I love Jacob Trouba, why is every clean but hard hit a reason for retaliation

yave1964

I used to make the same argument for Kronwall.....

I have said this for years, it makes absolutely ZERO sense that a player can level a perfectly clean but brutal hit on someone and have to answer for the clean hit with someone running him seconds later. I love that Trouba is willing to say, "I am going to hit you, and if your teammate is dumb enough to come after me for a clean hit then i am going to fight him  and usually kick his tail." Trouba is one of my four or five favorite players in the game today, his scoring is down because he has adjusted his game to his partner, he has been paired with the talented but inexperienced K'andre Miller who is a puck mover, Trouba has given up his own offense to allow his partner to roam while he serves as a wonderful line of defense. There is a reason the Rangers overwhelmingly wanted him to be their captain, he is selfless and puts the team first even at the expense of his own numbers. He can play for me any day of the week.

He brings something to the table that Kronner who I loved never did, a willingness to back up a particularly beautiful but viscous hit by dropping the mitts. Kronner would hit someone, get into a facewash with someone and then skate away, Trouba drills your teammate and then when you try to fight him for it more often than not he embarrasses you for doing so by kicking your tail. And the wimpy face washers, the guys who 'come to your defense' without dropping the gloves, they regret it as often as not seconds later. I remember Trouba destroying a Devil, Johnsson or Tatar, one of the suspecting wingers and Hischier showing exception by grabbing Trouba without dropping the gloves and Trouba intimidating him and letting him know in no uncertain terms that this is a mans game, play it right or pay the price. Trouba is a nasty piece of work, one of the new breed, one of my favorites and I am glad that more players start playing that style. Hard, nasty clean rugged hockey is going away replaced by a softer version that at times is almost an embarrassment but some players have responded in an incredibly fun way to watch. Glad that there are still a few skill players, Trouba, Tkachuk in Ottawa, Tkachuk in Florida, the incredibly underrated Montour also in the sunshine state, Marchment in Dallas, Koneckny in Philly is one too. Hathaway in Washington, Gudas, that kid in Buffalo, Dahlin has a nasty streak and responds to every challenge. I love the knuckle draggers as well, the Deslauriers, Schenn and Maroon types who have found a role and play it well but it is nice to see that so many teams have a skilled player who is a leader on the team who is fearless and bringing back a part of the game that looked like it was dying off. 

The game has gotten faster and more skilled and softer in so many ways but quite a few skilled players have responded with a style all their own, they can cut you so many ways, they can score or drill you if you are not paying attention. My Wings are the softest team in the game this year, it is sad watching them pushed around all over the ice, we dont have a Trouba or Tkachuk or Montour, IMHO every team needs and deserves to have one. Or two. Love their style of Hockey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

watched it several times ....it was a dirty hit!  .... (LOL)

Only busting your chops @yave1964 .. LOL

Seriously ... it was as clean as a hit as you can get.  Elbow pointed down and it was shoulder to shoulder.  Agree with you 100% on post.  I don't get why players get their panties all in a wad on clean hits like this.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

watched it several times ....it was a dirty hit!  .... (LOL)

Only busting your chops @yave1964 .. LOL

Seriously ... it was as clean as a hit as you can get.  Elbow pointed down and it was shoulder to shoulder.  Agree with you 100% on post.  I don't get why players get their panties all in a wad on clean hits like this.

I kind of want to ask Matthew Tkachuk about why he felt it was necessary to fight Matt Dumba after a similar hit to Mikael Backlund...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I kind of want to ask Matthew Tkachuk about why he felt it was necessary to fight Matt Dumba after a similar hit to Mikael Backlund...

Agreed. Retaliation fights are ridiculous and no matter who it is should come with a game misconduct. No place in the game for going after someone for a clean hit.

• Like 1