Jump to content

Stamkos becomes the all time franchise leader in points


Recommended Posts

Steven Stamkos becomes Tampa Bay Lightning's scoring leader with 954th point

TAMPA, Fla. -- Steven Stamkos scored his 34th goal of the season and became Tampa Bay's all-time scoring leader as the Lightning beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 8-1 on Thursday night.

Stamkos, the first overall pick in the 2008 draft, fired a one-timer from the left circle off a feed from Nikita Kucherov for the record-breaking 954th point of his career. He moved past Martin St. Louis, who had 365 goals and 588 assists with the Lightning.

 

A congratulatory video was shown on the scoreboard, narrated by St. Louis.

 

"To do it at home against the team that I grew up idolizing,'' said Stamkos, who is from Markham, Ontario. "Then having, [Kucherov] and [Victor Hedman] assist on a one-time shot. Then my parents were here and my wife was here ... to do it at home.

 

Then to have Marty come out and do that. I mean, I don't really think of myself as an emotional guy, but that really hit me. It was just an amazing, amazing experience.''

 

Stamkos, who added two assists, has 473 goals and 483 assists in 917 career games, all with Tampa Bay.

 

"What an accomplishment, and he's got so much more left in the tank, but, wow,'' Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said. "Anytime you're becoming the franchise leader in an organization that's been around for 30 years and have the guys you're passing are Hall of Famers, it was a great moment.''

 

Kucherov collected career point No. 600 on the Stamkos goal and added his 20th goal of the season. Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat and Ross Colton each finished three points. Colton and Killorn scored twice. Pat Maroon added his 10th of the season for the Lightning, which set a season high in goals scored.

 

Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 36 shots and picked up his first win in seven starts, recording his first victory since April 1 in Chicago.

 

Ilya Mikheyev scored a power-play goal for the Maple Leafs. Erik Kallgren stopped 28 shots for Toronto.

 

Tampa Bay scored four goals in the second period to break the game open after a scoreless first period.

 

Killorn opened the scoring in the second as the Lightning wheeled the puck around the zone from Victor Hedman to Brandon Hagel to Erik Cernak, who sent a shot from along the right boards that Killorn deflected for his 24th of the season at 3:54.

 

Colton scored his 20th of the season to make it 2-0, tapping in a backdoor pass from Nick Paul at 11:37. Stamkos made it 3-0 on the record-breaking goal, with an assist from Kucherov at 12:38. Kucherov finished off the second-period outburst with a power-play goal at 15:07.

 

Palat scored his 17th of the season 1:12 into the third period, deflecting a Mikhail Sergachev pass while Killorn scored his second of the game and the third power-play goal for Tampa Bay, tipping a Stamkos shot past Kallgren at 4:33.

 

Mikhayev ended Vasilevskiy's shutout bid with a power-play goal at 7:45, but with Kyle Clifford ejected from the game due to a match penalty for high sticking Perry, Colton scored his second of the game, tapping in a Palat pass at 8:50. Maroon scored his 10th of the season with 5:49 left.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WTG mi capitán!

Only a matter of time after he retires that #91 goes into the Tampa rafters alongside #4 and #26!

But for now, PLENTY left in the tank of ol Stammer!
He may never see 60 goals in a season again (or even 45-50), but MAN has his overall game improved to the point where he is no longer just a "score or nothing" guy!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a few years back when there were rumors floating around that he was going to be traded. I was like no way. He is like Ovechkin with Washington and Crosby with the Penguins. You cannot trade him. He is a Lightning player for life. Congrats on this accomplishment. 

Edited by Wild Thing
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

I remember a few years back when there were rumors floating around that he was going to be traded. I was like no way. He is like Ovechkin with Washington and Crosby with the Penguins. You cannot trade him. He is a Lightning player for life. Congrats on this accomplishment. 

 

Oh yea....traded.... or....he was going home to Toronto....or "he is declining".... or "the team doesn't really need him".

All the talking heads had their opinion and all their opinions were correct.
Uh huh.

I'd be very surprised if Stamkos DOESN'T finish his career with the Lightning.
I mean, the man took LESS money to stay in Tampa Bay (at 8.5M per on his big contract year) as opposed to going off elsewhere for the 10M or so that was reported being offered...INCLUDING Toronto!

Glad to have him and his overall game remain part of the Lightning.
Hopefully, he will hit more milestones as a member of the team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

Oh yea....traded.... or....he was going home to Toronto....or "he is declining".... or "the team doesn't really need him".

All the talking heads had their opinion and all their opinions were correct.
Uh huh.

I'd be very surprised if Stamkos DOESN'T finish his career with the Lightning.
I mean, the man took LESS money to stay in Tampa Bay (at 8.5M per on his big contract year) as opposed to going off elsewhere for the 10M or so that was reported being offered...INCLUDING Toronto!

Glad to have him and his overall game remain part of the Lightning.
Hopefully, he will hit more milestones as a member of the team.

I see him with the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby staying put their entire career. The only place he might go for his last year is Toronto. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

I see him with the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby staying put their entire career. The only place he might go for his last year is Toronto. 

 

Or Philly...management might make him an long term offer he can't refuse when he should probably retire.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

 

Or Philly...management might make him an long term offer he can't refuse when he should probably retire.

They could have the Geezer Line in Philly if they sign Ovechkin, Crosby, and Stamkos once they all should have retired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

 

Or Philly...management might make him an long term offer he can't refuse when he should probably retire.

 

Pleeeease tell me you aren't suggesting Stamkos VLC's his way to Philly!! :ph34r:

I had to have therapy after seeing VLC wear the O & B and finish his career like he did..... I do NOT wan the same for Stamkos!  ;) 

Damn you, Holmgren! Leave old Stamkos alone, dammit!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wild Thing said:

the Geezer Line in Philly if they sign Ovechkin, Crosby, and Stamkos

Let’s get that in place by 2025.  I’ll work with the League to allow them to play helmetless.  Will encourage their families to allow really looooong hair.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stamkos adding to the franchise points lead with a goal and an assist today.....and the game against the Preds still has a 3rd period to go.

Looking real sharp as he and his Bolts zero in on the playoffs.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With just a trio of games left, Stamkos adds yet even more to his points totals.

With two goals tonight against Columbus, Stammer has hit the 100 point plateau for just the FIRST time in his career. Kinda hard to believe with the skill he has and the linemates he's had over the years.

Even the year he scored 60 goals he didn't hit 100 (came close at 97).
In fact, he has had a number of 90+ point seasons, but never quite hit that triple digit score...... he has now.

And he and his Lightning are cooking real good getting ready for what likely will be the Toronto Maple Leaves® in the post season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 8:51 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

With just a trio of games left, Stamkos adds yet even more to his points totals.

With two goals tonight against Columbus, Stammer has hit the 100 point plateau for just the FIRST time in his career. Kinda hard to believe with the skill he has and the linemates he's had over the years.

Even the year he scored 60 goals he didn't hit 100 (came close at 97).
In fact, he has had a number of 90+ point seasons, but never quite hit that triple digit score...... he has now.

And he and his Lightning are cooking real good getting ready for what likely will be the Toronto Maple Leaves® in the post season.

I had to check his stats and damn if he'd never reached 100 points before. 98 points was the closest he ever got in 2018-19 season until this season. That is crazy to believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...