Kyle Quincey Placed on Waivers, Zach Parise Skates for First Time After Back Surgery

wild.source

The Minnesota Wild placed defenseman Kyle Quincey on waivers Wednesday (11-29-17). Kyle Quincey has tallied only 3 assists in the NHL this season with the Wild. This means that defenseman Jared Spurgeon (groin) could play in tonight's game (11-30-17) against the Vegas Golden Knights, giving young defenseman Gustav Olofsson and Mike Reilly the chance. 

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/29/wild-place-struggling-defenseman-kyle-quincey-on-waivers/

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/wilds-kyle-quincey-placed-on-waivers/

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/wild/minnesota-wild-defenseman-kyle-quincey-placed-on-waivers/

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-quincey-waived-by-wild-zach-parise-skates-talks-about-recovery/460798503/

Zach Parise has skated for the first time since his microdiscectomy surgery on October 24.

"Everything kind of came back toward the end of the skate," he said. "Most importantly, nothing hurt. It was a really good day, a really good sign," 

--Zach Parise before team practice on Wednesday

https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/minnesota-wild-zach-parise-skates-for-first-time-since-back-surgery-112917

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/11/29/wilds-parise-resumes-skating-in-back-surgery-recovery/108148284/

Well, can't say I am sad to see Quincey on waivers.

I know he was signed as that "veteran presence" to try and replace the traded-away Marco Scandella, but that has not worked at all.

I often heard Wings fans criticize Quincey for one thing or another, but whenever I'd watch him play in Detroit he seemed decent enough....now that Minnesota had him signed and I got to watch him more in-depth, I can see why many Wings fans were down on him:  He is quite slow of foot, often crosses himself up in his decision making, and generally looks a bit lost out there when the tempo picks up.

I know the Wild needed to do something to replace Scandella, but Quincey simply wasn't the answer.

Oh, hey, Wild.... St. Louis put Nate Prosser on waivers too. You know, the same Nate Prosser who served so well as an extra defender, fill-in defender and was reasonably competent in the role? The guy you chose not to hang on to despite the fact that he WAS decent and made a very small dent in your cap hit? The guy who LOVED playing in Minnesota despite his diminished role?

Give him another go, eh? 

As for Parise, well, I really wasn't expecting him back till perhaps January or February if he indeed was going to return this season.

If he can return fully cleared, then great. Otherwise, maybe it is best he stay on the shelf till next season as I really don't have faith that the Wild can make any kind of playoff run the way they are constructed and playing this season....and it probably wouldn't be worth it to rush Zack back.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Good call on Prosser! Inside info, lol? Just don't wish Quincey back on my Wings!

LOL....ya, I even amazed myself when I saw the Wild actually picked him back up from waivers.

Thing is, the Wild and Prosser seem to have this complicated relationship.

Minnesota has needs on defense when guys go down with injury (and it seems to happen a LOT) or guys they sign don't perform as expected (Keith Ballard, Stu Bickel, Jonathan Blum, and most recently now, Kyle Quincey), and good ol Nate Prosser fill in their minutes, does a decent job.

Then the Wild get a big head about themselves, decided they don't need Prosser any longer, waive him, St. Louis picks him up...THEY don't use him because their defense corps is usually deep enough, THEY waive him, and Minnesota picks him up once again.

This is the second time in as many seasons this happens! So, afraid I can't take too much credit for an event that seems to be annual now. :lol:

Seriously though, Nate Prosser isn't going to blow anyone away with numbers or elite level performance on the ice.

But what he IS, is a good, low cost soldier, who doesn't seem to require much time on IR (he shouldn't, despite the fact he is 31, he has been used so sparingly over the years, he has very few miles for a player of his age), brings a bit of sandpaper to the blueline, and just does a good enough job on defense (he hardly ever is a liability unless the coach is stupid enough to constantly match him up against the other team's top line), will play for around $1M or less, and from things I've read, he LOVES playing for the Wild (he is actually from Elk River, MN, a small town a few miles North West of Minneapolis).

The Minnesota boy living the American dream playing for his home state club.

You can't beat that for loyalty.

Wild should stop screwing around and just give this guy a nice 3 or 4 year extension with like a 900K- 1M AAV, Prosser will probably take it, and Minnesota will always have a go-to, reliable bottom pair / extra defenseman to  help them out when they need it.

Sometimes a franchise just has to accept when a guy is just a good foot soldier and quit being so snobby bout stuff.

Lots of teams out there, I am sure, would LOVE to have a guy who is as loyal, won't break the cap, and still do a decent job for them on the ice.

1 hour ago, Devin Wieser said:

I don't know why we claimed Prosser off waivers after trading him to the Blues.

He wasn't traded.

He was let go as a UFA.

And Minnesota is realizing that Kyle Quincey and Gustav Oloffsson aren't the answers on defense and are scrambling around to try and rectify that.

I believe they are also realizing not keeping Christian Folin (who is doing a decent job in LA) was a mistake, as was probably trading away Marco Scandella....although in THAT case, I know they were trying to get out from under Pominvilles' $5.6M AAV and two years left contract.

And they dropped the ball big time signing Kyle Quincey to replace him.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Good call on Prosser! Inside info, lol? Just don't wish Quincey back on my Wings!

From what I saw of Quincey, I wouldn't wish him on anyone......errr, cept maybe the Pens, Habs or Bruins.... :ph34r:

Detroit has enough issues without throwing in some KQ grade fuel to the fire.

I am sure Quincey is a likeable stand up guy.

But his play on the ice is just no longer NHL caliber.

I never watched him over his career to know whether it ever WAS NHL quality, but it sure isn't now. The game just looks too fast for him.

I know some years back when Yzerman was still new to the TB GM job, he actually traded for Quincey (from the Avs) sending Steve Downie to Colorado, then Yzerman quickly flipped Quincey over to the Wings..... leading many ignoramuses among the Lightning fan base to believe Yzerman was actually sabotaging the club to help supplement his former Red Wings.

Well, as you know now, Quincey was HARDLY supplementing anyone, and he is as steadfast about being TB's GM as he was being Detroit's captain and front office assistant.

So, if you want to perhaps spread blame around as to how Quincey ended up on your Wings, look no further than your former Captain Steve Yzerman for that fine gift.  :bigteeth:

22 minutes ago, Devin Wieser said:

How old is Kyle Quincey......Do  any of you know?:hithead:

According to capfriendly.com, he just turned 32 this past summer.

Age-wise, still NHL viable, but like I said already, he looks really slow out there...which in turn affects his decision making as he has to make up his mind about what to do on any given play that much faster.

I just think the speed of the game is too much for him these days.

If we still had 'clutch n grab' hockey, he would still be useful, as he would make an excellent obstacle, but not in today's game.

24 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

According to capfriendly.com, he just turned 32 this past summer.

Age-wise, still NHL viable, but like I said already, he looks really slow out there...which in turn affects his decision making as he has to make up his mind about what to do on any given play that much faster.

I just think the speed of the game is too much for him these days.

If we still had 'clutch n grab' hockey, he would still be useful, as he would make an excellent obstacle, but not in today's game.

True......He is slow........I don't know what we will do with him.:bonkingheadonwall:

2 minutes ago, Devin Wieser said:

True......He is slow........I don't know what we will do with him.:bonkingheadonwall:

Well, he is on waivers.

If no one claims him, he can then be sent to the minors.

If Quincey refuses to go to the minors (he probably won't want to go), then the contract between he and the Wild can be voided, Minnesota would be done with him, he would be a free agent, and can sign with someone else if he can.

Archived