Berube - when did people start calling him "Chief"?

aziz

I did high school in Pittsburgh, so only caught Flyers games when they came to town, and then it was always Pens' coverage.  Never heard anyone call Berube "Chief".  Of course, when the color guy is Paul Staigerwald, you don't expect much in the way of interesting or endearing regarding the visiting team.

Anyway.  I then moved to Va Beach in '91.  Va Beach is in the Caps' broadcast area, so saw a ton of Caps' coverage.  At the time, Craig Laughlin seemed to call the team's tough guy of the moment "Chief".  I don't remember anyone specifically, just whoever was moving the needle physically seemed to get that name.  Eventually, Berbube went to the Caps, and he became "Chief".  Kind of figured it was a weirdo title bestowed for a few minutes by a weirdo color guy.

Now, I'm watching clips from Nasty Knuckles, and they all (who ever happens to be on the episode) call Berube "Chief", if they are telling an old story or whatever.

Was that his long-time nickname?  Or did it just stick, for some reason, from his time in Washington?  Was he "Chief" while in Philly, people who were watching in the late 80's?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aziz said:

saw a ton of Caps' coverage.  At the time, Craig Laughlin seemed to call the team's tough guy of the moment "Chief".

Sorry nobody more knowledgeable has replied; esp. since Craig Laughlin calling anyone by a nickname is as common (and guaranteed) as Ye is to uttering something outrageous.  (Can’t put much stock in either 😉)

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

Sorry nobody more knowledgeable has replied; esp. since Craig Laughlin calling anyone by a nickname is as common (and guaranteed) as Ye is to uttering something outrageous.  (Can’t put much stock in either 😉)

Ha, fair enough.  And yes, the Laughlin ran his mouth in some weird directions, pretty much always.  Those two are my all time favorite "partisan" broadcast team, though.  Beninati calls a really strong, engaging and fair game, and Laughlin is like your crazy uncle that can always be counted on to make Thanksgiving dinner vaguely uncomfortable but fun (for the kids, anyway).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure it goes back to the eighties and even before that.

Ah, ok.  So he happened to go to the team where the insane color guy called everyone Chief, having already been Chief.  Thank you, sir.

• Like 1