What will be the matchups? Most desirable?

Buffalo Rick

To me in the East, Pittsburgh is the team I would want to get in the first round.  One and done.  Florida appears ready to win the East and perhaps the Presidents Cup  if they can find a way to overcome the Avs.  Two points back right now.  My worry about Florida in the playoffs is their defense.   At home they are tough as nails.  But they are an offensive team all the way.  Tonight they play a good Islanders team on the road.  And to me the Islanders are as good as anyone on defense.  Only that horrible 20 games on the road to start the season or however many it was killed them this year. They would have been a tough out.  So the Leafs have balance IMO.  This could be the year they get to the Cup finals?  But what concerns me with them is things like, the Sabres still have their number.  The Sabres have beat them last two that I know.  How I will never know.  But the Leafs have been good when not playing Buffalo.  Tampa has the experience, good on defense, just do not think they have enough firepower but they  are certainly a player. Boston and the hot Capitals also cant be excluded.  Its a tough fight ahead.  The West is not as tough as I believe its down to 3 teams.  Colorado, the clear favorite, Calgary and the St Louis Blues.  Do not sleep on the Blues. They are clicking again at the right time.  I would go with Binnington, even though they have seemed to have alternated the goalie position all year. Husso got rocked the other day and Binnington was solid.  And he has won.  Its a tough 3 way fight in the West and the Blues would be good to avoid Colorado.  If they can.  Calgary has also had trouble with them but have played them tough, losing by a goal often. Calgary to me is better on the road than at home. But a dangerous team.  All things considered Ill say the East comes down to the Leafs, Tampa and either Boston or Wash.  The West, no doubt Colorado or Calgary or the Blues.   I just have no clue what the matchups will be. As nice as it might be to see a team like Florida get there, and they could, they really have no true fan base.  They don't.  A few wagon jumpers due to their success.  But that building has been empty for years.  You would never see that in Buffalo.

• 2 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Stanley Cup Playoffs first-round schedule

Four of eight best-of-7 series begin Monday, rest on Tuesday

Here are the series-by-series schedules for the first round of the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Stanley Cup First Round will consist of eight best-of-7 series.

All times listed are ET and subject to change.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Washington Capitals (WC2)

Tuesday, May 3: Capitals at Panthers, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, SN360, TVA Sports)

Thursday, May 5: Capitals at Panthers, 7:30 p.m. ET (TBS, SN360, TVA Sports)

Saturday, May 7: Panthers at Capitals, 1 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Panthers at Capitals, 7 p.m. ET (TBS, SN1, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Capitals at Panthers, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Panthers at Capitals, Friday, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Capitals at Panthers, TBD

Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3)

Monday, May 2: Lightning at Maple Leafs, 7:30 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)

Wednesday, May 4: Lightning at Maple Leafs, 7:30 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)

Friday, May 6: Maple Leafs at Lightning, 7:30 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Sunday, May 8: Maple Leafs at Lightning, 7 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Tuesday, May 10: Lightning at Maple Leafs, TBD

*Thursday, May 12: Maple Leafs at Lightning, TBD

*Saturday, May 14: Lightning at Maple Leafs, TBD

Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. Boston Bruins (WC1)

Monday, May 2: Bruins at Hurricanes, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN360, TVA Sports)

Wednesday, May 4: Bruins at Hurricanes, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN360, TVA Sports)

Friday, May 6: Hurricanes at Bruins, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, SN360, TVA Sports)

Sunday, May 8: Hurricanes at Bruins, 12:30 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports)

*Tuesday, May 10: Bruins at Hurricanes, TBD

*Thursday, May 12: Hurricanes at Bruins, TBD

*Saturday, May 14: Bruins at Hurricanes, TBD

New York Rangers (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Nashville Predators (WC2)

Tuesday, May 3: Predators at Avalanche, 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN, SNE, SN360 (JIP), TVA Sports)

Thursday, May 5: Predators at Avalanche, 9:30 p.m. ET (TNT, SNE, SN360 (JIP), TVA Sports)

Saturday, May 7: Avalanche at Predators, 4:30 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Avalanche at Predators, 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN1, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Predators at Avalanche, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Avalanche at Predators, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Predators at Avalanche, TBD

Minnesota Wild (C2) vs. St. Louis Blues (C3)

Monday, May 2: Blues at Wild, 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN360, TVA Sports)

Wednesday, May 4: Blues at Wild, 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN360, TVA Sports)

Friday, May 6: Wild at Blues, 9:30 p.m. ET (TNT, SN360, TVA Sports)

Sunday, May 8: Wild at Blues, 4:30 p.m. ET (TBS, SN360, TVA Sports)

*Tuesday, May 10: Blues at Wild, TBD

*Thursday, May 12: Wild at Blues, TBD

*Saturday, May 14: Blues at Wild, TBD

Calgary Flames (P1) vs. Dallas Stars (WC1)

Tuesday, May 3: Stars at Flames, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)

Thursday, May 5: Stars at Flames, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, TBS)

Saturday, May 7: Flames at Stars, 9:30 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Flames at Stars, 9:30 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Stars at Flames, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Flames at Stars, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Stars at Flames, TBD

Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Monday, May 2: Kings at Oilers, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)

Wednesday, May 4: Kings at Oilers, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)

Friday, May 6: Oilers at Kings, 10 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Sunday, May 8: Oilers at Kings, 10 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Tuesday, May 10: Kings at Oilers, TBD

*Thursday, May 12: Oilers at Kings, TBD

*Saturday, May 14: Kings at Oilers, TBD

* if necessary TBD - To Be Determined

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-round-1-schedule/c-280159064

I think all Stanley Cup Playoff matches are desirable because you really never know what to expect. The intensity is always at its highest and the crowds are just going nuts.  The match ups I think will provide the most suspense will be the Bruins/Hurricanes, Wild/Blues, and Lightning/Leafs. 

The way the series are playing out so far with the exception of the Colorado and Nashville series all the series look pretty desirable to me. There is a chance heading into tonight's match ups that all the games other than the COL/NAS series will be tied 2-2 at the end of 4 games. You couldn't ask for any tighter series than that. 

For me the most desirable though is the TOR/TB series not only because I am a Leafs fan, but also looking at this series it has a lot riding on it. The Leafs of course want to get this series win and get the playoff jinx out of their heads. While the Lightning want to move on and continue their quest for their 3rd cup in a row. This series is also very tight and most likely will go to game 7. 

• Like 1