Condon put on waivers

Puck_Pun

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-place-g-condon-on-waivers-after-rough-night-1.1201505

I'm not surprised, though it was unexpected. With the team struggling with injury (five centres and Chuck) and a defence lacking in experience it's not all his fault. However, he's still a weak link in the team and it'll be interesting to see if this puts a bit of a jolt into the team as a whole

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

@Puck_Pun One could assume Stepan's goal might have been the straw that broke Dorion's back.

https://www.nhl.com/video/stepans-shorthanded-goal/t-299966370/c-62464603

Horrible.

I didn't see the game but I heard about the goal, this is the first time I've seen it. That's really ugly.

This will be his equivalent of the goal against Mason by the caps

I've never really felt Mike Condon was "NHL material", but I am thinking, with him on waivers, cap hit just under $2.5M, maybe some team desperate for goaltending may give him another shot.

Philadelphia, still desperate for someone, anyone, who can stop a puck.... Los Angeles, who just found out Jonathan Quick will be out indefinitely.... Vancouver, who have Anders Nilsson on IR, just off the top of my head as clubs who may wanna take a shot in the dark with this guy.

And while Condon may not help any of those teams at all, he just MIGHT find a streak (even if short lived) where he DOES play well.
That has been his MO throughout his career between the NHL and the minors.
I wouldn't trust him to backstop a team to a title of any kind, but he CAN and sometimes does go into a mode where he plays pretty darned well for stretches.

Obviously, the Senators, given their rebuild (not sure if they are terming it that, but let's face it, they need to do just that), aren't too concerned with keeping around a veteran with a streaky record like Condon....they are better served looking at young up n comers to see what they have in the long term.

As for that goal given up to the Coyotes, well, yea, that was, horrible AND embarrassing, BUT, IT DOES HAPPEN!
Why do you think teams, with a second or two before the period buzzer take these wild shots at the goalie.....and why teams sometimes take objection to that at the buzzer:
Because they know it CAN go in if the puck takes a weird bounce or if the goalie, even for a millisecond loses his focus.

I'd say 9.5 times out of 10, ANY goalie stops a long range shot like that.
Unfortunately for Condon, he was that 0.5 on that play.....

And if that had happened to say, Craig Anderson, Carey Price, Frederik Andersen...goalies who have proven good track records, people would say, "Wow, that was bad, but just bad luck!"
But because it's Mike Condon and his spotty record, it is ALL horrible.
Perspective and all that...….

I don't know if Condon will clear waivers or some team will take a flyer (no pun intended hehehe) on him.
But I don't think that awful, awful goal given up should determine his value...…...should be more like whether you think , as a GM, you can stomach a guy who can play lights out for ya...…. or put up a .800 SV% on any given night.
He is a complete crap shoot as an NHL goalie.

51 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I've never really felt Mike Condon was "NHL material", but I am thinking, with him on waivers, cap hit just under $2.5M, maybe some team desperate for goaltending may give him another shot.

Two seasons ago, he was- he essentially carried the team for a third of the season while Anderson was with his wife. He put in a great effort in net, and whether he's able to get back to that sort of form is the big question, really. If a team picks him up they'd be gambling that he can.

Archived