2022-23 Iowa Wild and Prospects Thread **

I don’t get how Pronman likes him but then says he has limited offense, the hockey IQ isn’t there, and if you get a third line center out of him you should be happy. 

That doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

This is true. I wasn’t “excited” with this pick when you look at others who were available. I was honestly very underwhelmed. But all that matters down the line is how does he develop. Pronman and some others like him. As you said, you can’t teach that size. I just hope he isn’t another Greeway.

Having said all of that, I love the pick of Heidt at the end of round 2. How did he fall that far when most projected him top 15 to top 20 overall? There had to be a reason but you can’t deny that is great value there for the Wild. That pick does excite me.

Heidt was a very polarizing player among scouts.  I will share a lot more when I do my draft recap this Sunday and I'll make sure I post it in the podcast thread.  

• Thanks 1

Here is a description regarding Heidt on eliteprospects link:

Nasty physically, despite his 5-foot-11 frame, Heidt has the handling, shooting, and vision to inflict major damage on opponents. He takes the extra stride to play the body, never passes up an opportunity to sneak in a shot behind the play, and is an enthusiastic combatant in scrums. On retrievals, Heidt establishes inside positioning early, drives through opponents’ hands, and separates them from the puck. And the use of contact to create space in the small area game allows him to spin off of defensive pressure and attack the inside. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL

Among 6 drafted players we have got 3 Minnesotans for the 1st time in a Wild history in a single draft. So far, I have more interest in 2 players: Heidt (round #2; 64th overall) and Jimmy Clark (round#7; 213th overall).Clark doesn’t just advance the puck to open teammates; he creates those openings with fake shots and look offs before slipping pucks through traffic. With a quick fake, he pulls defenders towards him and dekes through them. Where many offload the puck, he waits a split-second to find a better option. And he pulls off all these plays at top speed. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide.

Here is more to read:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/wild-selects-six-players-in-2023-nhl-draft-062923/c-345129190

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 7:23 AM, Alexandron said:

Here is a description regarding Heidt on eliteprospects link:

Nasty physically, despite his 5-foot-11 frame, Heidt has the handling, shooting, and vision to inflict major damage on opponents. He takes the extra stride to play the body, never passes up an opportunity to sneak in a shot behind the play, and is an enthusiastic combatant in scrums. On retrievals, Heidt establishes inside positioning early, drives through opponents’ hands, and separates them from the puck. And the use of contact to create space in the small area game allows him to spin off of defensive pressure and attack the inside. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL

Its interesting to see how different their description of Riley Heidt is compared to HockeyProspect.com's viewing of him.  They certainly see some similar things but while one make him sound like a hitting machine the other makes him sound a lot different.  If you're only going to consult one source, you're likely going to get deceived.  

On 6/29/2023 at 6:51 PM, IllaZilla said:

I don’t get how Pronman likes him but then says he has limited offense, the hockey IQ isn’t there, and if you get a third line center out of him you should be happy. 

That doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. 

I agree, it certainly doesn't.  Especially for your 1st round selection.  The interesting thing to see was how one of the 'experts' Byron Bader, the same guy who first said the Wild had the #1 prospect pool in the NHL, whom the Billy Goats all fell over themselves parading this around; he ripped the Charlie Stramel pick.  Then watching the same Billy Goats suddenly fall over themselves say that it was just one bad season at Wisconsin and he shouldn't be judged on that, the experts are wrong, in Billy G they trust and all of that crap.  So the analytics folks love analytics until it says the Wild were wrong...and then suddenly analytics has somehow got it all wrong.  

Wild re-signed Zane McIntyre, Dakota Mermis and Nick Swaney and added Vinni Letteri.  Hunter Jones probably just said FML when he saw that news because it likely means he's going back to the Iowa Heartlanders who probably have one more season left until they fold.  

Mermis is going to be the veteran and leadership voice for Iowa after being a good soldier the last two seasons.  Swaney has been good when he's been healthy and is a lot like he was in college where he's a streaky scorer.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

So here's whose potentially in Iowa next year as I see it.  

C / LW - Caeden Bankier

LW - Mikey Milne

C - Sam Hentges

RW/LW - Sammy Walker

RW - Nick Swaney

C / LW - Steven Fogarty

C / LW / RW - Nic Petan

C / RW - Vinni Lettieri

D - Kyle Masters

D - Carson Lambos

D - Daemon Hunt

D - Ryan O'Rourke

D - Dakota Mermis

D - Simon Johansson

D - David Spacek

G - Jesper Wallstedt

G - Zane McIntyre

G - Hunter Jones

Add Jake Lucchini to the Iowa Wild roster, another center.  

I would agree.  Everyone has been patting Judd Brackett on the back for a while, but so far...we haven't seen a single player that he's drafted make a difference for the Minnesota Wild.  This is a big year for his reputation here in Minnesota and for the players he drafted.  

17 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Add 

F - Casey Dornbach

D - Louie Boudon

D - Landon Koisior

Both are 5'11" offensive defenseman...

Edina-native, Casey Dornbach is a Invitee at this upcoming Wild prospect camp.  He didn't get much of a look late in the season for Iowa last year after he turned pro.  Boudon impressed with his play late in the season after signing as a free agent.  

Since I'm guessing the team is going to go with the kids; especially on defense this season they will need someone to make up for the points they got from Joe Hicketts they've had the last two years.  Joe Hicketts was a great leader / teammate for Iowa too.  

Oh and don't forget RW - Pavel Novak who will be coming off a season lost to cancer.  He was looking rather promising in his time with Kelowna, but he might have to be used a bit more sparingly if there are any after affects to his treatment.  

Iowa Wild GM Mike Murray today announced that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has signed Kale Kessy, Greg Meireles, and Brenden Miller to 1-year, 1-way AHL contracts. The team also signed Brett Budgell and Kevin Conley to one-year, two-way AHL contracts

More names added to the mix to fill out the rosters with either Iowa club.  

I just looked for Development Roster at Summer Camp which is going to happen on July 7-9. It seems intriguing: 2 from Czehia; 1 from Slovakia; 1 from Russia; 2 from Sweden; 1 from Finland; 1 from France; 9 Minnesotans. Interesting all 4 goalies are invitees. Maybe one of them will present an interest for the Wild club future roster.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:22 PM, Alexandron said:

I just looked for Development Roster at Summer Camp which is going to happen on July 7-9. It seems intriguing: 2 from Czehia; 1 from Slovakia; 1 from Russia; 2 from Sweden; 1 from Finland; 1 from France; 9 Minnesotans. Interesting all 4 goalies are invitees. Maybe one of them will present an interest for the Wild club future roster.

This shouldn't matter AT ALL.  The only thing that should matter is can they play and have they shown improvement.  But please...continue to fixate on where they are from.  

On 7/5/2023 at 9:50 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

This shouldn't matter AT ALL.  The only thing that should matter is can they play and have they shown improvement.  But please...continue to fixate on where they are from.  

For me is matter. I would like to see the difference of the team with different players including Minnesotans and from other countries, because they can bring their own specific style of play like Kaprizov, Gaborik, Pavol Demitra, and team based on Minnesotans won Olympic's. Hope with the new AHL coaching team the development of the young prospects from different countries will be better. With previous one was a disaster. We should bring more optimistic mentality and be more patriotic regarding our Wild club future. Guerin really would like change the team in that direction which gives us an interest.

I listened an interview of Danila Yurov which he had on 7/7/23. Interpreter was not very good. Simple questions and answers he had difficulties to translate. But Danila's English was not bad at all when he was talking on English. From my understanding Kaprizov sent to him a supporting letter and helping him now in Minnesota. Probably Danila will play one more season in KHL to finish his professional preparation and then he will play directly in NHL.

Joe Smith

@JoeSmithNHL

Really awesome to see #mnwild prospect Pavel Novak. Cancer free, got back on ice for first time in December. Not participating fully in development camp due to a lower body injury. But plans to be ready for training camp. “It’s been amazing and kind of emotional for me.”

On 7/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, Alexandron said:

I listened an interview of Danila Yurov which he had on 7/7/23. Interpreter was not very good. Simple questions and answers he had difficulties to translate. But Danila's English was not bad at all when he was talking on English. From my understanding Kaprizov sent to him a supporting letter and helping him now in Minnesota. Probably Danila will play one more season in KHL to finish his professional preparation and then he will play directly in NHL.

Guerin didn't seem to have issues with what Yurov had to say.  In fact, he gave him a lot of credit for improving his English language skills considerably in one year.  Yurov seems focused on coming over after next season.  

It shouldn't matter, hockey is hockey.  This team wants to play gritty and heavy game.  I don't think they will draft only from nations where they feel they can find gritty players; they will draft players they think are gritty.  Kaprizov texted Yurov and welcomed him to Minnesota; he also said he is waiting to play with him.  

In case anyone caught Russo's latest Straight from the Source podcast, Guerin had some very interesting things to say about prospect camp in general.  I will summarize to save people time.  

1.  Guerin openly wondered whether having the prospects skate in drills and be put through their paces was actually necessary.  If anything, it sounded like he valued the meet-n-greet value / team-organization bonding way more than having them due drills although he said that would have to be something that Brad Bombardir and the player development folks felt comfortable with before they did away with the hockey stuff altogether.  Guerin said he wondered if the competitive nature of previous prospect camps was actually harmful because of how much stress and pressure it put on the younger players.  Seems to fly in the face of his comments about how players need to have "FU" in their game and having initiative when they get the chance.  

2.  Guerin said he told the prospects that the camp was not evaluative.  He said it was development focused.  He said evaluation is more about training camp and perhaps the prospect scrimmages they'll have against Chicago & St. Louis this September.  

3.  He said he talked a lot with Danila Yurov, said he talked to him for about an hour.  Said he was excited about camp and just meeting with the players in general.  

4.  He noted how many players have chosen to stay and train in Minnesota over the summer including Matt Boldy, Ryan Hartman, Filip Gustavasson, Calen Addison, Vinni Lettieri, John Merrill and Marco Rossi.  He said Rossi was the only one they ASKED to stay and train here.  The others just did so on their own.  

The rest was a lot of food and drink stuff that wasn't that important or interesting.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 11:36 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Guerin didn't seem to have issues with what Yurov had to say.  In fact, he gave him a lot of credit for improving his English language skills considerably in one year.  Yurov seems focused on coming over after next season.  

It shouldn't matter, hockey is hockey.  This team wants to play gritty and heavy game.  I don't think they will draft only from nations where they feel they can find gritty players; they will draft players they think are gritty.  Kaprizov texted Yurov and welcomed him to Minnesota; he also said he is waiting to play with him.  

In case anyone caught Russo's latest Straight from the Source podcast, Guerin had some very interesting things to say about prospect camp in general.  I will summarize to save people time.  

1.  Guerin openly wondered whether having the prospects skate in drills and be put through their paces was actually necessary.  If anything, it sounded like he valued the meet-n-greet value / team-organization bonding way more than having them due drills although he said that would have to be something that Brad Bombardir and the player development folks felt comfortable with before they did away with the hockey stuff altogether.  Guerin said he wondered if the competitive nature of previous prospect camps was actually harmful because of how much stress and pressure it put on the younger players.  Seems to fly in the face of his comments about how players need to have "FU" in their game and having initiative when they get the chance.  

2.  Guerin said he told the prospects that the camp was not evaluative.  He said it was development focused.  He said evaluation is more about training camp and perhaps the prospect scrimmages they'll have against Chicago & St. Louis this September.  

3.  He said he talked a lot with Danila Yurov, said he talked to him for about an hour.  Said he was excited about camp and just meeting with the players in general.  

4.  He noted how many players have chosen to stay and train in Minnesota over the summer including Matt Boldy, Ryan Hartman, Filip Gustavasson, Calen Addison, Vinni Lettieri, John Merrill and Marco Rossi.  He said Rossi was the only one they ASKED to stay and train here.  The others just did so on their own.  

The rest was a lot of food and drink stuff that wasn't that important or interesting.  

What you posted in point #1 got me thinking about how BG said in an earlier podcast that the cap crunch wasn’t an excuse for the team getting bounced in the playoffs again, but when Evason gets criticized for not getting past the first round, he defends him by saying he is dealing with a team that is hamstrung by the cap crunch. So which is it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

What you posted in point #1 got me thinking about how BG said in an earlier podcast that the cap crunch wasn’t an excuse for the team getting bounced in the playoffs again, but when Evason gets criticized for not getting past the first round, he defends him by saying he is dealing with a team that is hamstrung by the cap crunch. So which is it?

I agree.  Yea that was a pretty obvious contradiction.  I still think its odd he mentions its season four for Dean Evason etc, so what?  How many more seasons does he need to learn from before he finally learns enough to be able to coach a team beyond the 1st round?  

I think we’ll finally see what type of coach Evason really is this season AND what type of scouting department the Wild has. There won’t be any big Zuccarello type signings to fill in the holes. It’s going to be “run what you brung”. 

Evason has shown either he is unwilling or unable to make in game adjustments on the fly. He also has a tendency to “stick with what works” for too long when it isn’t working. 

I don’t know. It certainly is going to be an interesting season. Maybe we’ll finally see that rebuild and the Wild end up in the top five of the lottery draft. Not that I have any confidence in the Wild’s scouting department…

• Like 1