Holtby to the Canucks

Holtby, 2 years at 4.3 million per signs with the Canucks, clearly meaning Markstrom wants and expects more money/term. 

I like it, he was squeezed out by the maturation of Samsonov but he won a cup just a few years ago.

I found this signing a bit of a surprise.

I thought for sure Holtby would end up somewhere like Colorado, Pittsburgh, or even Nashville.
Teams that either are a few players away or a reload away from possibly making deep playoff runs over the next few years.

Not that I think Vancouver is a bad landing spot for him, but it seems that team still is a work in progress and still needs to address defensive and some 5 on 5 scoring issues before they can really be counted on to so serious damage in the post season.

If anything, I think Demko proved in the playoffs that he CAN play big boy games and play them well.
Van's downfall seemed to be their lack of capitalizing offensively and suspect defensive coverage.

The Holtby signing, while not awful by any stretch, feels like Vancouver is simply fortifying something they already had that was good (goaltending), rather than address something that was needed to take the 'next step' (consistent forwards and better defensive defensmen).

I was a pseudo fan of the Canucks last season and well, that probably won't change much this season.
I am interested to see how Holtby does in his new environment....and if the Canucks, internally, can address their needs.

Still should be a fun team to watch.
Rather enjoyed Canucks games this past season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I found this signing a bit of a surprise.

I thought for sure Holtby would end up somewhere like Colorado, Pittsburgh, or even Nashville.
Teams that either are a few players away or a reload away from possibly making deep playoff runs over the next few years.

Not that I think Vancouver is a bad landing spot for him, but it seems that team still is a work in progress and still needs to address defensive and some 5 on 5 scoring issues before they can really be counted on to so serious damage in the post season.

If anything, I think Demko proved in the playoffs that he CAN play big boy games and play them well.
Van's downfall seemed to be their lack of capitalizing offensively and suspect defensive coverage.

The Holtby signing, while not awful by any stretch, feels like Vancouver is simply fortifying something they already had that was good (goaltending), rather than address something that was needed to take the 'next step' (consistent forwards and better defensive defensmen).

I was a pseudo fan of the Canucks last season and well, that probably won't change much this season.
I am interested to see how Holtby does in his new environment....and if the Canucks, internally, can address their needs.

Still should be a fun team to watch.
Rather enjoyed Canucks games this past season.

Question is ..... Demko is a RFA after this coming year. Does he stick around and resign or does he bolt?  As you mentioned, Demko proved in the playoffs he can carry the load.  If I am Demko I start thinking about it long and hard, especially if Holtby  is there for at least 2 years.