VGK trade Reilly Smith to the Penguins

Always sad to see NHL teams break up their championship teams a few weeks after winning the Cup...how they expect to win the Cup again with different players is always laughable to me...Stanley Cup championship teams that don't try to keep their teams intact after winning don't deserve to win again next year...

6 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Always sad to see NHL teams break up their championship teams a few weeks after winning the Cup...how they expect to win the Cup again with different players is always laughable to me...Stanley Cup championship teams that don't try to keep their teams intact after winning don't deserve to win again next year...

I agree with you about breaking up championship teams, but in this case was actually being facetious.
I think Vegas will continue to try and go for Cups, but their GM George McPhee is pretty savvy about looking ahead.

They prefer to keep their team filled with B-B+ players, with the occasional A player in there in order to roll 4 lines and 3 pair defense on the ice.

Remember they have Jack Eichel whom they paid a premium for...I don't think they are satisfied with just the one Cup and having Eichel on their squad at his still young age.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I agree with you about breaking up championship teams, but in this case was actually being facetious.
I think Vegas will continue to try and go for Cups, but their GM George McPhee is pretty savvy about looking ahead.

They prefer to keep their team filled with B-B+ players, with the occasional A player in there in order to roll 4 lines and 3 pair defense on the ice.

Remember they have Jack Eichel whom they paid a premium for...I don't think they are satisfied with just the one Cup and having Eichel on their squad at his still young age.

You are right of course...but to get rid of one of they last 6 remaining original Knights within weeks of winning the Cup is just cold and just plain rude...but I know it's a business but even as a business model I think they should be keeping their originals because it's better PR in the long run...

I'm a fan of Smith - have been for a few years - but I thought he was a little quiet this year - and thought them signing Barb was a good selection...  I also absolutely hated when they dealt Fluery - but, Vegas does have pretty good timing of not holding onto their players once they start to decline...  

Tickets booked for the October 10th game and see them raise the banner...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

I'm a fan of Smith - have been for a few years - but I thought he was a little quiet this year - and thought them signing Barb was a good selection...  I also absolutely hated when they dealt Fluery - but, Vegas does have pretty good timing of not holding onto their players once they start to decline...  

Your screen name and avatar are awesome.

8 hours ago, Confrontational said:

Man, LOTS of players should be as "quiet" as Smith as they hit declining phases...guy still was about a .75 PPG player, still had enough balance with scoring and assists to get to 56 pts, and still played a decent defensive game as a two way winger.

But I DO get your point.
That's one thing I think many fans miss about the Vegas Knights: Their ability to look ahead, cut bait with certain players at times when perhaps others people may think they are nuts for doing so, and doing every single thing they can to ice the most competitive team possible.

They may have been given all manner of advantages when they were the expansion team, and were shielded from Seattle's pillaging of the villages, but George McPhee has done a damned masterful job from the GM's chair and the staff of coaches and management he has around him seem to know when the time is to let go of certain players, get others in, and keep the process rolling.
THAT is exactly the kind of GM'ing, scouting, and general running of an NHL team others should strive for.

Reilly Smith will help the Penguins, but I also believe the Knights already have guys they think can replace not only his output, but his presence on the ice.
If not in a 1 to 1 fashion, then certainly by committee...like your guy Barbashev there.

The one players I am surprised the Knights still have hanging around is Willie Karlsson.
He had a decent 50+ point season last year, but the two years prior to that, he was an eyesore on the team with regards to production!

He does have a modified NTC, so maybe that insulated him from the Knights simply doing away with him? Maybe.
I wonder if Karlsson reverts back to a lower than 50 pt pace this coming season if the Knights won't at least try to somehow move him along.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26