Attention Anthony Mantha:

SpikeDDS

If you listened to either Henrik Zetterberg or Jeff Blashill in their post-game comments after their 4-0 loss to the Golden Knights last night, there was a new catchphrase “poke and hope.” Both of them used it more than once. It was not coincidental.

It was a reference pointed at Anthony Mantha among others, but specifically him without naming him, for his insufficient defense in our own zone that manifested as an attempt to poke a puck free and skate by the opponent out of the zone for a potential breakaway chance. Except that he forgot to make sure he got the puck. The result was that he skated out of the defensive zone, leaving his opponent free to skate alone into the slot and score a goal.

I like Anthony Mantha, but they are right—if he doesn’t learn to stop being a liability, he will never be great. Same with our other young players.

This is EXACTLY why TOTAL, COMPLETE rebuilds are not great ideas. You still need veteran talent to both tell and, more importantly, show young players how to play a complete game.

But you can see the frustration building within Zetterberg. This keeps up, I can see him asking for a deadline deal to get him to a Cup contender for his last hurrah in a season or two. Either that, or he will start asking for trading away those who refuse to conform.

I’m not saying that he is there yet. I’m saying if this continues, he will eventually get there.

It's been Manthas M.O. going back to junior. He just doesn't care when he doesn't have the puck. Reminds me of JVR. And I don't think you're going to get that leopard to change it's stripes.

Or is it tiger change its spots?

@SpikeDDS 

I watched Mantha in the AHL against the Rockford Icehogs several times. That's how he acted down there. I think he's gotten too complacent. 

You're right, the team needs the young, fast talent, but they need to be held accountable. So what the Wings are out of the playoff race? You need to work on getting better for next year.

The short handed goal by the Jackets  was ridiculous last night, I was listening to the Jackets feed and two CBJ players were along the boards fighting for the puck and two Wings were simply standing behind them using their sticks to try to get at the puck, Columbus muscled the puck away, got a breakaway and shorthanded Calvert scored. Pure effort by the Jackets, absolutely none by the Wings, the Jackets announcers went on and on about the lack of try by the Wings on that play. David Savard controlled the puck, Mantha and Frk just stood there poking at it with their sticks not bothering to even try to muscle him away. AND THE WORST part of the play is when the Jackets got control of the puck for the breakout, Mantha, Frk and Green stood behind the play for a good two seconds allowing a 3 on 2 the other way. 

No jump, little effort, this is a team that has quit and is on the golf course mentally and ready for summer vacation and a new coach. It is not just Mantha but he and Blashill have a hate/hate relationship stretching back several years and I am hoping the right coach might light a fire. 

Archived