I recall.  They were just losing a lot.

They got boring when Hakstol realized his defense was so terrible he basically had to skate all three forwards like defensemen too.  

Yes, this sounds familiar. I hold out hope that there is some happy medium possible where playing exciting hockey doesn't guarantee losing. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yes, this sounds familiar. I hold out hope that there is some happy medium possible where playing exciting hockey doesn't guarantee losing. 

Me too.  I put my hope this year in Morin and Hagg and Sanheim shoring up the back.  One of them is almost assured a spot on the team at this point (My money is on Morin).  But if Hagg and Sanheim can make their case over Mac and Manning, they could carry 8 D men on the roster and have the latter two in the press box until injuries require them.  Failing that, Mac Could always go back to the AHL because he'll always clear waivers and if he doesn't.. YIPEE!

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Me too.  I put my hope this year in Morin and Hagg and Sanheim shoring up the back.  One of them is almost assured a spot on the team at this point (My money is on Morin).  But if Hagg and Sanheim can make their case over Mac and Manning, they could carry 8 D men on the roster and have the latter two in the press box until injuries require them.  Failing that, Mac Could always go back to the AHL because he'll always clear waivers and if he doesn't.. YIPEE!

My money is on Hagg, with call ups for Morin and Sanheim. I don't see Manning losing his job just yet. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

My money is on Hagg, with call ups for Morin and Sanheim. I don't see Manning losing his job just yet. 

Provo Mac

Gudas Ghost

Hagg Manning?  

If they decide to keep Manning, I think Sanheim makes the team.   Skill Set wise it's more balanced.  

But if they were to ignore that, I'm sure it would be on the side of caution and boring (aka Hagg and Manning together).

Archived