Flyers Hall of Fame 2021/22

radoran

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/paul-holmgren-rick-tocchet-to-be-inducted-into-flyers-hall-of-fame/c-326653210

Tocchet and Holmgren announced as inductees.

It's no secret I'm not the biggest Paul Holmgren fan around here (I like Homer as much as rux likes Voracek, and maybe not even that much), but what is it about his Flyer career that screams "Hall of Fame" worthy?

His one 30 goal season?

His record as head coach being the only post-Cup head coach with a sub-.500 record, starting the worst stretch of hockey in franchise history (the first Flyer coach ever to miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons) until he started the next one as GM?

His record as GM of drafting Crater & Richards, anointing them the future of the franchise, signing them to ridiculous long term contracts, and then trading them away taking a team to the Cup Final and turning it into the worst performing team in organization history? Again?

Oh, wait, he didn't actually draft Crater and Richards.

Apparently the fact that he continually failed upward and is the poster child for the team's over reliance on former players as "the only individual in Flyers history to serve the organization as a player (1975-1984), assistant coach (1985-88), head coach (1988-92), general manager (2006-14) and president (2014-19)."

Seems to be setting the bar awfully low from where I'm sitting.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1