Weber/Dadonov trade

The Canadiens trade Shea Weber to Vegas in exchange for Evgenii Dadonov

Dadonov put up 43 points in 78 games in Vegas this past season

by Montreal Canadiens @CanadiensMTL / News release
 5:33 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager, Kent Hughes, announced on Thursday that the Club has traded defenseman Shea Weber to the Vegas Golden Knights in return for forward Evgenii Dadonov.

"First of all, I would like to thank Shea for all that he has done for and represented to the Montreal Canadiens," said Hughes. "Not only was Shea an exceptional hockey player who played through significant injuries in an attempt to bring the Stanley Cup back to Montreal, he was also a great leader whose leadership will have a positive impact on our team well beyond his time with us. I also want to welcome Evgenii Dadonov to our organization.

He is a talented forward who has produced at all levels since the start of his career."

Dadonov, 33, played 78 games with the Golden Knights in 2021-22, recording 43 points (20 goals, 23 assists). The left-handed forward also served 18 penalty minutes. The Chelyabinsk, RU native skated in 413 career games in the NHL with the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, and Golden Knights, tallying 124 goals and 141 assists.

Weber registered 146 points (58 goals, 88 assists) in 275 games with the Canadiens. In 2020-21, he captained the team to its first Stanley Cup Final since 1993.

Good deal for both teams, Shea Weber and his dead contract have been shipped to the Knights in exchange for Evgeni Dadonov.

Montreal gets a decent middle six winger who has offensive ability but is lazy defensively. They tried to trade him to the Ducksat the deadline but the deal was vetoed by the league as Anaheim was on his no trade list, creating an embarrassing situation. He actually played better for Vegas down the stretch than most of the other forwards. He is essentially a free add for Montreal.

Vegas gets a dead contract that can be placed on LTIR and is rid of Dadonov who was a poor fit in their system. 

Good deal for both.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Good deal for both teams, Shea Weber and his dead contract have been shipped to the Knights in exchange for Evgeni Dadonov.

Montreal gets a decent middle six winger who has offensive ability but is lazy defensively. They tried to trade him to the Ducksat the deadline but the deal was vetoed by the league as Anaheim was on his no trade list, creating an embarrassing situation. He actually played better for Vegas down the stretch than most of the other forwards. He is essentially a free add for Montreal.

Vegas gets a dead contract that can be placed on LTIR and is rid of Dadonov who was a poor fit in their system. 

Good deal for both.

YAY!!
A "husk of" usage sighting!! 😃

Agreed on good deal for both.
I am not a fan of Dadonov, never was, but if anyone can perhaps unlock whatever he has left, and on a team that is looking for something, someone, anyone, who can play decent hockey, it is Martin St. Louis behind the bench.
Can't hurt Montreal at this point to have a look-see.

As you said, Knights out from under the "Dad" contract (remember when I said in your Vegas review thread that McPhee would need to get creative real quick?), and that combined with the Cassidy hire gives Vegas a solid track record coach, cap space, AND removal of a player who was never going to be part of a solution for getting back to the playoffs for the team.

I'd say McPhee is off to another great off season start....I get the feeling more is to come from him.

• Like 1

I posted this at the same time as you, lol. I am deleting mine in a minute, just my thoughts on the deal in here first.

Montreal gets a middle six winger who can score for essentially nothing. Good deal for them. I would not be surprised if there isnt some cap relief with Vegas eating part of the contract.

Vegas gets rid of Dadonov who they screwed up trying to trade him to the Ducks last year at the deadline, problem was the Ducks were on his no trade list and the deal was voided. Truth is he played damn good hockey down the stretch and was not the reason Vegas missed the playoffs. After the screw up it was a must that they deal him as soon as possible. 

I thimk both got what they wanted but Vegas wins the deal by clearing 5 million off the books and getting rid of the player who they screwed up trading at the deadline. Montreal gets a decent quality player in Dadonov but five million in todays cap era for a 45 point a year player is a lot, if Vegas is not eating part of the contract Vegas giddily can go make an add or two. Montreal for five million could have added two, perhaps three quality players

Dadanov will be turning 34 at the end of next season and if his stats continue to dip as they have since his 60 and 70 point years he could end up doing the same thing as Radulov did skipping off to the KHL for the huge amount of Rubles. 

It also seems like to me that Vegas is a team that just can't get enough of the wheelin' and dealin'.  This deal does seem to favor them, but they do seem to do deals out of the blue sometimes. 

• Like 1

George McPhee is pretty good at what he does.

His moves over the years as Knights GM seems to have perplexed some, made others laugh at 'how foolish' he is, or just appear completely random to others.
But as long as the man behind the moves understands how they help the team, understands the long term impact, and probably has plans B, C, D to fall back on, that is all that matters.

I keep waiting for McPhee to paint himself into a corner, and even when it appears he might have, he always finds a way to either get out, fix things....or hell, maybe everything he does is part of some master plan....even if it looks dumb in the short term.

And it's not even just about signings and tradings....I think the man does a good job on reading his rival GM's and is pretty good at 'selling' something to someone, while making it seem like it's the OTHER guy's great idea.

About the only thing he hasn't achieved yet, at least not directly, is win a Stanley Cup, although one could argue it was his architecture that had Washington win their only Cup, even if by that time, he was gone.

I wonder if he sold some "hope" about Dadonov to the Canadiens, while gladly doing Montreal "the favor" of taking Weber's huge LTIR-able contract off their hands.
Whatever he did to make this deal happen, he got rid of a player who was going to be a non factor moving forward, and it will be fun watching this wizard of dealin' continue to do work this off season as he tirelessly tries to find a way to get the Knights back into contention.

If he can somehow orchestrate Willie Karlsson's exit from Vegas, that will be another huge step for him doing just that.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26