Metro Division Decision

Icechipper

P.J. Subban just made the Mean Metro more interesting. And dangerous. His slew-foot on Ranger Danger Ryan Reaves earns him a queasy stomach for all trips to Madison Square Garden this season.

I am certain Subban feels terrible. But this was not some accident, ice conditions be damned. Yeah, he'd take it back if he could, but he clearly did the deed.

Edited by Icechipper
Missing word

Every time I'm trying to list the team, I arrive at the #6 spot and realize "oh damn, I forgot them".

The toughest division to predict for the most competitive. Devils and Columbus may not be ready yet to go back in the postseason but all other teams have a legitimate shot to clinch. Isles are still the Isles, WSH and PIT are getting old and closer to the cycle end but remain top teams, NYR is the most improved team IMO. CAR are still in contention but their moves were horrible. It's hard to rank Philly, but I do think that Atkinson >> Voracek.  No choice but a very strong and good team will deceive and be out of the playoffs.

1. NY Islanders

2. Washington

3. Carolina

4. Philadelphia

5. NY Rangers

6. Pittsburgh

7. New Jersey

8. Columbus

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a head scratcher for you:

How is it possible for the NHL to have a division, albeit early in the season, in which all 8 teams have a winning record?🤔

Shocker talkers: Pittsburgh perseveres while hotshot Isles off to slow start.

Wild watch:

# 16 Jason Zucker, Pittsburgh (29), 2 goals 1 assist.

#11 Zach Parise, Islanders (37), no points on season.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Ten games in and all Metro teams sport winning records. This new math is confusing.🤔

I suspect this division will remain competitive with each other all year long, though honestly, outside of Washington and the NYI, MAYBE Carolina if they are for real start to finish, I don't see other Cup contenders this year in it.

And of course, with teams playing more games within their division as opposed to others, we will eventually see the shake out where the above .500's separate themselves distinctly from the below .500's.

Pittsburgh, to me is the ultimate wild card in this division. I want to say they will be right there, then see their roster, see their injury and/or Covid issues, watch their play, then think, "Nah...these guys aren't gonna make it".
But lo and behold, they get bodies back, they start going on streaks, and they absolutely look like they could beat anyone!
So I really don't know where to place them.

I still think NJ and Columbus end up near the bottom (Merzlikins has been great for the Jackets though!), and who knows how Philly or the Rangers end up....there are arguments for both being at least playoff bound, and arguments to why they may still miss.

Division certainly isn't boring with regards to competitiveness though. That is for certain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This just in. We have a team with a sub-.500 record in the Mighty Metro and it's none other than the New York Islanders.

Yes, the team I picked to top this division is in a spiral.

Minnesota ties: leading scorer Brock Nelson out. Bellows with Covid. Parise with 3 assists. Anders Lee 4 goals. Cal Carwreck Clutterbuck 2 assists.

On the 🌞 bright side, they are back on Long Island in new rink!

On 11/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, Icechipper said:

This just in. We have a team with a sub-.500 record in the Mighty Metro and it's none other than the New York Islanders.

Yes, the team I picked to top this division is in a spiral.

Minnesota ties: leading scorer Brock Nelson out. Bellows with Covid. Parise with 3 assists. Anders Lee 4 goals. Cal Carwreck Clutterbuck 2 assists.

On the 🌞 bright side, they are back on Long Island in new rink!

I know what you mean.
I too had the Islanders near the top, if not at THE top, of the division pre-season.

I mean, after doing what they did the last two playoff seasons losing only to the eventual champions, plus their usually hard nosed style, younger players making good strides, and returning with mostly the same roster intact, one can't be blamed for thinking they'd be at the very least, a top three Metro team, maybe top three in the Eastern Conference.

Excruciating opening road trip, Covid, injuries, and slow starts by some guys have all conspired, in what looks like a "perfect storm", to keep the Isles in the basement.

Fortunately for them, the season is long, and we aren't quite even at the quarter pole mark. Plus, the Isles seem to have at least 3 or 4 games in hand against the rest of their division, so they have time to sort this out as all those things mentioned working against them can be remedied:
--Their schedule won't be as road heavy moving forward
--Guys won't be in Covid protocols forever
--They don't seem to have season ending injuries to key guys
--Eventually, their slow starters (Palmieri, Pageau, Barzal, Varlamov for example) will get their traction.

Problem, of course, is WHERE will they be when things start going right because the rest of the division won't be waiting on them.
Will they be too far back to get back into playoff position even with good runs?
And some teams, like the Hurricanes and Capitals, may also lay claim to positions and be almost locks to get into the playoffs, further paring down the amount of playoff slots available.

If there is any truth to "Barry Trotz teams never quit", then all this adversity will put that to the test with these guys as they most certainly face an uphill battle the rest of the way.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1