Ullmark wins Vezina in 2023

Brewin Flames

Ullmark of Bruins wins Vezina Trophy as best goalie in NHL

Tied for League lead in victories, was 1st in goals-against average, save percentage

by David Satriano @davidsatriano / NHL.com Staff Writer
 12:24 AM
cut.jpg

Ullmark wins the Vezina Trophy

NASHVILLE -- Linus Ullmark said it took some time for him to fully grasp the magnitude of being a finalist for the Vezina Trophy, which is awarded annually to the NHL's best goalie.

"We've only had two prior Vezina Trophy winners from Sweden," the Boston Bruins goalie said Sunday. "For me to be in this position is huge."

On Monday at the 2023 NHL Awards, Ullmark became the third Sweden-born goalie to win the Vezina. Henrik Lundqvist won the award in 2012 with the New York Rangers, and Pelle Lindbergh won it in 1985 with the Philadelphia Flyers.

"Henrik Lundqvist and Pelle Lindbergh [have] been big inspirations throughout Sweden when it comes to the goalie community," Ullmark said Monday. "Pelle at first and then Henrik. Henrik is a (Hockey) Hall of Famer now, first ballot (being inducted in the Class of 2023). So being in the same conversation as them is very honorable and very fun for me."

Lundqvist, in turn, had high praise for Ullmark.

"Linus is so deserving of this award," he said. "His play this season was just at another level. So impressed with his consistency throughout the season. … As a fellow Swede, of course you root for him a little extra."

Ullmark finished with 127 points, including 22 first-place votes. Ilya Sorokin of the New York Islanders was second with 70 points (three first-place votes), and Connor Hellebuyck of the Winnipeg Jets was third with 32 points (two) in the voting, which was conducted by NHL general managers before the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Ilya and Connor had terrific seasons as well," Ullmark said. "I think it was very close. … I'm very fortunate and very happy that it turned out to be me."

Boston coach Jim Montgomery, who won the Jack Adams Award on Monday as the NHL's best coach, said Ullmark was a big part of Bruins' historic season. They set NHL records with 65 wins and 135 points.

Ullmark was 40-6-1 with a 1.89 goals-against average, .938 save percentage and two shutouts in 49 games (48 starts) for the Bruins this season. He led the NHL in GAA and save percentage, and tied Alexandar Georgiev for the League lead in wins.

The 29-year-old from Lugnvik, Sweden, allowed two or fewer goals in 36 games and became the fastest goalie in NHL history to reach 40 wins in a season (in his 49th game).

He and teammate Jeremy Swayman shared the William M. Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest goals (177) during the season.

cut.jpg

Ullmark on his Vezina Trophy win

• 02:29 • June 26th, 2023

Ullmark, a sixth-round pick (No. 163) by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2012 NHL Draft, said he doesn't believe he had a breakthrough season, though his statistics indicate otherwise. He had NHL career highs in wins, GAA, save percentage, games played and starts in his eighth season in the League and second with Boston.

"For me, personally, I always knew I could stop pucks," Ullmark said. "But it's always something different that has to fall in place. And playing with the team in front of me that I had this year was such a special thing to do. Talking about relationships, talk about trust, and that's what we had. The bond that we had together, like we always knew what the other guy was going to do and we were taking care of [jobs] at all times."

Ullmark also became the 13th goalie in NHL history to score a goal, launching the puck from his own end into an empty net in the Bruins' 3-1 win against the Vancouver Canucks on Feb. 25.

"You always remember and cherish it, but at the same time you go about your day-to-day," he said. "But then someone brings it up and it's, like, 'Yeah, I actually did score in the NHL as the first Swede as well to do it.' It's something I dreamed about ever since I started practicing and see other goalies like Martin Brodeur and Ron Hextall.

There are quite a few more tries before I get up to those guys' levels."

Ullmark played through an undisclosed injury during Boston's seven-game loss to the Florida Panthers in the Eastern Conference First Round. He said Sunday that he's feeling good.

"I've had time to recharge, rehabilitate, taking care of myself and I'm ready to go," Ullmark said. "That's the most important part. It's been a couple of weeks or even a few months. Sometimes it's good to just have that break, taking time away from it."

I'm old enough to remember when Ullmark was a terrible goalie who couldn't make the Sabres competitive.

That that had more to do with the Sabres being wretched wasn't applicable at the time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Congrats to Linus.
He really has come a long way since his days of backstopping the Bison boys with 'expert' assistance from defensive stalwarts like Ristolainen, Hunwick, and Tennyson! :shifty: 
Who knew all a goalie needed was a very good team in front of him to help realize his full potential?? What a concept! 

Will this be the peak for Linus though?
Scuttlebutt is he won't be returning to Boston, so does that mean he takes his talents and makes a contender of and helps put someone else over the top?
Or will he revert back to Bison Ullmark and this Vezina thing never to be spoken of again with regards to his play?

We will see!

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Well deserved. I think this was a foregone conclusion by New years day. 

Well, you know, yave, there is ALWAYS a chance that a group of voting writers, after a drinking binge put their votes in for Robin Lehner...I mean, Vegas DID win the Cup after all and were built on HIS IR stint. :ph34r: 

• Haha 1