Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Hey folks!

It's been a while since I've been on the forums. Pretty sure I said this last time, but I apologize for being inactive! I have been busy with college life. Hope you are all healthy and doing well!

So let's talk offseason.

Notes:

- Red Wings have two first round picks this year (thanks, Vegas! Miss Tats though... such a class act)

- D Mike Green is a UFA on July 1st

- Larkin, Mantha, and AA are in need of extensions

- Holland will remain in Detroit for at least another two years (why, Chris, why?)

- Hank and Kronwall say they'll be back next season

- Highly sought after superstar John Tavares could test the market on July 1st
- Edmonton is open to moving their 10th overall pick

- Penguins could be looking to move players, definitely want to improve defense

I am going to number my questions one by one like so so that it's a bit easier for you all to add commentary lol.

-----

Blue-line Blues...

With Detroit in desperate need of blue-line help, who do we make a play for? I read an article yesterday that discussed the possibility of trading for Arizona's household defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Nobody asked for my opinion, but I'll say it anyway: that 6th overall pick should be untouchable. This draft has too much wealth of talent, and we can't afford to miss out on the opportunity to score a big fish (especially one who improves our defense). If Arizona asks for that pick, it has to be a no. 

ONE: In the hypothetical that we do make a play for Ekman-Larsson, what are your thoughts on a trade including that Vegas pick, Nyquist (maybe AA? Or both?), and a prospect (Hronek was one that a writer mentioned in an article)? Your commentary is welcomed on this note.

The Trade:

Detroit receives: D Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona receives: 2018 1st round pick (from VGK), RW Gustav Nyquist (?), C Andreas Athanasiou (?), D Filip Hronek

Nyquist's contract gives some help to Arizona in reaching the cap floor. Not sure if that will do it though.

Conversely, how do you guys feel about trading up (obviously this means we do move our 6th overall)? Buffalo might as well sign Dahlin now... so how about Svechnikov? Wouldn't it be awesome to see him wearing the Winged Wheel?

Okay, sorry. Back to reality. TWO: Speaking of that 6th overall pick, who tops your draft list?

I've watched highlights of most of the candidates for the Wings, and I have to say say: Bouchard tops that list (he seems to be the consensus). He's a big guy, moves the puck well, and has a coveted right hand shot. Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, and Dobson are also candidates. In my mock draft, I say the Wings take Bouchard (if they don't trade up, that is).

Tavares Talk...

I'm not getting my hopes up about Tavares. I'm having flashbacks to the Stamkos hype, which obviously you know how that went. (Side note: speaking of Tampa Bay, it still amazes me that Washington is playing them in the ECF.) But back on topic - THREE: what do fellow fans think about making a splash for Tavares? We'd have to move some cap (shedding Green's contract, moving Nyquist, and convincing Larkin and Mantha to take less money than they'd originally ask for would help some. Still not there yet though.) Unfortunately, this all goes back to the elephant in the room... Kenny's horrible contracts.

Offseason...

Hypothetical:

Cap hit for the 2017-18 season was $75M, so let's say it increases to $80M next season.

Free Agent Signings:

- Larkin and Mantha to same deal: 5 years, AAV of $6M maybe more, maybe less.

- FOUR: I don't even know where to start with Bertuzzi and Frk. I'd like your opinion on these. Let's say they both ask for AAV of $1.2M for 3 years.

- A few other minute signings for guys who mainly play in Grand Rapids.

- FIVE: Grubauer or Hutton? Let's say both ask for $1.125M AAV (Hutton's current contract) for 2 years. Grubauer will be RFA (Washington). Wings need to look into the goaltending situation.

- Wings don't resign Green.

- Tavares signing is pretty much impossible unless we shed a lot of cap.

SIX: Can someone answer this: does Franzen's cap affect us right now? If so, we LTIR him next season right?

Trades:

SEVEN: Your input on the following:

- A trade for Pittsburgh's LW Conor Sheary? Not sure if they're looking to deal him, but Rutherford said he's open to movements and Sheary seems like he'd fit in Detroit. Fills a need on the wing if Svechnikov and Smith don't get the call next season.

- A trade for Edmonton's D Oscar Klefbom?

- If OEL trade didn't work, where do we send Nyquist? Do we wait until the deadline?

EIGHT: Just for the hell of it... what do you guys think of Erik Karlsson? Will Ottawa deal him? One GM said the price for him was "stupid high" or something along those lines lol.

Okay, that's enough for now. I'll await your replies! I'm gonna be more active on here now that it's summer (don't I say this every year, though...?)

LGRW.