From The Athletic - Flyers Poll/Survey (Part 7) - Injured Players

pilldoc

The Athletic Flyers Poll/Survey  

19 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most confident and 1 being the least confident), how confident are you that Ryan Ellis will be ready for Game 1 of the regular season and play "at least" reasonably close to his previous level?

• 1 - least confident
    • 5 - most confident
  2. 2. On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most confident and 1 being the least confident), how confident are you that Sean Couturier will be ready for Game 1 of the regular season and play "at least" reasonably close to his previous level?

• 1 - least confident
    • 5 - most confident

The Athletic has a poll/survey running on the State of the Union for the Flyers.  I will be posting some of their questions. 

They listed a lot of questions.  Here is Part 7.

Comment below for these 2 questions only

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.f5251c5f35ea8574461b30a1b1bd98e7.png

We fall in line with everyone else's thinking .........

Fans are definitely taking an “I’ll believe it when I see it,” Doubting Thomas-esque approach to the Ellis injury situation.

That’s not to say most fans have completely lost hope. Fewer than a quarter of the surveyed group gives Ellis’ 2022-23 return at full strength the least likely rating, at 41 percent at 3 or above is a pretty substantial group that is relatively optimistic.

Still, an average rating of 2.30 isn’t great, especially after both Ellis and Fletcher publicly assured the media that all parties were on the same page regarding a treatment plan, and that there was legitimate optimism regarding Ellis’ ability to return to full health. Still, Fletcher left the door open to the possibility that Ellis might not respond as anticipated to even this new treatment strategy, and it’s that acknowledgement — in addition to just general Flyers fan pessimism — that likely keeps this score quite low.

image.png.e55aaf68deb02d9bd6ad7150b8580384.png

Again ...we have similar thoughts ....

They’re far more confident about Couturier’s chances of returning successfully and in full form.

It makes perfect sense. While he has dealt with assorted injuries in the past — and back surgery is concerning for any professional athlete — Couturier was already regularly skating with his teammates by the conclusion of the 2021-22 season, and he expects to have a mostly normal summer of training as well. So 59.7 percent of survey voters rated their confidence level at 4 or 5 that Couturier would return at peak powers, good for an average rating of 3.59 — far higher than the 2.30 confidence rating for Ellis.

The majority of Flyers fans still believe that the best version of Couturier will be back. And my understanding is that the Flyers are of the same mind.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Thanks for doing this @pilldoc

It is an arduous task for sure. 

i was really curious to see the results so when the article posted today I could not wait to post the results as compared to our thoughts on this forum.

Appreciate the kind words… thanks 😊 

• Like 2

1. On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most confident and 1 being the least confident), how confident are you that Ryan Ellis will be ready for Game 1 of the regular season and play "at least" reasonably close to his previous level?

2. On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most confident and 1 being the least confident), how confident are you that Sean Couturier will be ready for Game 1 of the regular season and play "at least" reasonably close to his previous level?

On Ryan Ellis being ready for Game 1 of the regular season, I'd say that is a pretty good possibility. However, STAYING ready, healthy and competing at his normal level is another thing entirely.
So I would go with a 3 on that, middle of the road, because much will depend on how he feels after all the therapies, procedures, or shamans are done with him.
He still has the talent, but will his body co-operate.....that is the multi million dollar question.

I like Coots to be much more ready and staying that way more than Ellis.
Coots was never a blazing speed guy and relied on his technical expertise, his smarts, and his positional play to be effective.
Even if he is slowed down by whatever ailed him this past season, it shouldn't dull his other hockey senses. If he truly is healthy, he should still be a very solid player for the Flyers using his other skills, though he likely gets inserted as the 1C out of necessity, which is NOT his best position for success at this stage of his career.

So I would give Coots a 4 leaning towards the "more confident" to be ready and able.