This and that, Ovie ties Espo, Bread man returns

yave1964

Late in last nights one sided victory over the deflated Sabres Ovie scored his 717th career goal to pull into a tie with Phil (dont call me angelo) Esposito for 6th place all time. Ahead of him:

5) Marcel Dionne 731

4)Brett Hull 741

3) Jagr 766

2)Gordie 801

1)Wayne 894

With a bit of a push Dionne is certainly within reach this season and Hull/Jagr are certainly catchable next year, Gordie the year after. Then the long slow slog towards Wayne begins......

Panarin returned last night against the Flyers with a goal and two assists and was a man on a mission most of the night making up for lost time. Just a hell of a hockey player.

IMHO the best star in hockey who is getting absolutely zero pub is Phillip Grubauer who is in line to possibly win the Vezina trophy and is locked in the zone right now, nothing getting past him. He gets zero press, a lot of people still seem to think this is a weakness for the Avalanche but the fact is he is the reason they are where they are in the standings. If he had not been lost in the playoffs forcing them to turn to Michael Feaking Hutchinson, there is no doubt in the world they would ahve beaten dallas and the finals against Tampa would have been epic instead of a snooze fest.

Montreal seems to have turned a corner and are playing damn good hockey right now, but the road they are on is usually filled with S curves. Anderson and Toffoli are showing exactly zero signs of slowing down which is a godsend for their team.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

IMHO the best star in hockey who is getting absolutely zero pub is Phillip Grubauer who is in line to possibly win the Vezina trophy and is locked in the zone right now, nothing getting past him.

Capitals fans remember Grubauer for being selected over Braden Holtby by the coaches to start in goal for the 2018 playoffs.  I distinctly recall all the Caps TV announcer crew agreeing that Grubauer played much better than Holts down the regular season stretch.

He then loses the first two games against Columbus, in Washington, both in OT.  My memory is that the Bread Man was lethal.  And it looked like yet another of the un-countable Caps playoff collapses was in swing.

In comes Holtby for game 3 in Ohio.  (Double OT win for the Caps thanks to the will-never-forget-him Devante Smith-Pelle.)  And from that point on, Holtby and the Caps sweep, towards what ended up as an improbable road to Lord Stanley’s Cup for the erstwhile choking dogs.

Grubauer let go soon afterwards.  He got a Ring, but it had to hurt.  I hope he does well now and in this year’s playoffs.

Edited by SaucyJack
Typos
  • Like 1

@SaucyJack

Welcome to the forum.

My wife attended that game 3, we live an hour north of Columbus and she is an insane Jackets fan I remember her literally crying, we knew the series was over with that one goal. Never mind that CBJ still led 2 games to 1, it was over.

As for goalies Washington donated Holtby to Vancouver, Grubauer to Colorado, will Samsonov lose his job to Vanecek? If so, please feel free to donate him to my Wings, lol

33 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

My wife attended that game 3, we live an hour north of Columbus and she is an insane Jackets fan I remember her literally crying, we knew the series was over with that one goal.

My condolences to your wife.  I know some fellow Caps fans who have shed tears over the years with the Caps blowing big series leads.

Good grief it was not quite 3 years ago and my memory has already failed.  That key double OT goal is credited to Lars Eller with Smith-Pelle on 2nd assist.  I have a different vision in my head of Smith-Pelle with a crucial tip-in goal, but where and when?  OK, I suppose I will eventually also forget his name, too.  Doh!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

I suppose I will eventually also forget his name, too.  Doh!

Especially as I apparently don’t know it now...Smith-Pelly not Pelle.  Double Doh!

What I remember about that lucky Lars Eller double OT goal (which looked like an “own goal” had this been soccer) was Smith-Pelly jumping up and down by the goal crease in rapturous 🤩 so of course in my dull 🧠 ‘remembered’ he scored it.

——————————

As for Philipp Grubauer (sorry for the sidetrack here) I am glad to see he had some better success in the 2019 playoffs for the Avs despite a 2nd round game 7 loss to San Jose.