Carter Hutton, 36, Calls It A Career

hutton.jpg.907dbcdccb53b6c11535378dab37e0f0.jpg

Some career stats....none of the fancy stuff, just the basics:

612564956_carterhutton.thumb.jpg.f745914cc982db1698aa83be5d449b74.jpg

From the Buffalo News:
Former Sabres goalie Carter Hutton announces retirement | Buffalo Sabres News | buffalonews.com

Now, now, @Hockey Junkie , I want you contain yourself, no tears please.....one of your favorites has called it a career...5 yr Blues and Sabres goalie. :ph34r: 

All messing aside, an end to a classic 'career backup' or NHL journeyman goaltender.
Article sites that he had some vision and ankle problems that limited his success after his stints with the Predators and Blues, where he enjoyed his best success numbers-wise.

I believe he was on board with the Blues, under Ken Hitchcock, when they played that super smothering type defense, that made other goalies like Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliot look MUCH better than they actually were.

Hutton's best stats year was his final one in St. Louis posting his 17-7-3 record, and a 2.09 GAA + .931 Sv% to go along with it, which got him a raise when he went over to the Buffalo Sabres the following year.

Seems he really was a product of the team in front of him. Granted, the physical problems sited could have contributed, but it is probably no accident that he did best on better defensive squads like Nashville and St. Louis, than he did on much lesser defense oriented clubs like Buffalo and Arizona after that.

There is nothing in his overall career averages that shout "Elite" or even "Very Good", but he did carve out for himself a decent 235 game NHL career, managing to keep his GAA under 3 and Sv% just over .900 in the best ice hockey league in the world, so that is something many others who toiled away in the minors can never say.
Hey, he even got himself 13 big league shut outs... TWO of them even came WITH the defensively challenged Sabres!

As a player, just another backup type goalie who managed to keep finding work in the NHL and thus won't be missed too much (except HJ who LOVED the guy!  :biggrin: )
As a human being, I wish nothing but the best....good quality of life for himself and his family.

Again, nothing stand out about his career numbers, but the fact that he he played roughly 9 NHL seasons is much more than many other goalies we don't even know about can say!
Good luck in retirement!

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So, what you are saying is, you are willing to discount your Cater Hutton jersey when you put it up on Ebay? :rolleyes:

I have a jersey, dark with no name.  And I have brand new Eichel jersey, number 9 which he had switched to. In plastic, never worn.  No idea what to do? Could wear it I suppose

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

I have a jersey, dark with no name.  And I have brand new Eichel jersey, number 9 which he had switched to. In plastic, never worn.  No idea what to do? Could wear it I suppose

I honestly see no issue with wearing a sweater of a player no longer with an organization (unless it was a player you simply couldn't stand...but then again, if you did, you wouldn't have his sweater, no?)... it is like a badge of loyalty to a team that says, "I've been a fan of this team since THIS guy!".

It's why I still proudly wear my Vinnie Lecavalier road white silver n blue (yep BEFORE the stolen Leaves® colors), and I have an old, beat up, black, white, silver Brad Richards #19 top I use as a house shirt or yard work shirt.

At a Minnesota Twins baseball game about three or four years ago, I saw a fan wearing a Terry Mulholland jersey and said to myself, "Now THAT is a fan...wearing a bottom tier, obscure MLB player jersey!"

I think you should hang onto your hockey sweaters!

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I honestly see no issue with wearing a sweater of a player no longer with an organization (unless it was a player you simply couldn't stand...but then again, if you did, you wouldn't have his sweater, no?)... it is like a badge of loyalty to a team that says, "I've been a fan of this team since THIS guy!".

It's why I still proudly wear my Vinnie Lecavalier road white silver n blue (yep BEFORE the stolen Leaves® colors), and I have an old, beat up, black, white, silver Brad Richards #19 top I use as a house shirt or yard work shirt.

At a Minnesota Twins baseball game about three or four years ago, I saw a fan wearing a Terry Mulholland jersey and said to myself, "Now THAT is a fan...wearing a bottom tier, obscure MLB player jersey!"

I think you should hang onto your hockey sweaters!

It’s an authentic NHL Sabres road jersey.  Remember when the light jersey used to be home and they switched it years ago?  

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Depending on the jersey color and material, they can be useful for a full of other things. As I'm going camping quite often and as mosquitoes loves me (even the australian toxic and forbidden repellents are useless) I'm usually wearing a Maksa Ultrafil white Stars Andy Moog jersey, a really thick tissue they used to wear in the early 90. With the triple layer customizing and the heavy large crest, nothing can bite me through this.