Filip Lindberg

Alexandron

Here are news from Michael Russo twit:

"MN Wild have been unable to come to a contract agreement with goalie prospect Filip Lindberg. The NCAA champ was drafted as a 20-year-old, so his agent has submitted a 30-day letter so his Wild rights expire at the end of June. He’s free to sign w/another NHL club July 28."

That would be very sad if this talented 22 y.o. goalie prospect from Finland will not be signed with our Wild club. He was drafted in 2019 in round 7 #197 overall by the Wild but he did show in a last 2 years an outstanding progress. He has already golds in WJC-20 (Finland team) and HCAA (UMass team) tournaments which are extremely tough one. According to eliteprospects link he has through his career a very consistent stats, which is an important trait, especially, for the playoffs seasons. His GAA with UMass were 1,6; 1,9; 1,24 the last 3 years and he had 4-2-5 shutouts in these years respectively.

No problem. Two messages makes the message even more dire. We really would have needed Lindberg on the roster. He's been extremely promising. Apparently he's a straight A student, which usually is good thing, but now that bites us in the ass, as he sees too many opportunities. He would achieve more in his life by concentrating his will in one direction, the Wild that is.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

No problem. Two messages makes the message even more dire. We really would have needed Lindberg on the roster. He's been extremely promising. Apparently he's a straight A student, which usually is good thing, but now that bites us in the ass, as he sees too many opportunities. He would achieve more in his life by concentrating his will in one direction, the Wild that is.

If we will lose him then the Wild will not have an opportunity to get the most consistent goalie for the team.  Maybe he is our future star ? I am still hoping for the Kahkonen progress too. Probably, if he will played more games this season, then he will receive more professional experience too. He played only 24 games (16-8-0); GAA 2.88, which is not enough. Interesting, that Evason did not replaced both goalies in any games when it was necessary during the game. We had frustrating bad scores for the goalies during the season, but coach didn't do anything to restore their mental destruction during the game. Even Fleury was replaced once during the season, but we did not. It is absolutely not an acceptable practice, IMO. That should be changed.

We really have to play Kahkonen more. No other way to find out how good he can become.

I have a different view on letting goalies play even if it's a bad game. It's tough, I agree there, but I feel an NHL level goalie needs to have the mental toughness of surviving getting beaten up. If they are too soft they might fail mentally when it matters most, in the Stanley Cup finals.

Well, he probably feels / knows he can probably get more money as a free agent then simply signing on with the Wild.  Justin Schultz and Blake Wheeler did this; its an advantage that college-trained players have.  Sad, but not entirely surprising.  

• Uggh... 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:49 AM, lynxrattle said:

We really have to play Kahkonen more. No other way to find out how good he can become.

I have a different view on letting goalies play even if it's a bad game. It's tough, I agree there, but I feel an NHL level goalie needs to have the mental toughness of surviving getting beaten up. If they are too soft they might fail mentally when it matters most, in the Stanley Cup finals.

I agree with that part - to play Kahkonen more like our other former goalie prospects are doing now Darcy Kuemper and Anton Khudobin. This way he will get more and more NHL experience, consistency in winning  and toughness too. It should be at least 50-50 with Talbot or other goalie (hope someday with Filip Lindberg). 

Regarding a mental toughness part I am still not sure if this is the best way of doing that, because they fail already mentally for a while when score was 1:9; 0:6; 3:7. I do not remember if they restored smoothly well after these scores. And, I think, the team will start on working more hard to restore the goalie's confidence too after these scores. 🤔

Speaking about Kuemper I was pretty sure he would never win anything, as I suspected his nerves would fail him at the crucial moment. Well, he did won the gold for Canada in the IIHF Championships. Not that the teams there were much this year, but he played fine. Let's hope Kahkonen is able to get his act together too.

• Like 1