Kings Preview- are they a cup contender?

yave1964

FINAL RECORD 47-25-10 104 points, 2nd in Pacific, Lost in first round to the Oilers. plus 23 goal differetial

ADDITIONS They seemed to bid against themselves, but added their man in Pierre Luc dubois and signed him to an eight year deal. Gavrikov who came over at the deadline signed a long term deal. Cam Talbot came aboard to be part of the goalie tandem, bringing not so big game Dave Rittich with him. Trevor Lewis returns to the place where he won a couple of championships. 

DEPARTURES Korpisalo traded places with Talbot, going to Ottawa. Quick was dealt right before the deadline and is this years long term King who has moved on. Durzi lived in Scott Stevens doghouse for two years because of defensive lapses, in spite of enormous potential he was dealt to Arizona. Edler is likely retiring. Iafallo, Lizotte and Kupari were dealt for PLD. They found a team willing to take Petersen. Zach McEwen has moved on.

ROOKIES AND PROSPECTS Remember the name Brandt Clarke, he is a real deal puck mover on the back end who has all the tools in his toolbox, he is the primary reason Durzi was dealt, he is my darkhorse candidate to win the Calder trophy this year. Jordan Spence and Moverare are decent defensive prospects, both will be given a chance to stick when/if injuries occur. Alex Turcotte will finally be given a chance to win a middle six winger spot. Samuel Pagemo has quietly thrust himself into the conversation as a 4th line body who can score a tad. Deep bunch of prospects of mixed pedigree who will all stick within the next year or so.

SO, ARE THEY A CUP CONTENDER? No team in the game is deeper down the middle than the Kings with Kopitar, PLD, Danault and Byfield. If doughty continues to age like fine wine and Clarke explodes on the scene the defense could be fantastic. They have three legit scorers on the wing. Lots to like.

STOP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH, ARE THEY LEGIT CONTENDERS OR NO? I love Scott Stevens as a coach, love half the team but they have a bitter poison pill which will leave them an also ran. I see them with 98 points, 3rd in the Division and a first round out because of their goaltending. Does anyone seriously think that Pheonix Copley who came back from the ashes of a less than mediocre career is going to repeat and go anywhere near 24-6-3 again? It is never in a million years going to happen. Cam talbot was good at his best, that was years ago. He is 36 coming off a mediocre at best season, he is capable of putting up slightly better numbers with a very good team around him, but he will doom the club to a first round exit. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@yave1964

I disagree with the whole post.

I mean not really, but  "dead on" on every post is kind of getting monotonous.

LA meet Edm ….. Edm meet LA

2 teams that could legitimately go far IF they had steady goaltending…

the Achilles heel for both teams….

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

LA meet Edm ….. Edm meet LA

2 teams that could legitimately go far IF they had steady goaltending…

the Achilles heel for both teams….

True. Kings drafted extremely well retooled rather than a full rebuild, then aggressive with free agents and through trades, put a deep solid team together hired a great coach for a young team and Petersen was the ultimate flop. He signed for 5x5 and was supposed to take the net from Quick, failed so spectacularly that he was demoted to Ontario and damn near had a shrink for a roommate because he lost his game so badly.  Reminds me of Mason in Columbus when he fell apart, both even finally donated to Philly. Anyway, if Petersen had lived up to the hype they would be cup contenders for five years instead, up against the cap they have a career minor leaguer who misspells his own first name and a 36 year old retread who cannot stay healthy playing key positions on a great roster. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@CamWardo,

Saw your second favorite team in the Kings, here is my preview on them 

I love the rebuild, hate the goalie situation. Peterson was supposed to be the answer but man did he bomb. Love getting Done bois but very hefty price. My favorite sleeper prospect is Clarke, just love the kid.

All that said, they are at the cap limit, doubtful they can add an impactful goalie, Copley is a career ahler who had a kid and of had a Andrew Hammond year. I would not bet on him winning as many games for the rest of his career as he did last year. Adding Cam Talbot ..ugh.

They go as far as the goalies allow. 3rd place, first round exit unless something changes in net.