What’s been the X-factor?

SpikeDDS

What is the BIGGEST (not the only) reason for the Red Wings’ turnaround in their last ten games in contrast to their first ten?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BIGGEST (not the only) reason for the Red Wings’ turnaround in their last ten games in contrast to their first ten?

• The play of Dylan Larkin
    • The play of both Detroit goalies
    • Overall team confidence
    • Dan Bylsma finally getting through to players
    • The relative weakness of schedule in the second ten vs. the first ten games
    • The improved play of the secondary young talent

@Podein25

Relative weakness.

It came at just the right time to allow our young players a few games to figure out what they have to do and gain enough confidence to encourage them to play better. They ARE playing better overall. But in the first 10 games, they would play well for 20 minutes, but were anywhere from mediocre to dreadful the other 40.

Had we started playing better against top-tier teams, we would have played well...and still lost. Tough for young players to build momentum without W’s.

This isn’t to belittle the improvement in our game. What the weak schedule did was allow us to increase the speed of our gaining confidence more than it otherwise would have been, even had we played the same.

@SpikeDDS

To me it is:

Lots of home games. It is a fact that home ice advantage is HUGE in the NHL

The return of Green, Kronwall, Daley and Dekeyser has stabilized the defense. All are playing wonderful.

The kids, most notably Rasmussen and Cholowski have been a shot in the arm.

The play of Larkin who has taken over in every way as the team leader.

Goaltending has been solid giving the team a chance to win most nights.

.Luck. Most teams have a game or two that they come back from two or more down to win throughout an entire season, the Wings have had 4 in their past 7.

So home ice, stabilized defense, solid play from kids, Larkin, decent goaltending and a fair amount of luck have been the key contributors to they change in fortune. 

@yave1964

The reason I didn’t pick Larkin is that his play has pretty much been consistent from Day 1. It wasn’t like suddenly after 10 games he turned it up a notch. He has played up a notch since the beginning.

i do think the return of the veteran D-men is a good choice I neglected to add. That’s a good thought.

Archived