Severson dealt to Columbus in sign and trade

The Devils signed Damon Severson to an eight year 6.25 million dollar per year deal, (50 million total) and then traded him to the Jackets for a 3rd round pick. Severson was set to be an UFA in a very weak free agent class especially on the blueline so he was bound to break the bank, This is the second big bold move for the Jackets as they attempt to rebuild agressively as the SCF is still going on.

First move was dealing a couple of picks for Ivan Provorov, Severson for a third and signed to a long term deal gives Columbus a top four of Zack Werenski, Provorov, Severson and top prospect David Jiricek, which is a damn fine top four. The bottom pair will be Rugged Erik Gudbranson and one of two top prospects, First rounder Denton Mateychuk or Corson Ceulemans. This is now a very deep, very talented defense, one of the best in the league.

It also allows the CBJ to dangle Jake Bean and Adam Boqvist as well as Andrew Peake, all gifted young defenseman as they try to find a goalie and a top line center.

I love the Jackets defense now, seriously think it is a playoff quality defense but goaltending is a gaping black hole and they lack a top line center. Look, i love Boone Jenner, he is one of my favorite players in the game but he is a jordan Stall type forced to play a 1C role because they dont have one. Roslovic ideally is a 3C, Jenner a 2C, they must find a number one center or the team is spinning their wheels, but i love the agressive moves rebuilding the defense, it is a matter of if they can do anything with Bean, Boqvist and Peake to fill the other glaring holes, something that i do like their chances of doing as again, it is a very weak defense class and columbus has some B level assets to move still.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Tomas Hertl 40% retained for Elvis Merzlikins, Cole Sillinger and Columbus' 3rd overall

So who is going to back stop for the Jackets if they pulled that off?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So who is going to back stop for the Jackets if they pulled that off?

Merzlikens is not a winning goalie and is signed to a long term deal based off a hot half a year. It would be like the Kings signing career minor leaguer Copley to an 8 year deal based off what he did in 30 starts last year. There are half a dozen better options readily available.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Merzlikens is not a winning goalie and is signed to a long term deal based off a hot half a year. It would be like the Kings signing career minor leaguer Copley to an 8 year deal based off what he did in 30 starts last year. There are half a dozen better options readily available.

Ok so then they just sign a free agent?

10 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Wow wasn't aware he was already 29.

Yikes and over paid for some reason I thought he was still young.

Well then after the trade you'll get to shout

"Elvis is leaving the building..." :hehe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so then they just sign a free agent?

Lots of depth in free agent goalies

Varlamov

Fredrik Andersen

Tristan jarry

Adin Hill

They are likely stuck with Elvis because of the bad contract but I would take any of the above if I could.

Actually they have a very good nhl ready kid named danill tarasov who will be given every chance to steal the net leaving Elvis as a very overpriced backup.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Lots of depth in free agent goalies

Varlamov

Fredrik Andersen

Tristan jarry

Adin Hill

They are likely stuck with Elvis because of the bad contract but I would take any of the above if I could.

Actually they have a very good nhl ready kid named danill tarasov who will be given every chance to steal the net leaving Elvis as a very overpriced backup.

That's why I made that hypothetical offer lol

They get Hertl a better C than anyone they have and dump a horrid goalie contract for a prospect and 3rd overall lol

• Like 1