Gaudreau

lynxrattle

I have a hard time understanding why Gaudreau is playing. Having a look at the Wild's stats in graphical form produced this surprise:

gaudrfr93

He's the dullest player in the Wild. Which is a good thing, if you're a defensive forward. They don't score against us when he's on ice. Put him together with Hartman and the two of them might even score as an added bonus.

Of course stats are stats. Based on 25 or something games, based on who Gaudreau has played with. But. The eye test confirms it. I think I have never seen a player as dull as Gaudreau is 😅

Dull is a pretty accurate description.

To my eyes I really don't see Gaudreau do anything, much like Greenway before he was reunited with EEK and Foligno.

I think he is one of the better faceoff guys on the team, but faceoff wins don't neccesarily mean goals scored.

• Like 1

Gaudreau is a strange player.  He seems to have very little want to shoot the puck or do much with it in the offensive zone.  He's always looking to pass it even if he's the one with the best opportunity to shoot the puck.  I wish he was faster.  Yet if he's not playing well defensively, keep him on the 4th line and use him a lot on the penalty kill.  

Pairing offensive minded and erratic Fiala with the super-defensive Gaudreau is understandable from the defensive side of things, and then on the other hand it takes away from the possibility of Fiala learning to drive the offense co-operatively. Gaudreau does not seem interested in taking any risks, even shooting.