Does Nash have a future as a Ranger?

Algdun

9 hours ago, Algdun said:

Will the Rangers extend Rick Nash?  Or is he a goner after this season?

I'd say no.  He will be 34 next June.  I think the tide has changed on upping up on older players, especially ones that appear to be past their prime.

With 4 forwards next year becoming UFAs the Rangers have a chance to revamp with talented youth.

Right off the top, I would say "No, he doesn't".

Obviously, Rick Nash is no longer the type of player a team expends a $7.5M cap hit for, BUT, under the right circumstances, and for the right amount, he could still be a contributing scorer for a team that needs a bit of offense (but will NOT be relying heavily on) from the wing..... 2nd line at best, but probably 3rd line winger.

That means taking a massive drop in pay (perhaps in the $2M-$3M range)...something I don't think he or his agent will likely take.

If he WERE to agree to take such an amount (and probably no more than two years max), then maybe, just maybe, he can stay with the Rangers.

Otherwise, he will need to seek a contract elsewhere, because, as has already been mentioned, the Rangers do have some contracts of young players coming due they need to focus and make decisions on.

Best case scenario for both team and Nash would be that Nash heats up a bit right around trade deadline time (or even before then), and if the Rangers can admit to themselves that the playoffs are a long shot, or even if they get in, a run is highly unlikely, they can trade Nash (with HIS consent of course, seeing as how he has a modded NTC) and get some useful assets or picks for him.

This way, the Rangers are done with his contract, and the player himself gets to seek a playoff run with someone else with the incentives for him being, a championship, and a good contract based on his performance chasing that championship.

I suppose he can always try to negotiate a new deal as a UFA back with NY, but again, that isn't likely due to the Rangers' many other issues and concerns they need to address.

Archived