David Krejci leaves the bruins for Czech Republic

Brewin Flames

• Krejci leaving Bruins, to play in Czech Republic

After 14 years with the Boston Bruins, David Krejci is returning home to play in his native Czech Republic.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

After 14 years with the Boston Bruins, David Krejci is returning home to play in his native Czech Republic. 

“Since the end of the season, as I have thought about my future, it has become clear that I need to make a difficult decision for my family and I,” Krejci said in a statement. “At this point in my career and life I need to return to the Czech Republic and play in front of my family who sacrificed so much to help me achieve my NHL dreams.

I want to play in front of my parents, brother and friends. I want my children to live where I grew up, spend time with so many Czech family members who love them and create lifelong memories.”

In 51 games last season, the 35-year-old recorded eight goals and 44 points, averaging 17:08 of ice time. In 962 career NHL games, Krejci has 215 goals and 730 points, all with Boston.

He won the Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2011.

Krejci, IMO, was always one of the more underrated top six centers in the league.
Even as he got older, his skillset seemed to stay about the same, even as injuries mounted and got in his way.

When it looked like the Bruins weren't going to bring him back, I thought for sure some playoff contender would swoop in and sign him to be their 2C....yes, I still think he can be a 2C in this league, even at age 35.
I certainly wouldn't have minded him on the Minnesota Wild for instance!

At any rate, it looks like Krejci would rather spend his remaining playing years at home, and well, he has earned that right.
Consistent playmaker, playoff performer, a couple Eastern Championships, a Stanley Cup, and an overall class act.

Good luck back home!

• Like 2

In re reading his statement...nowhere does it say he is retiring from the bruins or the nhl, and the czech season ends in march, just in time for the bruins to sign him to a deal, for it would put the bruins over the cap (which we all now know is legal) :P

And it allows him to return to the bruins for a post season run...

6 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

season ends in march, just in time for the bruins to sign him to a deal, for it would put the bruins over the cap (which we all now know is legal) :P

LOL ....right ... the precedent has now been set. ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

LOL ....right ... the precedent has now been set. ;) 

Yup...i 100% feel this is going to happen. He wanted to play a season in Czech, so now he will, then when that season ends, i can almost guarantee he'll be back. Read his statement again, leaves himself wide open for a playoff return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

Yup...i 100% feel this is going to happen. He wanted to play a season in Czech, so now he will, then when that season ends, i can almost guarantee he'll be back. Read his statement again, leaves himself wide open for a playoff return.

Ok....he sounds like Frosty the Snowman then... :ph34r:

Krejci the Bruin
Had to hurry on his way
As he waved goodbye
He said don't you cry
I'll be signed again someday

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ok....he sounds like Frosty the Snowman then... :ph34r:

Krejci the Bruin
Had to hurry on his way