misc signings and news

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Or even this coming season.  I don't like him; I don't think he's the guy.

Well..... I WAS trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Like I did with Holtby in Vancouver.

But...we know how well Holtby went over with the Canucks.
Is Matt Murray on the same precipice?
Maybe. Just hate to think that a Stanley Cup winning goalie is a flash in the pan.

Oh wait....there's the Holtby example again......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well..... I WAS trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Like I did with Holtby in Vancouver.

But...we know how well Holtby went over with the Canucks.
Is Matt Murray on the same precipice?
Maybe. Just hate to think that a Stanley Cup winning goalie is a flash in the pan.

Oh wait....there's the Holtby example again......

I think it's different than Holtby, but I think ultimately with similar result.

I think at their heights, Holtby was better than Murray.  I think Holtby was good even while waiting for the rest of the Caps team to catch up to him.  But sadly, I think reflexes have lost a few gears for Holtby to the point where I'm fearful of putting him in my net even as a backup.   He has the experience and knowledge, so I'm tempted from the mentor perspective.   I'd venture to guess teams are realizing where to take of advantage of a deteriorated Holtby at this point, so I don't know.

Murray:   you know I had him in fantasy quite a bit.   He was always only okay in the regular season but i don't think ever fantastic.  And I don't think ever on the level of Holtby.   He benefitted from the team in front of him and even more so when the lights shown brighter in the playoffs and that team kicked to a higher gear.  In the absence of that, he was pedestrian.  And then the injuries began and he's been diminished.   He still has stretches where he's better than his current average.   Unlike Holtby, I'd risk Murray as a 25 game backup and veteran presence behind someone provided he's willing to play that role and not hinder my younger goalie.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that while I don't trust Holtby in my net at all because I think he's slower than he was and that it's enough that the opponent can take advantage of it, Murray is still "meh" and was never quite as good as we'd like to think given the 2 Cups.   He was what the Pens needed at the time, though.    So, I think he can still be what a team needs if the need is a backup/mentor.   If it's relying on starting 50-60 games and staying healthy and often erasing the mistakes of  a still-maturing team structure, I don't like him for that.

Does that ramble make the slightest bit of sense (regardless of whether one agrees or not)?

• Like 1

I'm still very skeptical about the Holtby signing. However, two things that makes me see the glass half full: the 1-yr/$2M contract which is a calculated risk (that allows one more season for Öttinger to work on shootouts and legs squeezing), and the fact that he was playing behind a hideous defensive squad last year.