Calgary Flames season 21/22

Brewin Flames

Game # 45

Flames 5 NYI 2

Ruzicka has goal, assist as Flames beat Islanders 5-2

By AP
Updated: 2 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Adam Ruzicka had a goal and an assist, and the Calgary Flames beat the New York Islanders 5-2 on Saturday night for their sixth straight win.

Andrew Mangiapane, Elias Lindholm, Erik Gudbranson and Christopher Tanev also scored, and Johnny Gaudreau had two assists for the Flames, who have opened a seven-game homestand with three wins. Jacob Markstrom, making his 12th consecutive start, finished with 19 saves to improve to 20-10-5 on the season.

“We're playing good hockey here at home,” Mangiapane said. “It feels nice to win at home and get the crowd involved. It's fun to play here right now.”

For Ruzicka, it was the rookie center's first career multipoint game.

“To be honest, I don't really care about the points, I care about that we won the game,” he said. “Six in a row, that's all that matters.”

Calgary climbed within one point of Vegas for first place in the Pacific Division. The Flames hold three games in hand on the Golden Knights.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau had a goal and an assist, and Noah Dobson also scored for the Islanders. Ilya Sorokin, getting a surprise start after Semyon Varlamov was placed into the NHL's COVID-19 protocols during warm-ups, had 24 saves.

“Their (defense) is always active, so it makes it tough,” Islanders center Mathew Barzal said of the Flames. “Felt like we had a lot of 2-on-3s, 3-on-4s, just never any advantage on the ice it felt like. It's a good hockey team over there, big and fast, good0 D that move and play a nice system. ... We had them 1-1 and just fell off it.”

Calgary struck first at 9:58 when defenseman Rasmus Andersson carried the puck in deep and around the net before centering a pass to Ruzicka, and he one-timed it into the top corner. He has three goals and three assist in 14 games this season.

“He's playing better in his own zone," Flames coach Darryl Sutter said of Ruzicka. “I want him to handle the puck more, which he did tonight. ... He played a good game for us.”

The Islanders tied it up with 2:53 left on a power play when Dobson’s point shot deflected off Blake Coleman’s stick and eluded Markstrom.

The Flames regained the lead 61 seconds later on a setup from Gaudreau, who crossed the Islanders’ blue line, curled back to buy himself some time and space and fed Tanev coming late in the slot, and he fired a 40-foot wrist shot inside the goal post.

Gaudreau extended his points streak to six games (four assists and seven points).

Calgary briefly built up a two-goal lead late in the second period when Ruzicka neatly set up Mangiapane’s redirection in front with 4 1/2 minutes remaining. It was Mangiapane’s team-leading 24th.

“I saw him get open and I put the puck on his tape,” Ruzicka said. “He told me he didn't know I was passing the puck so it hit him and I was fortunate it went in.”

Mangiapane added: “I was kind of battling in front there and I saw him pick the puck up and I had just kind of had my stick on the ice and he just hit it off my stick and it went in. ... He made a great pass.”

But just over a minute later, the Islanders got back to within one when Pageau got free in the slot and one-timed Zach Parise’s pass behind Markstrom.

The Flames got some insurance eight minutes into the third when Gudbranson scored his second of the season on a set-up from Milan Lucic. Calgary put the game away at 15:13 on Lindholm’s one-timer, which extended his goal streak to four and point-streak to six (4-3-7).

• Good Post 1

Game # 46

Flames 6 Jackets 2

Tyler Toffoli scores in Calgary debut as Flames beat Columbus Blue Jackets for season-high 7th straight win

2:30 AM ET
  • ESPN News Services

CALGARY, Alberta -- Tyler Toffoli had a stirring debut with the Calgary Flames.

Toffoli, acquired from Montreal a day earlier, scored, and the Flames won their season-high seventh straight game, beating the Columbus Blue Jackets 6-2 on Tuesday night.

"Obviously, coming to a really good team playing really good hockey right now, I was excited,'' he said.

On his goal at 11:04 of the third period. Toffoli chased down Johnny Gaudreau's lobbed pass and neatly put away his 10th goal of the season as he cut across the net and beat goaltender Elvis Merzlikins.

The Saddledome crowd of 9,639 immediately erupted.

"It was obviously pretty cool, but at the same time a little embarrassing for myself, (Rasmus Andersson) was all over me in the room,'' Toffoli said with a grin.

He played on a line with his old junior linemate and roommate, Sean Monahan and Dillon Dube.

Eased into the lineup, getting only 12:18 in ice time, Toffoli managed four shots on goal.

"We were good right from the start,'' said Dube. "It was a lot of fun. It gave (Monahan) and I some energy to have Toff on the line and get going. I think we had to be good for him and I thought we built off a good start on the first shift.''

Erik Gudbranson, Elias Lindholm, Matthew Tkachuk, Dillon and Adam Ruzicka also scored for Calgary (27-13-6), which moved past Vegas into first place in the Pacific Division, one point ahead of the Golden Knights. The Flames also hold two games in hand.

Rookie goaltender Dan Vladar made his first start in 39 days and his first home appearance of the season for the Flames, and finished with 18 stops, improving to 7-3-1.

"Guys were just unreal in front of me,'' the Czech rookie said. "We are red hot right now. Everybody's playing really well, all the lines are just rolling and we're not just leaning on one line, every line can score.''

Adam Boqvist and Zach Werenski scored for Columbus, which entered with a three-game winning streak and had won five straight on the road.

Merzlikins made his fifth straight start in goal for the Blue Jackets and faced 41 shots.

"They're a powerhouse team,'' Columbus coach Brad Larsen said. "They're big, they're strong, they've got a good balance of veteran guys. It's a pretty deep team. We can't have anybody not on board in that game, not one, to stay with them for 60 (minutes).''

First, Jack Roslovic's turnover resulted in a two-on-one for Gaudreau and Tkachuk. The Flames top scorers did not squander the chance, executing a perfect passing sequence culminating in Tkachuk's 22nd goal.

Then in the final minute, another turnover allowed Dube and Andrew Mangiapane to race in on a two-on-one, with Dube firing a shot past Merlizkins to snap a 13-game pointless streak.

Calgary opened the scoring two minutes into the game on the third goal of the season and second in as many games for Gudbranson. After Milan Lucic won a battle for the puck, sending a pass back to the point, with Gudbranson's low wrist shot squeaking through Merzlikins.

Making it 2-0 at 16:30, Lindholm centered the puck from the corner, and Blue Jackets defenseman Andrew Peeke, in attempting to clear the puck, instead swept it straight into his own net.

The Blue Jackets answered, cutting the deficit to 2-1 when Patrik Laine's shot was deflected by defenseman Noah Hanifin, but the puck bounced directly to Boqvist, who snapped it past Vladar.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Good Post 1

Toffoli is exactly what Calgary needs which is depth on right side, nevermind he scored first game back, Toffoli on the third line makes Calgary just as deep as any other team - even against Las Vegas with Eichel back, Calgary is looking good, Calgary is a major threat now.

Plus, Toffoli is already a Sutter Boy from before winning 2 Cups with Sutter - he perfect fit in Calgary, gonna half to look at the Calgary futures markets closer now haha🔥🔥🔥

• Like 1

Lindholm, Flames extend streaks in 6-2 win over Ducks

Game # 47

Flames 6 ducks 2

By AP
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Elias Lindholm scored twice and added an assist, extending his goal streak to six games as the Calgary Flames beat the Anaheim Ducks 6-2 on Wednesday night for their eighth straight victory.

For the Pacific Division-leading Flames, it’s their longest winning streak since rattling off 10 in a row in 2016-17, which is tied for the franchise record. They’ve outscored their opponents 37-13 during the streak.

“It feels good,” said Lindholm, who has seven goals and six assists during an eight-game point streak. “Obviously when you’re winning, it’s easier to come to the rink. You’re having fun and everything seems easy.”

Dillon Dube, Andrew Mangiapane, Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk also scored for Calgary (28-13-6). Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson had a career-best three points with three assists.

Gaudreau, who had two assists, also pushed his point streak to eight games.

Lindholm took a double minor for high-sticking in the opening minute.

“It’s tough to go in the box for four minutes, but the guys did an awesome job,” he said. “Obviously, if they score on there, it’s a different game. But now we got some momentum out of it, so that was good.”

Adding to that early challenge was that Lindholm is one of the club’s primary penalty killers.

“Our killers did an awesome job,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “That’s for sure the difference in the game. They’re a fresh team and we’re not coming into the night, so the lead is really important in a game like tonight.”

The Flames have also won eight in a row at home, outscoring visitors 41-10. Their seven-game homestand continues Saturday when they host expansion Seattle in Mark Giordano’s return.

“We just play, follow the system, and everyone’s buying in,” Lindholm said. “We just do the same things over and over again and eventually the teams are wearing out and we take over the games.”

Sonny Milano and Isac Lundestrom scored for Anaheim (23-18-9), which opened a three-game trip through Western Canada. It was only the second game this month for the Ducks.

Jacob Markstrom stopped 26 shots for the Flames. He made his 13th start in the last 14 games and improved to 21-10-5.

“That is an excellent hockey team. They’re heavy. They can score. They can hurt you a number of different ways,” Ducks coach Dallas Eakins said.

Anaheim starter John Gibson was replaced by Anthony Stolarz halfway through the second period after giving up four goals on 20 shots. He fell to 15-11-8.

“I’m big on odds and percentages. The chances that we were going to come back were low, so I’d rather have him rested and ready for tomorrow,” Eakins said.

After Milano’s goal 1:35 into the second made it 2-1, Lindholm restored the two-goal cushion on a nifty individual effort. As he skated through the neutral zone, he banked the puck off the side boards in the Ducks zone and then chased after it, stepping around defenseman Greg Pateryn to collect the puck and then quickly put a shot into the top corner.

The Flames made it 4-1 just 41 seconds later when the power play made it two straight conversions on Tkachuk’s 23rd goal.

Calgary finished 2 for 5 on the power play, while its third-ranked penalty kill went 5 for 5.

“I know for me personally, I had a few blocked, maybe forced a pass or two that I didn’t need to,” Ducks defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said. “It just didn’t go in for certain opportunities. I think that’s just frustrating in a game like tonight. We could feel that during the game. Every chance we got a power play was a big chance to maybe get the game back in our hands and we weren’t able to pull through.”

Anaheim got a short-handed goal 4:26 into the third to get back within two, but the Flames scored twice late to finish it off.

• Good Post 1

Game # 48

Flames 2 Kraken 1

Lindholm, Flames beat Kraken 2-1 for 9th straight win

ss_20220219_233317508_18940245_default.j

By AP

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Elias Lindholm scored for the seventh straight game and the Calgary Flames beat the Seattle Kraken 2-1 Saturday night for their ninth consecutive win.

Matthew Tkachuk had a goal and an assist for Calgary, and Jacob Markstrom stopped 22 shots while starting for the 14th time in 15 games. Lindholm, who also had an assist, extended his point streak to nine games with eight goals and seven assists during the stretch.

“A lot of teams got points last night," Lindholm said. "We want to keep the momentum going and get some room, so it was an important win. It was tough, they played tight and it's not a lot of room out there and not a lot of chances. We found a way.”

The Flames are one win away from matching the longest win streak in franchise history.

“I think right now we just want to win,” Markstrom said. “You want to keep winning. I don't think anybody is looking at (the streak), but we want to keep the momentum and keep getting two points. That's the only thing that matters right now.”

Calle Jarnkrok scored for Seattle, which has lost three straight. Philipp Grubauer finished with 35 saves.

“We came here to win a hockey game and we didn't do that,” Kraken coach Dave Hakstol said. “So, the result isn't what we want. Competitively there's some good pieces in our game today but we came up short.”

Lindholm put the Flames ahead at 7:31 of the third period as he corralled the rebound off a shot by Chris Tanev in the slot, spun and sent a wrist shot just inside the goal post on Grubauer’s blocker side.

It was his 22nd of the season and came after Grubauer had made 32 saves in a row, bouncing back spectacularly after giving up a goal on the first shot he faced.

Markstrom's best save came four minutes into the second period when he slid across the crease with an old fashioned stacking of the pads to rob Jordan Eberle after he had been set up on a two-on-one by Alex Wennberg.

“We obviously had the majority of the shots and majority of the chances,” Markstrom said. “They had a few chances, not too many, but just to keep the scoreboard lower on my side than the other side, at the end of the day that's what it comes down to. ... It's tough to play against these guys. They don't give a lot of room and they play the stretch passes and try to create scoring chances that way. You have to be mentally ready.”

In keeping the score 1-1, Grubauer stretched out his pad late in the first to rob Flames leading goal scorer Andrew Mangiapane on a one-timer. He then stopped Mangiapane on another dangerous chance six minutes into the second, this time thrusting out his blocker to get a piece of the puck.

“He did a real good job tonight. He was solid from the word go,” Hakstol said of Grubauer. “He made some big saves at good times, which you need on the road against a good team.”

Grubauer also got some help from defenseman Adam Larsson five minutes into the third. Johnny Gaudreau’s shot from 10 feet out with the net vacant was blocked by Larsson, who stuck out his leg to rob the Flames’ leading scorer.

Coming into the night, Calgary had won five games in a row by three or more goals for the first time in franchise history. The Flames had outscored teams 37-13 over that stretch.

“This is a good league, any team can beat anyone out there,” Lindholm said. “We were on a roll there, won with a couple of goals but the reality is you're not going to do that every night. It's going to be nights like this where you have to find a way and keep grinding, and when the chances come you have to put them in. Today we did.”

Calgary opened the scoring for the 31st time at 3:02 of the first period when Lindholm centered a pass to Tkachuk, cruising through the slot, before he beat Grubauer high on the glove side for his 24th.

Seattle tied it with 7:34 remaining in the period, taking advantage of a blunder by defenseman Noah Hanifin. Getting the puck behind the net and facing the boards, Hanifin blindly sent the puck into his own slot where there the only player there was Jarnkrok who quickly whipped a shot past a surprised Markstrom.

• Good Post 1

• Game # 49

Flames 3 Jets 1

Flames beat Jets to match franchise-best 10-game winning streak

Elias Lindholm's go-ahead goal with 46 seconds remaining extended his goal streak to eight games as the Calgary Flames tied a franchise record with their 10th consecutive victory, winning 3-1 over the Winnipeg Jets.

CALGARY — Elias Lindholm's go-ahead goal with 46 seconds remaining extended his goal streak to eight games as the Calgary Flames tied a franchise record with their 10th consecutive victory, winning 3-1 over the Winnipeg Jets.

Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli, into an empty net, also scored for Calgary (30-13-6), which wrapped up a perfect seven-game homestand. The Flames play in Vancouver on Thursday.

The 10-game winning streak ties a franchise record. It was done on two occasions, the last time was in 2016-17 with the streak beginning five years ago to this day. The other time was in 1978-79 when the franchise was still in Atlanta.

Dominic Toninato scored for Winnipeg (22-20-8). The Jets were opening up a four-game road trip that continues in Dallas on Wednesday.

Jacob Markstrom got the start for Calgary, making 22 stops to improve to 23-10-5.

Connor Hellebuyck had 28 saves for Winnipeg. His record falls to 17-18-7.

After winning five games in a row by three-or-more goals, the last two outings have been hard-fought defensive struggles. Calgary got a third period goal to win 2-1 over Seattle on Saturday. It was a similar script on Monday afternoon.

On the go-ahead goal, Johnny Gaudreau sent a shot towards the net that Lindholm got his stick on, the puck changing directions and eluding Hellebuyck.

Lindholm has been the hottest Flames player during the streak with a team-best 16 points. He now shares the record for consecutive games with a goal with Kent Nilsson and Gary Roberts. He also extends his point streak to 10 games (nine goals, seven assists).

It looked like he had a goal in the second period. At 11:36 with the score 1-1, Lindholm knocked in a pass from Tkachuk. However, the Jets challenged for offside and, upon video review, the goal was overturned with Lindholm crossing the blue line just ahead of the puck being carried in by Oliver Kylington.

After a scoreless first period in which neither team generated much, the Flames opened the scoring 1:07 into the second on the power play. Monahan got the puck from Andrew Mangiapane and put a wrist shot over Hellebuyck's shoulder from 20 feet out.

The Jets tied it at 7:49 with Toninato deflecting in mid-air Neal Pionk's point shot.

It was another solid game for Calgary's third-ranked penalty kill. They've only surrendered one power play goal in the last 10 games going 24-for-25 over that stretch.

The Jets got two man-advantages in the opening five minutes of game, but squandered both. They then had another chance to go ahead late in the third.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

🔥🔥🔥SUTTER BOYS F YEAH🔥🔥🔥

I'll be honest....was not a fan when they brought him back, thought retread right away. But he seems to have pushed all the right buttons in almost every one of his guys, so....all good.

• Like 1

Game # 50 

Flames 1 Nucks 7

Vancouver routs Calgary 7-1, ends Flames' 10-game win streak

dm_220224_Bo_Horvat_scores_two_goals_in_

By AP

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- — J.T. Miller scored on a penalty shot and finished with two goals and two assists as the Vancouver Canucks beat Calgary 7-1 Thursday night, snapping the Flames’ 10-game winning streak.

“We just set a standard for ourselves for the rest of the year. And that’s not by winning by six goals, but it’s playing the right way, being sharp on the special teams, being ready to start the game,” Miller said after the fourth four-point performance of his career.

“We have a standard. We need to play to that from here on out. We shouldn’t be satisfied with anything other than that, really.”

Elias Pettersson had two goals and an assist, Bo Horvat scored twice and Conor Garland added a goal for Vancouver. Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser, who was playing in his 300th career game, each had two assists. Thatcher Demko made 29 saves for Vancouver.

Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau didn’t see the lopsided result coming.

“We’ll take it,” he said. “It certainly doesn’t happen often when you’re playing such a good hockey team. but everything seemed to be going right for us.”

Andrew Mangiapane scored for the Flames, who had outscored their opponents 43-14 during their win streak. Jacob Markstrom made 18 saves against his former team before being replaced in the third period due to an equipment issue. Dan Vladar stopped 13 of 16 shots in relief.

“You throw that out,” Flames center Blake Coleman said. “You’re not gonna win 82 games in a season, as much as you’d like to. Good teams get beat and good teams have had bad nights, but to be a good team you got to respond and be able to learn from these games versus get stuck in a rut.

“We had won 10 in a row for a reason. We’re a really good hockey team and this is part of the growth of our group is being able to respond after what I view as an embarrassing loss and put together good game at home.”

Mangiapane ruined Demko’s shutout with just over two minutes left, picking off an errant pass in the neutral zone and putting a wraparound shot into the net or his 26th goal of the season.

• Good Post 1

Game # 51

Flames 7 Wild 3

Tkachuk, Toffoli lead Flames to 7-3 win over Wild

By AP

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Matthew Tkachuk and Tyler Toffoli each had two goals and an assist, and the Calgary Flames beat the Minnesota Wild 7-3 Saturday night.

Blake Coleman had a goal and an assist, and Erik Gudbranson and Andrew Mangiapane also scored to help Calgary bounce back from a 7-1 loss at Vancouver on Thursday night that snapped a 10-game winning streak.

The Flames have won 11 straight at home, tying the franchise record set in the 2015-16 season.

“We stuck with it, tried to stick to the game plan,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said.

Jacob Markstrom stopped 22 shots to improve to 24-11-5 this season.

Calgary fell behind less than two minutes into the game, then scored three in the first period and two in the second to take a 5-1 lead after 40 minutes.

“We just wanted to come out and have a good start,” Tkachuk said. “Not the most ideal start giving up one in the first couple of minutes.

Bounced back, ended up winning the first period, ended up winning the second period. When you win the first two periods, it sets you up for the third."

Frederick Gaudreau, Nick Bjugstad and Kirill Kaprizov scored for Minnesota, which has lost three straight and five of six. Kaapo Kahkonen finished with 28 saves.

“We were embarrassed tonight,” Wild coach Dean Evason said. “Everybody, all of us, were embarrassed tonight. There wasn’t one area of our game that was good. ... They just outplayed us, outclassed us in every area of the hockey game.”

The Wild scored twice in the third to pull within two. Bjugstad skated in and scored off a pass from Matt Boldy on a rush with 6:35 remaining and Kaprizov beat Markstrom from the left circle just 70 seconds later.

Tkachuk, playing in his 400th career game, got his second of the night, an empty-netter from beyond the blue line, to push Calgary's lead to 6-3 with 1:54 left. Toffoli added another empty-netter in the final minute.

“Obviously we let up there in the third a little bit,” Toffoli said. “But we responded well and that's a big win for us.”

Gaudreau gave the Wild a 1-0 lead on a tip-in at 1:36 of the first period.

Calgary then scored five straight goals to take control. Toffoli tied it from the right circle with 9 1/2 minutes to go in the opening period, Tkachuk put the Flames ahead for good on a power-play goal 1:20 later, and Gudbranson's one-timer from the point made it 3-1 with 2:18 remaining in the period.

Mangiapane scored off a rebound from the left side for his team-leading 27th of the season with 3:36 left in the second.

Coleman's short-handed goal on a breakaway with 51 seconds remaining in the period pushed the lead to 5-1.

• Good Post 1

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Embarassed by the lack of compete here. Hopefully the Wild eventually gets better in accepting the need to win the 50/50 pucks.

Minnesota did seem off, Calgary controlled the first 2 period easily, sorta like how Calgary was off against Vancouver the other night - maybe it's contagious and Calgary passed it off to the Wild haha, anyways hopefully the Wild get back to form but only after the Tuesday game with Calgary haha😉

Edited by Villella McMeans

Game # 52

Flames 5 Wild 1

Red-hot Flames take down Wild again 5-1 for 12th win in 13

By AP
6 hours ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Matthew Tkachuk scored 72 seconds into the game and the streaking Calgary Flames beat Minnesota 5-1 on Tuesday night for their second consecutive victory over the Wild.

Andrew Mangiapane, Elias Lindholm, Tyler Toffoli and Mikael Backlund also scored for the Flames, who have won 12 of 13. Johnny Gaudreau had two assists to add to his team-leading point total.

Jacob Markstrom made 32 saves for the win. He was also in net when Calgary routed the Wild 7-3 at home on Saturday.

“We knew they were going to come out strong tonight,” Mangiapane said. "Obviously they’re a good team. We just had to worry about ourselves and be prepared and build off our game.”

Minnesota coach Dean Evason said his team was “embarrassed” on Saturday, but the Wild were unable to respond. Their losing streak reached four games, including two straight to the Flames.

“Every team goes through something like this. You just have to get out of it," captain Jared Spurgeon said. "We’re sticking together in there and the only way to do it is together."

Tkachuk, who scored twice against Minnesota on Saturday, opened the scoring for the high-powered Calgary offense. The winger beat goalie Cam Talbot just 1:12 into the first period for his 27th goal of the season.

After Tkachuk tied him for the team lead in goals earlier in the period, Mangiapane regained his lead when he beat Talbot for his 28th. Mangiapane corralled a bouncing puck in front and buried it for a 2-0 lead.

Marcus Foligno put Minnesota on the board in the second period, but Calgary wasted no time answering. Lindholm fired a one-timer from the slot to make it 3-1 just 21 seconds after Foligno’s goal.

It was the timeliness of the goals that proved big for Calgary. Tkachuk's goal in the first two minutes set the tone. Lindholm's response to Foligno's goal squashed any momentum for the Wild and cut the home fans' celebration short.

“It is deflating for sure and usually when a road team does it to a home team it can take the wind out of the sails a little bit," Foligno said.

Toffoli netted his 14th only 33 seconds into the third with a power-play goal to make it 4-1 when he redirected a shot from Gaudreau.

Talbot stopped 22 shots for the Wild, who outshot the Flames 33-27.

Two of Calgary's goals came on the power play. Minnesota, meanwhile, went 0 for 5 with the man advantage.

“Our power play has been real good but it needs to score goals and these were playoff-atmosphere games,” Evason said.

Minnesota pulled Talbot with five minutes remaining. Backlund added an empty-netter with 2:30 to play.

Calgary's two four-goal wins over the Wild have helped erase the sting of an unusual 7-1 loss to Vancouver last week, the only blip in the last 13 games for the Flames.

“It’s good to find ways to regroup and beat a good team twice," Lindholm said. “It’s a very good team, so it’s fun.”

The Flames have scored four or more goals nine times in the last 12 games.

• Good Post 1

Game # 53

Flames 4 Habs 5 OT

Ben Chiarot scores in OT, Canadiens beat Flames 5-4

By AP
Updated: 4 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Ben Chiarot scored his second goal of the game 1:03 into overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 5-4 victory over the Calgary Flames on Thursday night.

“That’s a big one, beating a team like that,” Chiarot said. “They’re at the top of the standings and you can see why.

“That’s a big one for the confidence of the team, knowing we can play with anybody.”

Jeff Petry, Nick Suzuki and Mike Hoffman also scored for Montreal and Andrew Hammond made 30 saves.

Last in the Eastern Conference, the Canadiens improved to 6-4 since Martin St. Louis replaced Dominique Ducharme as coach Feb. 9.

“Marty comes in and he gets the guys motivated to play,” Chiarot said. “Every meeting grabs your attention and it’s meaningful and it just gets the guys engaged.

“Marty has been a big factor in just the whole mood of the room changing.”

Pacific Division leading Calgary missed a chance to set a franchise record of 12 consecutive home victories.

“Penalties, turnovers, cost you hockey games,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. ”We’re lucky to get a point. Take that many penalties. Top guys turn pucks over. Too many goals.”

Blake Coleman, Johnny Gaudreau, Andrew Mangiapane and Elias Lindholm scored for the Flames. Jacob Markstrom made 30 saves.

Hoffman gave Montreal at 4-3 lead with 2:45 left, beating Markstrom to the far side with a wrist shot. Lindholm tied it with 28 seconds remaining with Markstrom off for an extra attacker.

With Alberta’s lifting of COVID-19 restrictions Tuesday, there were no capacity limits or mask requirements Thursday. Attendance had been capped at 50% since Dec. 21,

• Good Post 1

Very very disappointed that Calgary allowed Montreal to win after leading throughout the game...Markstrom even though playing good should have made those saves, and on the overtime goal Charot the 2nd guy in should have been covered...overall very disappointed Calgary could on hold Montreal off and win...☹️

Game # 54

Flames 4 Avs 3 OT

Gaudreau scores 37 seconds into OT, Flames beat Avs 4-3

By AP

DENVER -- — Johnny Gaudreau ended what had all the feel of a playoff game with a breakaway goal early in overtime.

Coming up clutch in OT? He’s certainly no stranger to that.

The Calgary forward scored 37 seconds into the extra period, Elias Lindholm had two goals and the red-hot Flames beat the Colorado Avalanche 4-3 on Saturday night in a matchup between two of the Western Conference’s top teams.

Gaudreau took a pass off the boards from Lindholm and was off to the races, beating Pavel Francouz to the glove side for the winner. It was Gaudreau's 11th career OT goal, which ties Sean Monahan for the most in Flames history.

“It was a tight game, and we found a way," Gaudreau said.

Erik Gudbranson added a goal for a Calgary team that is 13-1-1 over its last 15 games. This marked the first time this season these two teams that lead their respective divisions have squared off. But they will be well-acquainted by the end of this month as they meet three times.

“It was a big game for us,” Gaudreau said. “We played a real good team tonight.”

Dan Vladar finished with 33 saves, including a point-blank shot from Nazem Kadri late in the third period.

“He doesn’t play all the time but when he gets his opportunity to go into the net, he makes the most of it,” Gaudreau said. “He helps us win games, stops the puck and he’s just a real good goaltender.”

Gabriel Landeskog, Andre Burakovsky and Nathan MacKinnon scored for Colorado, which lost a rare home game. The team is 21-1-2 over its last 24 games at Ball Arena. Francouz made 21 saves as he took over for Darcy Kuemper, pulled early in the second period after allowing three goals.

Trailing 3-2 early in the second following Gudbranson's goal, Colorado tried to generate a spark by making a change in net. Kurtis MacDermid also attempted to light a fire by picking a fight with Milan Lucic.

Nothing worked as well for Colorado as this: Cale Makar stopping a rush by sliding in front of the play. He then got up from behind his goal, skated the puck down the ice and dished it off to set up MacKinnon's score to tie it at 3.

It was the 11th straight game in which Makar has recorded an assist. The only defensemen in NHL history with longer streaks are Paul Coffey (17 games, 1985-86), Brian Leetch (15 games, ‘91-92), Phil Housley (14 games, ’92-93) and Bobby Orr (14 games, '70-71), according to NHL Stats.

The opening period was a high-scoring, back-and-forth affair, with Landeskog getting things started by knocking in a goal 42 seconds into the game. With that, he reached the 30-goal mark for the second time in his career (34 in 2018-19).

The lead didn't last long as Lindholm tied it on a power play less than two minutes later. Colorado took a 2-1 lead on Burakovsky's power-play goal, but that advantage was erased even quicker when Lindholm scored again just 1:06 later.

“They’re a real good test for our team,” Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said. “It’s what our team needs. That was a playoff-type hockey game.”

Colorado entered off a loss in Arizona. The Avalanche still haven't dropped back-to-back games in regulation since October.

“You’ve got to find a way to bounce back,” Bednar said. “You don’t want losses stringing together. If you want to finish at the top of the standings, you can’t have that.”

• Good Post 1

Game # 55

Flames 3 EDM 1

Toffoli scores twice, leads Calgary to 3-1 win over Edmonton

By AP

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Tyler Toffoli had two goals to lead the Calgary Flames to a 3-1 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Monday night.

Johnny Gaudreau added a goal and an assist for the Flames (34-14-7), who remained atop the Pacific Division with their 14th win in 16 games. Jacob Markstrom stopped 27 of 28 shots in front of a season-high 17,246 at the Saddledome.

The NHL’s coleaders in points — Edmonton’s Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid — were held scoreless.

“You can’t expect Brad Malone to come in here and score three goals tonight, right?” Draisaitl said. “That’s our job. That’s on Connor, that’s on me, that’s on the top guys that are getting paid to create. Probably didn’t do enough of that tonight.”

Devin Shore scored for Edmonton, and Mikko Koskinen had 26 saves in the first instalment of the Battle of Alberta. The Oilers beat the visiting Flames 5-2 on Oct. 16 and 5-2 on Jan. 22. The regular-season series concludes March 26 in Calgary.

Edmonton (30-23-4) remained two points out of a wild-card spot in the Western Conference. The Oilers dropped to 7-5-1 since Jay Woodcroft took over as head coach for the fired Dave Tippett on Feb. 10.

After a scoreless first period, Calgary took a 2-0 lead on two goals by Toffoli in the second period.

Toffoli scored his sixth and seventh goals for Calgary since becoming a member of the Flames.

“I was definitely excited, not only because of that, but the way the standings are,” he said. “It was just a just a really important game for us.

“I thought we did a good job of containing their top guys. Marky made some big saves at the right time. I thought we just did a really good job overall and not really letting them get to their game as much as they probably wanted to.”

Shore cut the deficit to a goal at 4:57 of the third period. Gaudreau scored on a partial breakaway with just under three minutes remaining to restore Calgary’s two-goal cushion.

Edmonton's goal came after the puck deflected off referee Dan O’Rourke’s leg to Derek Ryan, whose pass then bounced off the leg of Flames’ defenseman Nikita Zadorov to Shore, who scored.

“We played a solid game I think, but you’re not going to win many games when you score one goal,” Draisaitl said. “I don’t think it’s ever a question of competing or battle level. We’re playing our hearts out.”

Toffoli collected his sixth and seventh goals for the Flames since he was acquired from the Montreal Canadiens in a Feb. 14 trade. He took a backhand feed from Adam Ruzicka and sent a wrist shot far side on Koskinen at 9:54 of the second period. He scored on a power play at 6:37.

“We didn’t have to block a lot of shots tonight,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “We put a lot of pressure on them in key areas. Entering the zone, they didn’t get much entry time or zone time, to be quite honest.”

• Good Post 1

Flames management should be handing out free baseball headgear tonight emblazoned with the words:

CONFUSE-A-CAP

You see, the lads aren’t quite sure why they’re there.  This marks only the 3rd time in 20 seasons that they’ve visited Western Canada in other than late October.  Why, Washingtonians have for years been spurred to pull out the rakes for the first big fall leaf cleanup upon seeing in the Post that the Capitals are set to play in Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver.  

And, having been sitting around since the glorious victory over the expansion team on Saturday night, the boys have gotten pulled into The Brier on TSN and will be constantly wondering whether McEwen can pull even with Gushue tonight.  Hell, one or two might just go AWOL and drive down to Lethbridge for the live action.

And sadly, we can’t discount how much seeing their unhinged government waging insanity is affecting the four key Russians in the lineup.

So, no matter that Calgary battled rivals Edmonton last night.  In this Alberta visit, it is time for the home team to

CONFUSE-A-CAP !!

Game # 56

Flames 4 Caps 5

Caps' Ovechkin ties Jagr for 3rd on NHL career goals list

ss_20220308_234513326_191068332_default.

By AP
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Alex Ovechkin scored twice and moved into a tie for third place on the NHL's career goals list, and Nic Dowd scored the go-ahead goal as the Washington Capitals rallied in the third period and beat the Calgary Flames 5-4 on Tuesday night.

Ovechkin’s second goal, into an empty net at 18:12 of the third that gave Washington a 5-3 lead, was his 766th career goal, tying him with Jaromir Jagr for third place in NHL history. Wayne Gretzky leads the list with 894 goals, and Gordie Howe is second with 801.

“Obviously, it’s always nice to hear those kind of milestones, numbers,” Ovechkin said. “It’s pretty big, obviously, and how I always said, being with those names and in this company, it’s a pretty cool moment.”

The 36-yeaer-old Ovechkin has 36 goals this season and has scored in three straight games.

“I think guys are just excited for him,” said Washington coach Peter Laviolette. “We don’t talk about it much. I think everybody knows what’s going on and it’s awesome to be a part of.”

Connor Sheary and Anthony Mantha also scored for Washington (31-18-9), which won its third straight. Vitek Vanecek made 31 saves and improved to 13-7-5.

Adam Ruzicka, Oliver Kylington and Elias Lindholm scored for Calgary (34-15-7), which had its 13-game unbeaten streak snapped on home ice. The Pacific Division-leading Flames fall to 14-2-1 in their last 17 games overall. Dan Vladar, starting for the second time in three games with Jacob Markstrom getting a night off, had 22 saves and fell to 8-4-1.

After Lindholm’s second goal with 40 seconds left got Calgary within one, Ovechkin had a chance for a hat trick in the waning seconds, but his shot at the empty net was deflected by Lindholm.

“I was hoping so, but it hit his skates. It’s OK. I’ll take it tomorrow,” Ovechkin said.

Dowd thought he and his teammates were about to witness history.

“I couldn’t believe that one got blocked at the end, but it was awesome,” Dowd said. “Obviously, we’re super excited for him and guys are trying to find him all over the ice and just to be a part of it and simply watch it, he’s the best. So really happy for him.”

Washington faces the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday night in the second stop of its three-game Western Canada road trip.

One night after the Flames showed their support for Ukraine by having Ukrainian-Canadian opera singer Stephania Romaniuk sing the Ukrainian anthem prior to Calgary’s game with the Oilers, a portion of the Saddledome crowd of 15,628, booed Ovechkin whenever he touched the puck, especially early in the game.

Ovechkin has historically been a vocal supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and the Capitals’ captain’s Instagram account features a photo of him standing beside Putin. A picture of the two is also Ovechkin’s Instagram profile photo.

After the game, Ovechkin spoke only about the contest.

Tied 2-2 after 40 minutes, Calgary took its second lead of the game at 3:45 when Kylington’s slap shot deflected off Connor McMichael’s stick and got past Vanecek.

But the Capitals tied it at 8:21 on Mantha’s goal and took the lead just over three minutes later.

Getting the puck at the sideboards, Dowd made a nice cut to sidestep Lindholm, then from the face-off dot, ripped a shot into the top corner for his eighth goal and first in 10 games.

“We have a veteran team, so we’ve been there before,” Dowd said. “But that was one of the first game this year where we’ve been down a goal, we stuck with it in a tough building against a good team in their building, and did all the little things right, and we got rewarded for it at the end.”

The Capitals also trailed 2-0 in the second, but stormed back to tie it.

McMichael was stopped on a sharp pad save by Vladar, but Milan Lucic bobbled the rebound into the slot where Sheary buried his fourth goal in as many games. Sheary has a four-game point streak (four goals, two assists).

The Capitals pulled even at 13:23 on another turnover. Sean Monahan, in front of his own net, lost the puck to Evgeny Kuznetsov and the puck went right to Ovechkin, who beat Vladar.

“He has a good shot. I think he does pretty much the same thing all the time, but when he gets his chance he capitalizes,” Kylington said. “I think that’s special with him. A player like him, you have to play him tight. You have to minimize space for him out there and just be on top of him all the time.”

Calgary took the lead halfway through the first period on a 2-on-1 when Lindholm took a pass from Johnny Gaudreau and netted his 28th.

Ruzicka made it 2-0 at 8:54 of the second.

Game notes

The Capitals are 20-3-4 when Ovechkin scores. ... It was the 1,000th game Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom played together. They are the first set of Capitals teammates to reach that milestone. Los Angeles’ Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar are the only other active duo to accomplish the feat. ...

• Good Post 1