Playoffs time

14 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I won't go as far as saying "Let's go Pens", but I'll definitely go with a "Screw the Habs".

Ok! That means I have to work harder to get you to right side. I know you would enjoy being a Pens fan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I won't go as far as saying "Let's go Pens", but I'll definitely go with a "Screw the Habs".

I thought that most Canadians rooted for the Habs! Why not a Canadian team? I'm curious!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Ok! That means I have to work harder to get you to right side. I know you would enjoy being a Pens fan.

Well, the 8-0 rout of the North Stars in game #6 of the 1991 SC final (when the Pens won its first Cup) is still stuck in my throat.

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I thought that most Canadians rooted for the Habs! Why not a Canadian team? I'm curious!

To make a short story, I became Canadian a while ago and grew up as a fan of the Stars franchise. I've always despised the Habs, their arrogance, cockiness, the fact that they consider themselves as the best team, having the greatest fans in the galaxy, their versatility (win 3 games in a row, Lord Stanley, here we come ! Lose 3 in a row, fire everybody) and always living in the past when they won cups where goalies used to put leather on their faces and hockey was a totally different sports with the NHL having only 6 teams. And I hate the fact that they were given a second chance to be in the playoffs as they had almost 0% chances of making it.

To be honest, I have more respect for Leafs fans who have been eating sh!t for decades and still remain loyal for the most of them. Same thing for Edmonton.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:22 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

Well, the 8-0 rout of the North Stars in game #6 of the 1991 SC final (when the Pens won its first Cup) is still stuck in my throat.

To make a short story, I became Canadian a while ago and grew up as a fan of the Stars franchise. I've always despised the Habs, their arrogance, cockiness, the fact that they consider themselves as the best team, having the greatest fans in the galaxy, their versatility (win 3 games in a row, Lord Stanley, here we come ! Lose 3 in a row, fire everybody) and always living in the past when they won cups where goalies used to put leather on their faces and hockey was a totally different sports with the NHL having only 6 teams. And I hate the fact that they were given a second chance to be in the playoffs as they had almost 0% chances of making it.

To be honest, I have more respect for Leafs fans who have been eating sh!t for decades and still remain loyal for the most of them. Same thing for Edmonton.

Fair enough! I used to like watching the Habs in the mid 70s. That faded over the years! 

This season should have been cancelled. Then start next season on time. I guess that Bettman for you.

7 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Fair enough! I used to like watching the Habs in the mid 70s. That faded over the years! 

This season should have been cancelled. Then start next season on time. I guess that Bettman for you.

You became a Canadian! If you don't mind me asking what country where you born in?

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Game 6 of the 91 finals is in the top 2 favorite games I have watched. I had to pinched myself to see if I wasn't dreaming.

These kind of games when there's just nothing to do. North Stars were trailing 3-2 in the series, they allowed the first goal, forcing them to rush, hence open spaces. Then you don't have many choices and against a talented team that had everything on its side, that was the logical outcome. In fact, it's not a bad souvenir: I was still in Switzerland, there was no internet and modern communications channel, I could only rely on magazines and our internet ancestor, a command line window plug-in on the TV with MS-Dos style writing. When I got up in the morning to see the result, I just couldn't believe it and I remember that day as if it was yesterday. The Cinderella run was really unexpected, they qualified as the last seed in the playoffs with a losing record before upsetting Chicago, St-Louis and Edmonton. The North Stars were leading the SC final, but they finally hit the wall, the final step was just too high.

You became a Canadian! If you don't mind me asking what country where you born in?

Sure! Originally from Switzerland but I'm part czech too and now living in Québec City. A real bastard :lol:

16 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

These kind of games when there's just nothing to do. North Stars were trailing 3-2 in the series, they allowed the first goal, forcing them to rush, hence open spaces. Then you don't have many choices and against a talented team that had everything on its side, that was the logical outcome. In fact, it's not a bad souvenir: I was still in Switzerland, there was no internet and modern communications channel, I could only rely on magazines and our internet ancestor, a command line window plug-in on the TV with MS-Dos style writing. When I got up in the morning to see the result, I just couldn't believe it and I remember that day as if it was yesterday. The Cinderella run was really unexpected, they qualified as the last seed in the playoffs with a losing record before upsetting Chicago, St-Louis and Edmonton. The North Stars were leading the SC final, but they finally hit the wall, the final step was just too high.

Sure! Originally from Switzerland but I'm part czech too and now living in Québec City. A real bastard :lol:

I'm glad you're here. If Quebec gets a 3rd team (Bulldogs and Nordiques were the first two.) Are you changing who you root for?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Murry was just so-so and has not been at the top of his game in the past  seasons but that is just my opinion and I would trade him fast for another goalie, maybe check waivers. . . . . . . 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:23 AM, notfondajane said:

I'm glad you're here. If Quebec gets a 3rd team (Bulldogs and Nordiques were the first two.) Are you changing who you root for?

Honestly, no. The only advantage it would have is to go to some games within a 10-mn walk. I always stick to the teams I root for, and especially if they have a long history of sucking (Raiders and Cubs, somehow I think I deserve it).

And frankly, the chances for QC City to have the NHL back is about less than 0.1%. Equilibrium is now reached between conferences, situations in Florida and Carolina are now settled, Phoenix will move back downtown. Having talked with some people close to the Québec market, they all agree that the Nordiques' return won't happen. It would be the smallest market and foremost a french one. Lots of politics is involved and that's the least thing the League wants in this business.

So we have now a great new NHL 19,500-seat arena entirely funded by provincial taxpayers for... Junior hockey. The city and provincial government did all wrong by building the arena first while Buttman didn't promise anything, he just said that Québec could be a potential spot and they took his words for granted.

5 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Honestly, no. The only advantage it would have is to go to some games within a 10-mn walk. I always stick to the teams I root for, and especially if they have a long history of sucking (Raiders and Cubs, somehow I think I deserve it).

And frankly, the chances for QC City to have the NHL back is about less than 0.1%. Equilibrium is now reached between conferences, situations in Florida and Carolina are now settled, Phoenix will move back downtown. Having talked with some people close to the Québec market, they all agree that the Nordiques' return won't happen. It would be the smallest market and foremost a french one. Lots of politics is involved and that's the least thing the League wants in this business.

So we have now a great new NHL 19,500-seat arena entirely funded by provincial taxpayers for... Junior hockey. The city and provincial government did all wrong by building the arena first while Buttman didn't promise anything, he just said that Québec could be a potential spot and they took his words for granted.

I didn't like the idea of the Nordiques leaving Quebec.(nothing against Denver.) I was hoping the Devils would have relocated to back to Kanas City or Houston. To many teams from Boston to Washington. Maybe some day that will happen?! I have no with the franchise itself,only the location.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, SlapShot66 said:

I thought Murry was just so-so and has not been at the top of his game in the past  seasons but that is just my opinion and I would trade him fast for another goalie, maybe check waivers. . . . . . . 

Murray has Marc Andre Fleury syndrome. The coaching staff be has to break him of that.

I didn't like the idea of the Nordiques leaving Quebec.(nothing against Denver.) I was hoping the Devils would have relocated to back to Kanas City or Houston. To many teams from Boston to Washington. Maybe some day that will happen?! I have no with the franchise itself,only the location.

I have no problem with the franchise just the location