What are the Rangers up to?

Paparanger

So, I have been a Ranger fan since 1971. As a fan I have not always agreed with their business practice concerning how the team was run. Afterall, any sports franchise that has been around for ninety-two years and only has four championships to show for it must be doing something wrong. Until now;

Ever since Jeff Gorton announced the team was going into a different direction there has been a ton of speculation as to what the Rangers are up to. Are they rebuilding or retooling? Although Gorton hasn't said, I believe it's a little bit of both.

Right now the Rangers have in excess on $30,000,000.00 in cap space and I have read the cap is going up so it will probably around $33,000,000.00. So that helps. This allows the team to sign the restricted free agents that they want to keep and I am sure some will probably move on to other teams. This also allows the Rangers to add a couple of vets to help the newbies acclimate to the NHL and it's style of play.   

The one thing that I am most excited about is the Firing of the coaching staff, because I was watching Neil Poink & John Gilmore and I picked up on two things; Both are capable of being NHL defensemen but neither had the NHL smarts to keep the puck out of the net. I blame that on A.V and his staff. Although I am sure he didn't listen to Ruff or anyone else. Then I look at the NHL playoffs and watch Dan Girardi excel in his role with the Bolts and I say to myself "Is this the same guy the Rangers bought out?" Or better yet, "Is this the same guy that made all those ugly mistakes under A.V.?"

I'm glad the Rangers are not looking for an NHL retred and are exploring all options. I get the feeling that this time the Rangers are going to do the right thing and stop plugging in hasbeens and other teams tarnished stars in an attempt to steel a cup.

Don't get me wrong; I understand that the Rangers are going to go through some growing pains and it's not going to be pretty. But there is going to be hope and watching the young guys grow is going to be exciting.

@Paparanger

What are your thoughts/hopes at where they're going as far as FA signings?   You think from the back out (defense...I don't think goalie)?  Or do you think they'll try to get Tavares to move to 4 Pennsylvania Plaza?   What do you thin gets most bang for the buck?   At $33M, i realize they can do multiple things, but where does the first priority go?

• 1 month later...

Archived